The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Blocking spell damage?

bunteti_Xunn
bunteti_Xunn
Soul Shriven
Hi, does holding block with a shield mitigate incoming spell damage or just melee attacks? And if so, is the amount mitigated based on spell resistence or something else? Thank you!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The preferred method is to get out of the way of the spell, most are telegraphed so you have time if you notice it. Not always possible in combat....

Anyway to block the spell, you need the Restoration Staff Passive that gives this ability. If you have that, then you hold block with the staff to mitigate damage.

1H/S also has an active that lets you either reflect the spell or absorb the spell damage as health gained (not sure which of these morphs is tactically better myself).

Some of the other class, weapon or armor lines offers the ability to mitigate magic attacks like this. There are also racial passives that offer Spell Resistance like with Bretons. And, of course you can enchant some Jewelery with a Magic Resist Glyph.
    Edited by Nestor on October 17, 2014 10:03PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• bunteti_Xunn
    bunteti_Xunn
    Soul Shriven
    OK, that all makes sense, thank you!