The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

glyphs- u don't get what you crafted?

Elsterchen
Elsterchen
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi there,
crafting glyphs has been disscussed quite often in the forum, but I didn't find a topic related to the effect of enchantments once its put on an item. I do try my crafted glyphs from time to time and since the beta I noticed that you do not get what you expect f.eg a major glyph of stamina -> tooltip says it adds 66 stamina actually adds 29 stamina when applied. Weapon enchantments (well, crushing enchantments that is, as i am really fond of this one) seem to work since a few weeks, but "add max" magica/stamina/health always fail. Anyone else expierincing this, too? (And cares about it?) Are only self-crafted glyphs affected ?

When will it be repaired? I myself have send in a few tickets regarding this - however my enchanted items NEVER got repaired (which I find quite unfriendly - its not so much to ask for), nor do I see ANY progress in making this feature work.

What du you think?
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The glyphs give full value on the "major" armor pieces: chest, legs, and I think helmet. All of the other pieces they'll give less than full value. That is likely what you are seeing.

I agree that this needs to be better explained in game, but it is not a bug.
  • hammer_fella
    hammer_fella
    ✭✭✭
    You've been here since beta and not learned that enchantments have different effects on different armor pieces - a testament to ESO's complete lack of in-game information (although there are numerous threads on the subject).

Your main three armor pieces (Head, Chest, Legs) receive the full value of the enchantment while the other pieces receive 40% of the total value.
    Aldmeri Dominion (NA)
    Ferawen - VR14 Bosmer Nightblade
    Quvalwe - VR2 Altmer Sorcerer
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Belwurz gro-Yungash - Lvl 35 Orc Dragonknight
    Ebonheart Pact
    Dutseiwitsei - Lvl 27 Argonian Templar
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aett_Thorn wrote: »
    The glyphs give full value on the "major" armor pieces: chest, legs, and I think helmet. All of the other pieces they'll give less than full value. That is likely what you are seeing.

This^^

Plus there are numerous old threads about this, all saying it's because they are minor pieces of Armour (gloves, Pauldrons etc). And I do mean numerous, as in loads.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe you should first ask how enchanting works, before accusing the devs of not fixing your "problem". Sheesh...
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for enlightning me! Is there a reference somewhere within the forums?

I really did not know this ... and its a bit hard for me to understand why the same glyph should have different properties when applied to different items. Well, if that is the case - the tooltips should really be changed.
  • seanolan
    seanolan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elsterchen wrote: »

Thank you for enlightning me! Is there a reference somewhere within the forums?

I really did not know this ... and its a bit hard for me to understand why the same glyph should have different properties when applied to different items. Well, if that is the case - the tooltips should really be changed.

As numerous folks already said on here, there are HUNDREDS of references within the forums...a simple search would have brought them up and saved you some embarassment.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Shield gets full enchant too, everything else about 40%
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    seanolan wrote: »

As numerous folks already said on here, there are HUNDREDS of references within the forums...a simple search would have brought them up and saved you some embarassment.

... and no-one actually notices that 29 is NOT 40% of 66 ...

just as there are NOT hundreds of topics about how glyphs work. :-)

No hard feelings, but still this feature is not working as intended (and I still fail to get the intention of its working ... but that might be another story), its not explained and is pooly documented.

• Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good grief people! Not everyone is a forum fan or familiar with searching for info on the threads. It is easy to see the OP has not posted much and not read the threads on this topic. Shaming him/her for posting is hardly what I would call constructive - then u wonder why people don't like to use forums....
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The amount also is dependent on whether you have applied the infused trait
    and quality of the armor, so I am not sure if the percentage given was for base white armor without trait.
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I noted in this post, the tooltips in the enchant window show the actual enchantment type and values that will result on the item being enchanted:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/1280496/#Comment_1280496

You can then choose to either apply the enchantment, or cancel. I'll admit that I enchanted quite a few items before I noticed that feature!
  • bertenburnyb16_ESO
    bertenburnyb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7S94ohyErSw

no I jokeIjoke
    it has always been like said before, gloves/belt/shoulders/boots give less stats
    welcome to the mystery of eso
    Haze Ramoran Dunmer Dragonknight Tank/Dps – Smoked-Da-Herb Saxheel Templar Tank/Healer

Red Diamond, Protect us 'til the end (EU EP Thorn)
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    seanolan wrote: »

... and no-one actually notices that 29 is NOT 40% of 66 ...

just as there are NOT hundreds of topics about how glyphs work. :-)

No hard feelings, but still this feature is not working as intended (and I still fail to get the intention of its working ... but that might be another story), its not explained and is pooly documented.

Hmmm...maybe that's why the phrase "about 40%" was used?

As it stands, you're complaining because it's giving you more than 40%?? Likely because of the infused trait?

Historically, lesser (smaller) items always had lesser enchants - this is not new. The only key difference is that better items (higher quality) were able to accept higher enchants, to a certain degree.

It's working just fine, and it's reasonable the way it's designed. Knowing the weighted system, it's not that hard to determine where you want your largest effects to go.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • elowan
    elowan
    ✭✭✭
    OP-shaming aside, the real issue is how poorly this is explained in-game. Other than the "item previous" you can mouse over when actually enchanting an item, there's zero in-game indication that you should get anything other than the stated value of the glyph.

