The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What do you do with all your excess materials?

EQBallzz
EQBallzz
✭✭✭✭✭
I have 2 characters that I play (both with all hirelings) and 2 mules (also with hirelings). With the mats I'm getting from those combined with all the deconstruction mats and from bags and such I am always overloaded on materials. I have stacks and stacks of things I'm not sure what to do with like grapes, mash, malt, various traits and such.

I'm just wondering what everyone else is doing with all this stuff? Do you try to sell it in a guild store? Do you horde it? Do you just delete it all? It seems like there are only a handful of useful things and the rest is 0 value junk that just takes up space. I guess some of this will be fixed with the provisioning revamp but still curious what people have been doing with all this stuff.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    7 mules with bag upgrades and 50 lvl carry horses.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you horde it all? Do you think you will ever use it? lol
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EQBallzz wrote: »
    So you horde it all? Do you think you will ever use it? lol

Hum ... no i dont think i will honestly :P.

If i focused on selling stuff i craft and so on , then yes , it would be possible, but i mostly use this for myself and i generate far more than i spend. Therefore with time logic dictates i will just have an even bigger pile.

I imagine the true solution for this problem would be crafting things and selling or selling the raw mats. Not all crafted things will have higher market value than the raw materials spent to create them , so knowing the prices and what the craft for higher profits would be necessary.
    Edited by Nox_Aeterna on October 18, 2014 7:12PM
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It sounds like you are even more overloaded than I am. I try to sell some things, but as you noted some things won't sell. I plan to hang onto as much provisioning mats as I can. My biggest stockpile of those are Drinks mats, since most folks (me included) use only foods for buffs. However, that's due to change, so I'm keeping those mats to be prepared. Some armor and weapons traits and tempers sell very well, others will sell if you price right. I haven't tried selling racial stones, but new players might buy them, since out the door they have to pay 15g from a vendor to craft items. (Funny, but in the early game, racial stones were really worth finding, but past a certain point, they are the worst sort of junk-hate it when I get them from my hirelings) For all this stuff, when I run out of room, it will have to go in favor of valuable loot. I will vendor if I can, otherwise, just destroy.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I either craft with it (or alts to desconstruct for xp), or I sell it for gold.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are good points. Probably a good idea to hold onto some of those beverage mats until after the change. They may become much more valuable. It might also be wise to hold onto other mats for food and such until we see which mats get removed. Some of the more common/useless food mats might become more valuable later if they don't get removed.

I have tried selling some of those traits but they rarely sell and with only 30 slots to sell with per guild it seems like a waste. I currently have two guilds to utilize two guild banks and we have stacks and stacks of almost everything. It has made leveling up skills much easier and having every type of crafting mat on-hand is convenient but it comes at a high cost to have to give up 1 of 5 guild slots to get that. I'm in the process of condensing down the mats to a single guild again since my guild has become somewhat inactive and most have leveled what they need already.

• EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sell for gold? Most of it has a 0 gold value. =/
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Sell for gold? Most of it has a 0 gold value. =/

sorry skimmed through the op.

I sell the food mats for gold when have a gold value, just get rid of most of them. I craft food for the highest level I can use.
    Trait stones I keep, I never know when I'm going use them.
    Excess crafting mats I either use or sell.
    Rune stone, some I keep, some I get rid of.
    Alchemy mats I send to one character I craft potions with.
    Tempers I horde like there is no tomorrow.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Salacious
    Salacious
    ✭✭✭
    I horde everything. Ya never know when you'll need an alt
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wholesale some and save the rest for armor and weapon orders. You can make allot of money crafting items for others ;)
    Edited by kewl on October 19, 2014 7:34PM
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    I keep it, if it might have a use otherwise I remove it by sale or destruction. I also no longer loot everything in a container, depending on it's usefulness. I still collect all advance provisioning materials but ignore the basic mats that aren't used in a blue+ recipe. I no longer collect racial Mats. I decon all other items that aren't useful for craft research.
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When is any provisioning change actually happening? 5?
  • neueregel
    neueregel
    ✭✭✭
    7 mules with bag upgrades and 50 lvl carry horses.

