Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

So, Aksel Rockbiter...

Wyietsayon
Wyietsayon
✭✭✭
She's one of the newer hirelings, the one that often comments about her mother. Who do you think she is? All her messages are sort of vague compared to the other hirelings. I've got two theories.

1. My first thought was that she was an insane listener of the Dark Brotherhood.
2. Maybe she really is just a little kid or a preteen with bad grammar/writing skills.

What are your thoughts?

Someone below might actually know who she is, so be careful of spoilers.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...Aksel is a woman? I thought it was a male name.

Anyway, I wish I could fire her/him. These one line mails are starting to annoy me. "Hello, I talked to mother, here are your ingredients." *** great, if this is all you have to say, why do you bother to write at all?

No offense to people of few words among us. It was just such a jarring change after Valinka, one of my favorite hirelings.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Of my four hirelings, only the ambiguously vampiric enchanter feels like a step up.

Also thought Askel was male, and I'm unable to pinpoint the race.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I, too, thought Aksel was male, not that it makes any difference as the emails are simply horrible. The complaining about Mother never stops and no stories of note have been communicated via the emails. I would have preferred a one line email stating "Here are your components."
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss the original hirelings. These new ones are very dull compared to the original ones, I wish I could get my old ones back. I have no clue what race or gender Aksel Rockbiter is but I read the messages as though its a dull witted male Argonian that speaks very slowly and I imagine he has an IQ around 70.

I miss the interesting stories and even story arcs of the old ones, If you're reading this Zenimax can we please get an option to get the old hirelings back? At first it was just mail with stuff and a story but I grew to like them and in particular I loved Pacrooti, he was awesome. These new ones are pretty bland by comparison and frankly I don't really care about them. I open the mail skim the note and delete it after taking my stuff. With the old ones I would read them carefully and even keep some a while to reread them after I took the stuff.
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • elowan
    elowan
    ✭✭✭
    There was a thread in this forum right after the new hirelings were introduced, where we all complained bitterly about the new ones. Ultimately, the response was:
    Hey, all. Eventually all worthy adventurers need to move on to the next great chapter. When you reach the end of the first set of hireling mails, your hirelings will pass their dutiful work on to their successors. Woodworkers can look forward to getting to know Margog the Hammer, while smiths will learn about the travels of Aksel Rockbiter.

That said, we really do love these characters and you may see them again one day.

Just remember: Pacrooti still loves you.

What I said back then and I still say is: while I'm thrilled that they thought to add more hireling flavor text, I'm completely dismayed at the way they did it. While I hadn't completed the enchanter hireling line, I had completed cloth/wood/blacksmith. While wood was stuck in a loop (just one of Pacrooti's regular emails, repeated), both blacksmith and clothier had interesting little stories that were at critical junctions. The final (repeated) emails implied continuation in the future. Instead, we got (completely out of the blue, as far as I could ever tell) a quick switch to a random new hireling.

It's not that I'm complaining about having new hireling text - I'm glad they added more. I just wish they'd done the logical thing and continued the pre-existing (and interesting) stories. Pacrooti's messages were always little vignettes - there was no reason to not just write more of them. Both Valinka and Firilanya had interesting stories that were "paused." From the dev comments, maybe we'll get back to them, if we're lucky.

That said, I imagined Aksel to be a male Nord with a slightly below-average IQ, who lives with his mother.
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I also read Aksel as a male, more specifically a mommy's boy whose development has been stunted through years of emotional abuse. I asked via feedback if Tamriel has a social services agency that can send someone to intervene.

I miss my old hirelings and hope to see them again someday. Aksel's life makes me sad.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I lean towards male goblin, given the storyline,the high intellect, and the last name, of course.

I'm vaguely concerned that the character's character was modeled after some miscellaneous crazy I had come across earlier in zone chat...
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oddly one of the things I enjoy most about ESO is the hireling stories; even when they are lame (and they are sometimes).
  • Maotti
    Maotti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently he's married now, :p
    PC EU
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maotti_Nor wrote: »

OMG spoiler!
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Please don't be to his mother, please don't be to his mother...
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    Please don't be to his mother, please don't be to his mother...

He does not marry his mother. Unfortunately, the content of his emails doesn't change much afterwards.
  • elowan
    elowan
    ✭✭✭
    I lean towards male goblin, given the storyline,the high intellect, and the last name, of course.

I'm going to rescind my "maybe a nord comment" and agree that I think he's a Goblin. He even makes a reference at one point to "building a new hut."
  • Raighan
    Raighan
    ✭✭
    I remember the original Aksel Rockbiter from back on PTS around February time. He was an Argonian (I think) and his stories were wonderful and often funny. One time his mother had gone away for the weekend and he had friends over for a party. His mother was really angry when she came home and they had all been trying her clothes on hahah. There was a sad one where he wanted to come and live with me because his mother kept beating him and taking his money to buy clothes. One day he just disappeared around the end of Feb start of March.