A proper set of tooltips / glyph descriptions would go a long way towards clarity here.
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't feel bad, I already had posted on this same topic. There are a lot of little gotchas in this game that is not in the documentation. This may be due to the game being updated constantly.

One thing another poster told me which is very valuable, is that when the enchantment screen is displayed (after right clicking on the item and selection enchant), and you select the Gyph at the top of the enchantment window, you will see two versions of the armor you selected in the bottom window; the left armor is the original and the right is the armor with the new enchantment. So you can compare the changes before committing to the enchantment.

Here's a screen shot that may explain it better;

Screen shot of enchanting an item

Hope this helps.

• Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The glyphs give full value on the "major" armor pieces: chest, legs, and I think helmet. ...

Also, Shield receives the full bonus as well.

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Soulshine wrote: »
    Good grief people! Not everyone is a forum fan or familiar with searching for info on the threads. It is easy to see the OP has not posted much and not read the threads on this topic. Shaming him/her for posting is hardly what I would call constructive - then u wonder why people don't like to use forums....
    The problem is that OP immediately accuses the devs of not fixing his problem and being unpolite. There's too many people like that who just come screaming on the forum and call BS on ZOS.

• Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »
    The problem is that OP immediately accuses the devs of not fixing his problem and being unpolite. There's too many people like that who just come screaming on the forum and call BS on ZOS.

The problem is that there is no OFFICIAL note on how this is supposed to work. I really appriciate all those people putting effort into testing how its working in-game. But since there is no comment from ZOS how its supposed to work and what we get is not what is stated in the tooltip, I have all right to assume that the outcome is due to a bug. And if its not a bug, then I still think its highly unfriendly from ZOS to let me spend my time with writing bug reports. A note on how this feature is supposed to work, a note that everything is working as intended and only the tooltip is wrong is not too much to ask for. And yes, I accuse ZOS of beeing unprofessional here, this is not the way their dearly customers should be treated.
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, if you sent ingame /bug reports then Z wouldn't follow up with you. But if you use /help ingame you should get a GM reply, which would have told you about the application of glyphs and their values. A search or browse of the Crafting section here on the forums too has extensive coverage of Enchanting, we've all been where you are :)
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The problem is that there is no OFFICIAL note on how this is supposed to work. I really appriciate all those people putting effort into testing how its working in-game. But since there is no comment from ZOS how its supposed to work and what we get is not what is stated in the tooltip, I have all right to assume that the outcome is due to a bug. And if its not a bug, then I still think its highly unfriendly from ZOS to let me spend my time with writing bug reports. A note on how this feature is supposed to work, a note that everything is working as intended and only the tooltip is wrong is not too much to ask for. And yes, I accuse ZOS of beeing unprofessional here, this is not the way their dearly customers should be treated.
    You could have started by asking what was the cause of why you get less benefit on some armor pieces. Then people would love to explain it. I just dislike it when people come here with their assumptions ready while they have no idea what they are on about. But enough of the morals here...

Also, like radiostar said above, don't expect a reply from an ingame /bug report. Those just end up in one big pile. There have been bugs reported in beta that haven't still been fixed or were fixed very late.

What I do agree on though is that eso's ingame info and tooltips are incomplete, often vague and lackluster.

• Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem is that there is no OFFICIAL note on how this is supposed to work. I really appriciate all those people putting effort into testing how its working in-game. But since there is no comment from ZOS how its supposed to work and what we get is not what is stated in the tooltip, I have all right to assume that the outcome is due to a bug.
    You could have started by asking what was the cause of why you get less benefit on some armor pieces. Then people would love to explain it. I just dislike it when people come here with their assumptions ready while they have no idea what they are on about. But enough of the morals here...

Also, like radiostar said above, don't expect a reply from an ingame /bug report. Those just end up in one big pile. There have been bugs reported in beta that haven't still been fixed or were fixed very late.

What I do agree on though is that eso's ingame info and tooltips are incomplete, often vague and lackluster.

@Elsterchen‌ , you are correct. There is no 'official' manual that comes with the purchase and the online help does not cover every single aspect.

I won't make an argument to the intuitive nature of a smaller item receiving a lesser enchant, but you might bear in mind, Elder Scrolls usually wanted you to determine some things through exploration/experience.

Any NPC enchanter will end with "Best learned by doing."

Beyond that, as @Koensol‌ mentions, a quick CS ticket would clear your confusion (they reply). /bug reports are for Dev's only

Earn it.

• DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Searching the Knowledge Base should always be the first step... it's as close as ESO has to a game manual.

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9384
    Edited by DenverRalphy on October 1, 2014 3:25PM
  • RSram
    RSram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that enchanting should have been applied equally on all items. Would have made enchanting a lot more simpler and easier to manage. It's bad enough that I have to ensure that what I enchant will work on the level of the item, I plan on enchanting.

I think that if you reach a crafting level where you can craft a glyph that gives an item 74 magikia, then you should be able to apply it to any item of any level. So you could apply the Glyph to a weapon remove 74 Magkia, or apply it to armor and jewelry to gain 74 Magkia boost.

To me the point of learning the crafting trades is to gain an advantage over the other players who haven't taken the time to learn it, or to sell the items to players that want to pay for it.

Players who don't want to craft would be constraint by the current game limitations

For the amount of time it takes to max out the enchanting ability, you down really get much in return for the effort.