The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What's your take on alts in ESO?

Rodario
Rodario
✭✭✭✭✭
Do you play multiple characters actively, have you rerolled and made your old main a mule, or have you ever only played one character past the first few levels?

What's your stand on alts in ESO?
Edited by Rodario on September 30, 2014 6:06PM
Victoria Lux - Templar Tank
{EU/DC}

What's your take on alts in ESO? 143 votes

I only ever played the same character (Apart from trying out a few at first)
13%
PolskiBunny_ESOjnjdun_ESOAortickLonePirateDominoidsupernicoJrocCazicMaximiliandemonlkojipub19_ESOKingRebzBashevMinscNylanSykoticalPhiChiKappaRhonorasajWorkerdroid7Kethevin 19 votes
I played two or more characters actively, but only for rerolling purposes
3%
GreyRangerKorprokmar1ano1987nrb18_ESOGuppetZosia 5 votes
I play multiple characters actively and do cadwell's gold on all of them
25%
NestorVivilarophez_ESOAdelwulfDiviniusDragonLane555KalmanLionxoftOrangeTheCatsoyhodonMorduilTaffyIXNebthet78LestierseHeishiheledironSighlynceStroggnonimusMalthorneNukeAllTheThings 36 votes
I would like to play multiple characters, but I don't want to repeat the faction stories/zones
19%
Moonclawjambam817_ESOeventide03b14a_ESOcurlyqloub14_ESOMercutioMoomraPhantaxBarsMuizerDoskiasjeevinbellanca6561nKyphoNox_AeternaTandorradiostarreftenRazzakLazraelRodario 28 votes
I play multiple characters, but I skip cadwell's silver/gold on alts and just grind or PvP
12%
SirAndyfirstdecandriosketchNivzruo_ESOEvandusAzarulTankqullInversusAnath_QShareeSoulScreamYandrosonlinegamer1JoanOfOrcHomerSamsonTommy83MontanabumThrymbauld 18 votes
Other
13%
ArtisPsychobunniVoid_RangerResuehtxaraanSantieClawsShadowscaleSithisWyndStrykeLonestryderneueregelExarchAoife32001Kalann_PanderSoloeusVendersleighTallarraEricaceaeemeraldbayLeeric 19 votes
Cheese
12%
UdyrfrykteSlurgers101284b14_ESONazon_KattsGythralAlienSlofPSLAnimalElsonsoEvergnarDuelWieldingCheesyPoofsGanacampoPmarsico9MornaBaineAkulazhevonMiyaTheUnbrokenShadoPanauinpirate3 18 votes
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Alts: A fantastic band-aid for the lack of available bag and bank space.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to play multiple characters, but I don't want to repeat the faction stories/zones
    I created all 8 chars as soon as the game started to keep names.

Now i have 1 char i play and 7 mules that are pretty much bank space to me.

Im not redoing all i did on my main again lols , all the skyshard hunting, lorebook hunting , achiv hunting , quests , pvp ...

Anyway you got the idea , that is a ridiculous amount of things and i dont intend to spend all that time just doing everything again.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Aoife32001
    Aoife32001
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I'm currently leveling up 2 characters, but the thought of having to do all the factions on all the characters is a huge disincentive to play more than one. I had originally planed on playing one in each faction, and as it currently stands I might just level up to 49 in each faction and skip Veteran altogether.
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying playing them all right now, my two lowest alts both just hit VR5
    Edited by BBSooner on September 30, 2014 6:13PM
  • Ganacampo
    Ganacampo
    ✭✭✭
    Cheese
    I play with 3 characters actively, but I can't comment on Cadwell's gold/silver since none of them is above lvl 30 yet, so none of the options fits me.
    Edited by Ganacampo on September 30, 2014 6:16PM
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cheese
    I've made a few just to try different builds but I play mostly on my main.
  • reften
    reften
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will never do VR1 through VR14 again. I MAY try to level 50 again, but probably not...
    Reften
    Bosmer (Wood Elf)
    Moonlight Crew (RIP), Misfitz (RIP), Victorem Guild

VR16 NB, Stam build, Max all crafts.