I was sad when Aksel got replaced, and I am glad to hear he is back, although I have been away from the game for several months so I haven't seen what is going into the letters now and it doesn't sound like he is writing as much from what I have seen in this thread.
    Edited by Raighan on November 27, 2014 5:42PM
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Raighan wrote: »
    I remember the original Aksel Rockbiter from back on PTS around February time. He was an Argonian (I think) and his stories were wonderful and often funny. One time his mother had gone away for the weekend and he had friends over for a party. His mother was really angry when she came home and they had all been trying her clothes on hahah. There was a sad one where he wanted to come and live with me because his mother kept beating him and taking his money to buy clothes. One day he just disappeared around the end of Feb start of March.

I was sad when Aksel got replaced, and I am glad to hear he is back, although I have been away from the game for several months so I haven't seen what is going into the letters now and it doesn't sound like he is writing as much from what I have seen in this thread.

I thought he was a goblin, Rockbiter is the name of a goblin tribe from oblivion.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Pyatra
    Pyatra
    ✭✭✭
    Too early. I say give them time I'm sure several of the hirelings have some interesting things coming up. I say give it another week or two and we should start seeing several of them begin to shine.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pyatra wrote: »
    Too early. I say give them time I'm sure several of the hirelings have some interesting things coming up. I say give it another week or two and we should start seeing several of them begin to shine.
    Already liked the new vampire enchanter hireling for a while now. Veesk (clothing) is at least as good as her predecessor, and "The Hammer", while no Pacrooti, has been an interesting read. Aksel is still pretty light on substance, but the new girlfriend is at least a topic.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still want to fire Aksel, he's just so dreadfully boring, but I couldn't bring myself to do it because where else is the poor kid going to find a job?

I like Veesk and Margog is okay. I don't know the vampire, I don't really do enchanting.
  • mistermacintosh
    mistermacintosh
    ✭✭✭
    You still get the old ones if you start crafting on a new/different character. I have my main character running the original set of hirelings and my crafters running the new set. Something to keep in mind if you miss the old ones...

I also think Aksel is a goblin.
    Edited by mistermacintosh on December 20, 2014 10:17AM
    Legalize Nirnroot!

Mac User, NA Server (CP810+, PVE focused):
    Magicka Templar Ra the Everlasting (Level 50 - Main Character)
    Stamina Sorcerer Khazaka-ri (Level 50 - Crafter)
    Dragonknight Tank Skalda Flamewreath (Level 50)
    Pet Sorcerer Hellias Ocume (Level 50)
    Magicka Necromancer Socelon (Level 4)

Templar Healer Mends-Through-Panic (Level 50)
    Stamina Nightblade Adanna-daro (Level 50)
    Stamina Warden Marely Sprigs (Level 50)
    Stamina Dragonknight Ursula Trollcalmer (Level 50)
    Stamina Necromancer Daengeval (Level 4)

Stamina Templar Cornellus Graves (Level 50)
    Warden Healer Pays-For-Luxury (Level 50)
    Magicka Sorcerer Sophia Flash (Level 50)
    Magicka Dragonknight Cinvalo Aloavel (Level 50)
    Magicka Nightblade Esmerelda the Cruel (Level 50)
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aksel throws up a lot.
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you all. The new hirelings are just lame period. I don't even waste time reading the mail anymore, just grab the materials and delete it.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aksel is the worst, and he's not even smart enough to realize there there's domestic violence in his own household--his wife is plainly beating the crap out of his mother.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fairly oblivious Aksel, with an extreme need to avoid conflict, no father in the picture, completely dominated by his mother, marries a completely dominating partner who makes him work 4x as hard and go hut shopping, and hides or sleeps in the woods with bears/wolves to avoid both.

Don't know someone in irl that Aksel is role modeled after? Not funny to you? You must be very young.

As to abusing mom, maybe mom started the first fight and lost... Someone said Goblin - Goblin pecking order. Although his partner is clearly not the same race as he is .
  • kadochka
    kadochka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fairly oblivious Aksel, with an extreme need to avoid conflict, no father in the picture, completely dominated by his mother, marries a completely dominating partner who makes him work 4x as hard and go hut shopping, and hides or sleeps in the woods with bears/wolves to avoid both.

Don't know someone in irl that Aksel is role modeled after? Not funny to you? You must be very young.

As to abusing mom, maybe mom started the first fight and lost... Someone said Goblin - Goblin pecking order. Although his partner is clearly not the same race as he is .

If only we could save him.. (or her..)
    Edited by kadochka on November 7, 2018 1:28AM
    if I could make another character, their name would be Cries-For-Character-Slots. AKA, I need more.

• Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ha! Well, I want save Pacrooti from the crown crate syndicate first...
  • kadochka
    kadochka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ha! Well, I want save Pacrooti from the crown crate syndicate first...

Hahaaa... yes.
    if I could make another character, their name would be Cries-For-Character-Slots. AKA, I need more.

• MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost four years. That's one hell of a necro.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • kadochka
    kadochka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost four years. That's one hell of a necro.

Ah, sheep, sorry...
    god, I'm oblivious to these things.. :'(

• whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, apart from Pacrooti providing the crates, the only other supplier I've seen reference to is the orc who communicated in all caps. I enjoyed all their stories but especially the Khajiit and the vampire girl. Wish these could start up again.