Same here... I think I have like 1250 slots now with all 8 players, and my bank space of 220

I actually figured out that I can spend a half hour on my main player and make all recipes that yield 3 and 4 gold each (green and blue only)... I make about 3x more than if I just listed the provisioning mats. Plus, I get the gold right then from the vender. I made 10,000 gold yesterday, took me about 40 min I guess... and I freed up about 30 slots on my alt that holds the prov mats.

The other mats I store on other alts and use them as needed. Like enchanting, and alchemy. I keep all the trait and style mats on another mule, but I may throw out the trait mats soon...i have thousands of those,and they don't sell... I wish they at least had a vender value of 1...
    Are you not entertained?
    On my command, unleash hell!
    What we do in life echoes in eternity
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just wondering what everyone else is doing with all this stuff? Do you try to sell it in a guild store? Do you horde it?

I have one mule for Clothing and Wood mats, one for BS Mats, Traits and Racials, one for Alchemy, and one for Provisioning. For the first two mules, I keep two stacks of each material/trait/racial. For the Alchemy and Prov, I just keep 100 Stacks. I try to avoid L1 Prov Mats and most Beverage Mats unless they make a purple recipe.

The rest gets sold.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in a couple of friendly guilds in addition to 3 'market' guilds. Anything I can't use or need, I dump into those friendly guilds for anyone to take and use. I strive to leave more than I take from the friendly guild banks.

If the guild banks already have lots of the items I don't want, I'll either vendor it or just delete it. There's no point in trying to sell many of the items in guild stores. It's sort of like playing the penny stockmarket, too much effort for almost no gain.
    Edited by Tarukmockto on October 20, 2014 11:06PM
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted this in another thread but seems appropriate here. This is my somewhat convoluted (but efficient) system for managing materials and items but it does require a bit of gold investment. I have upgraded bank to 180 slots (might go up to 200). I keep no more than 1 stack of anything in the bank for crafting. I use Bank Manager addon which gives you the option to auto-stack items from/to inventory/bank.

I have two characters that I play so I set those two characters to auto stack from bags to bank so that when my bags are full I can enter bank and it sucks all items from bags that have partial stacks in bank.

I have two mules that I set to auto stack from bank to bags so I can log them on and enter the bank and suck all items that I don't want readily available for crafting onto my mule.

You can then control what items go where by setting which characters withdraw or deposit and where you have partial stacks. So the way I have it set up is:

in bank:
    1 stack of every trait
    1 stack of each style material
    1 stack of each green/blue temper in each crafting category
    1 stack of each food ingredient I primarily use
    1 stack of each rune above level 5
    1 stack of each plant
    1 stack of level appropriate solvent
    1 stack of each level appropriate crafting mat (wood, ore etc..) and the rest goes into guild bank

on first mule:
    excess stacks of tempers, ingredients, plants (basically anything useful beyond my 1 stack in the bank)
    all stacks of rare tempers (purple, gold) since I don't use these regularly

on second mule:
    stacks of raw materials

on third mule (rarely accessed):
    fishing related stuff (mostly bait)
    stockpile of crafted food/drink
    trophies and costumes and crap like that
    stacks of rare green fish with no value (will cash in when they fix that!)

So what I can do is play/open hireling bags etc... and as my bags fill up I just open bank and it auto withdraws things to partial stacks (occasionally have to manually deposit when stacks fill). Log on both mules and it auto withdraws appropriate stuff to mule bags while maintaining at least 1 stack of every crafting mat I need in the bank so any character I craft with has access to all required mats (except rare mats). As my raw materials stack up on my second mule I deposit the full stacks of that back to the bank for refining on my crafting character with skillpoints and the mats from that go back into the bank to be distributed appropriately.