Azuras & Trueflame. Mostly PvP, No alts.

Semi-retired till the lag is fixed.

Love the Packers, Bourbon, and ESO...one of those will eventually kill me.
  • MiyaTheUnbroken
    MiyaTheUnbroken
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cheese
    The answer is always cheese.
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My VR2 char is taking so long to level, I started a new char on my gold zone b/c I don't think I'll make it to VR14, least not anytime soon. I might also do a new char in my silver zone instead of continuing my VR2 just to get the story and quests.
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 5 characters and only one became a mule. Only my main is in Vet rank (currently doing Caldwell's Silver), but I intend to go through the story with all of them eventually.

Though I am open to doing random activities and things out of order with the alts.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheese
    My Bosmer, "The Mouse" approves.
    I do a bit of everything but really only my first main is a completionist (and not a very good one at that). My other alts do a variety depending simply on what I feel like seeing or doing with them.

I ran an alt right behind my main in the same faction and that was pretty brutal doing some of the same quests I had already done that month. That was back in April though and I just started a new alt in that faction this month and it's quite fun when you haven't done it in awhile. There are definitely certain quests I go looking for, ones I liked, and others I avoid like the plague.
  • Tamanous
    Tamanous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Polls should be a privilege not a right.

Yeesh.
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have two VR characters and I plan to eventually have one maxed out character for each class.. One is VR14 and one is ranking up fast. The original post is kind of focused on Cadwell's which is not the most important part of leveling. Cadwell's makes up maybe only 30% of the quests in a zone and can be done fairly quickly.I can do one zone in less than 2 hours.Ten hours to unlock all zones is not that big a deal in an MMO. The bulk of VP is done in delves ,world bosses and dolmens which can be fun . Add some pvp dungeons ,Craglorn and grinding and ranking up is pretty painless. Of course if you do not enjoy any of those activities than you probably shouldn't play the damn game.
    Edited by PBpsy on September 30, 2014 6:39PM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caldwells Quests, which are the 2000 pound Ogrim in the room can be done with minimal questing, basically the quests that give skill points are the ones you need to do. This will get you through the content without completing each zone. I have no desire to complete achievements on all characters, but one will get most of them.

That being said, I am currently taking three characters through this. It is amazing how many things were missed the first time through. I am discovering new things when I take my characters back to the leveling zones or I am doing the Caldwell grind. So, it is not a complete pain in my book.

I have 4 mules to give me some storage and hireling emails.

I have one alt standing in a pile of snow freezing his rear end off. Not sure if he will survive or not...
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Phantax
    Phantax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you played through all the story (including the Cadwell missions) then running an alt is both boring and a waste of time.
    If like me your a bit of an alt-aholic then this diminishes a great part of the game !

:(
    High Elf Sorcerer VR12 - Destro / Resto Staff
    I'm a werewolf. If you vamps don't like it.... Bite me !
    We're not retreating... we're advancing in a different direction !
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Phantax wrote: »
    If you played through all the story (including the Cadwell missions) then running an alt is both boring and a waste of time.
    If like me your a bit of an alt-aholic then this diminishes a great part of the game !

:(

I am kind of confused of this statement. If you are an altacholic you should be very used to the process by now. You want alts you redo the content in most MMORPGs and even many single player rpgs.The only MMO that I can think of having a completely different story for each class was SWTOR but even that forced you to redo a large chunk of content each time.
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • PSLAnimal
    PSLAnimal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cheese
    I never have enough slots for alts. As I've said repeatedly, give me 50 slots and I'll use 'em all. I make concept characters, gag characters, and anything else I can think of. Many of them may never level above five, but that's my lookout.
    Animal (Ask me what the PSL stands for. Go on. Ask.)
    @PSLAnimal on the NA Megaserver
    Making people wonder just what the hell is wrong with me since 1961.
  • Pseudolo
    Pseudolo
    ✭✭✭
    I'm an altaholic, one of many...
  • Exarch
    Exarch
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    I've been playing multiple characters actively since launch, which is one of the reasons I have no idea what Caldwell's gold might be.
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only ever played the same character (Apart from trying out a few at first)
    If I ever make an alt, I would do all cadwells quests and it will be the same alliance. I dont do so now because I forsee getting all the public dungeon group challenges will probably take a long time to do. I pick one alliance in an mmo and maintain loyalty to it, so no dc or ad chars for me ever.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheese
    Altoholic here... comes with the territory when you are an RP'er. Sadly, most of my alts are banks mules though.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Soloeus
    Soloeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I have a V13, a V1, a level 35, a level 19, and a level 18.

They all have Hireling 3 for every craft.

Within; Without.
  • Rodario
    Rodario
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a completionist with my main. I would really like to level a different class for a different playstyle, but having done everything in every zone I've been to makes it really hard to find the motivation to do even just the skill point awarding stuff again.

When leveling is this story-centric it's only fun the first time for me.

In other MMOs I've been kind of an altoholic, but in those, at least the first portion of leveling areas were separated by race, or the whole world by alliance, so it didn't feel this repetitive.

Also, as skill points are tied to quests and exploration, you can't really level by PvP and/or grinding, at least not before you have enough points for a decent build.

My mentioned alt is sitting at lvl 20 and I may have to wait a year (or however long it takes for me to forget most of the storylines) to continue leveling.
    Victoria Lux - Templar Tank
    {EU/DC}
  • firstdecan
    firstdecan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play multiple characters, but I skip cadwell's silver/gold on alts and just grind or PvP
    I have four toons that I have played up to VR rank, one of each class. My main is VR14, the rest are VR1-2. I have done Caldwell's gold on the VR14, and completed all quests / dungeons in the first two alliances on that toon (third alliance is in process). Each of the alts has done all quests / dungeons in the first alliance, but I'm not going to repeat that all throughout VR.

On my VR alts, I will simply grind them up to 14 just to get them there. I expect to do 'everything' on my main, but I don't see the need to do that for the alts. On the alts, I will do Caldwell's quests as needed for skillpoints, but I'm more interested in having a toon of each class to take into PvP / Raid content. I'll still probably take them questing from time to time if I want to enjoy leisurely content, but I've got one toon through it all (almost) and just want the variety.
  • Leeric
    Leeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Samadhi wrote: »

While I do enjoy my templar ALT the only reason I leveled him was to be able to play with a friend at around the same level. Otherwise, bag space. Bag Space definitely needs to be an option. Ridiculous that we have to pay 700k for max bank space....
  • ShadowscaleSithis
    ShadowscaleSithis
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    Mainly only have them for mules. Have played a few of them but nothing past 20 because I like my main Argonian Vamp NB (even though skills don't work).
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cheese
    1 Played
    7 Mules
    or something like that...
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • GoatKnuckle
    GoatKnuckle
    ✭✭✭
    Be hardcore. Can't wait for Cadwell's Platinum.
  • Vendersleigh
    Vendersleigh
    ✭✭✭
    Other
    I play all 8 of my characters as mains. They range from level 23 to 48.
    I am not sure how I will approach Cadwell's as yet. Likely not many will advance beyond VR1.
  • Thrymbauld
    Thrymbauld
    ✭✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »

This, unfortunately. The fact that the guy deciding how many items a person might want to have and the guy figuring out how much inventory space a character needs apparently aren't on speaking terms.

It's so bad, in fact, that it's actually made me play alts LESS! It's tough to play a character when you need him to sit around holding all kinds of goods. As if this isn't a cruel twist of fate in itself, the very reason they are loaded down with extra garbage is because of the desire to play alts in the first place(inventory is alot more manageable if you only want to retain one level range worth of items).