It's a somewhat convoluted system but is fairly efficient and works pretty well. If you don't do enchanting you could do with less bank slots or you could further limit to current level of mats only or something. I wanted to have a decent range of mats for crafting and figured the lower level glyphs would rarely be needed (and they are available in guild bank if needed).
  • Tarkit
    Tarkit
    ✭✭
    For drink materials pop them on an alt and use them to level their provisioning. It's always nice to find use for useless things; if I have mats for the VR5 purple stat potions then I make and store them, but with the lower level materials I find it's best to use them to level up alts or if not craft them and vendor them for cash.
    As for the other items, create trait-items and sell them for 250g a pop for a bit of extra cash or research on alts.
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What I'm keeping on alts:

- full stacks of alchemy plants (currently 92)
    - full stacks of provisioning materials, either basic ones for vet1/vet5 recipes or advanced ones required for blue/purple recipes (currently 91)
    - full stacks of tempers, up to 1 of each, except the legendary ones (I keep more: 3 stacks of wax and 2 of alloys)
    - full stacks of crafting materials in blacksmithing/clothing/woodworking between vet1 and vet10
    - full stacks of the trait materials (1 of each)
    - all aspect runes, all essence runes and all potency runes above lvl45
    - all treasure maps I can find (currently 82)
    - all collectibles from the public dungeons
    - all the costumes
    - all the blue fish
    - all the unique set items from vet dungeons and trials
    - item sets in case I level alts, at lvl 10, 20, 30, 40, 46, VR1, VR4, VR7 an VR10 (blue or purple quality on everything)
    - all the items I upgraded to legendary quality in the past (30+)

Bank space: 240 + 110 on all characters + 4 draft horses

I also keep an updated spreadsheet referencing everything in storage because it has become quite complicated to find my stuff.
    Edited by Gyudan on October 22, 2014 1:03PM
    Wololo.
  • zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sell some; put some in the guild bank.
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gyudan wrote: »
    What I'm keeping on alts:

- full stacks of alchemy plants (currently 92)
    - full stacks of provisioning materials, either basic ones for vet1/vet5 recipes or advanced ones required for blue/purple recipes (currently 91)
    - full stacks of tempers, up to 1 of each, except the legendary ones (I keep more: 3 stacks of wax and 2 of alloys)
    - full stacks of crafting materials in blacksmithing/clothing/woodworking between vet1 and vet10
    - full stacks of the trait materials (1 of each)
    - all aspect runes, all essence runes and all potency runes above lvl45
    - all treasure maps I can find (currently 82)
    - all collectibles from the public dungeons
    - all the costumes
    - all the blue fish
    - all the unique set items from vet dungeons and trials
    - item sets in case I level alts, at lvl 10, 20, 30, 40, 46, VR1, VR4, VR7 an VR10 (blue or purple quality on everything)
    - all the items I upgraded to legendary quality in the past (30+)

Bank space: 240 + 110 on all characters + 4 draft horses

I also keep an updated spreadsheet referencing everything in storage because it has become quite complicated to find my stuff.

I'm curious why you keep all the treasure maps? The loot from them isn't very good and really just serves as deconstruction fodder for the most part because they have no traits. Same with the blue fish..they don't serve any purpose do they? Just have a gold value for selling unless you know something I don't.
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm curious why you keep all the treasure maps? The loot from them isn't very good and really just serves as deconstruction fodder for the most part because they have no traits. Same with the blue fish..they don't serve any purpose do they? Just have a gold value for selling unless you know something I don't.

Same as the public dungeon collectibles and the costumes: collection.
    Wololo.
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't you want to use the collectibles for the achievements?
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't you want to use the collectibles for the achievements?
    The ones from public dungeons, not those who drop from mobs once in a blue moon.
    I9jzz20.png
    Screen of my "miscellaneous" inventory, the treasure maps are on another alt.
    Edited by Gyudan on October 23, 2014 10:48AM
    Wololo.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious why you keep all the treasure maps?

Mostly for the Achievements. Also, it gives me something to do when I log on and don't want to quest or farm.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"