Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New Player, VERY lucky drop. Need Advice.

Plantagenet
Plantagenet
✭✭✭
Hello, I recently started playing (Finally!) and really enjoy the game so far, Im going to stick with it.

I got a lucky drop, the "Racial Motifs 10: The Imperials" drop... Im told by my guild it sells for between 70k and 95k pretty evenly. For me that is an amazing amount of gold.

I AM a crafter/merchant type (Argonian), but that much gold would buy a lot of backpack and bank space as well as crafting materials to get me started.

I could use some advice on what I should do? Ive already been offered 60k and 65k for it, but my guild said not to take less than 70k?

The Crafter in me says eat it and forget about it, Ill want it later. The Merchant in me says, try and sell it for 75k and turn around and try and buy it again for 55k or 60k. The Newb in me says to sell it and buy skills and inventory space.

Im kinda lost, and could use some guidance.

Thanks,
  • GFBStarWars
    GFBStarWars
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, that is a rare drop and that reflect the price.
    If you have the imperial edition you can convert some item to that stile anyway so you could sell it with no real consequences.( more that 80k at least)
    If you want to take a look at the ingame armor stile, this is a great website.

Have fun in your adventures ;)
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are relatively low level, I think any way you slice it it makes more sense to sell it now (from a game advancement perspective). Now if you absolute MUST be able to craft that style (it has no functional purpose) - that is only something you can decide.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only real benefit to not selling it is the ability to use Imperial racial stone if you read it. Unless you know you have a solid market to sell Imperial gear, the only smart play is sell it, and hold out for 75k or higher. I found one in first month of game, and used it. It has done nothing for me.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Icy
    Icy
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have the imperial edition you can convert some item to that stile anyway.

Just to clarify, when you use the Imperial edition "skill" to convert an item to Imperial Style, that item is now bound to your account and can't be transferred or sold.

Also, the style is only learned by ONE character. So if you're planning to have an alternate character that is going to be your crafter, make sure that one is going to use the book.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________Greetings, Outlanders from -Icy (@IcyIC)twitch.tv/IcyICyoutube.com/HulloItsIcy(not ZOS_Icy)_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • GFBStarWars
    GFBStarWars
    ✭✭✭
    @Icy‌ thanks for clarifying, didn't even thing about that while writing ;)
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd sell it. Unless you've already learned several traits and have a market for Imperial gear, learning the motif won't do anything for you right now. On the other hand, more bag space means more time-efficient questing so more income from loot - or if you buy a horse, you can start feeding it right away and have a well-groomed mount much earlier than usual.

Making back this gold to buy back the motif will be much easier when you're higher level.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Icy wrote: »
    If you have the imperial edition you can convert some item to that stile anyway.

Just to clarify, when you use the Imperial edition "skill" to convert an item to Imperial Style, that item is now bound to your account and can't be transferred or sold.

Also, the style is only learned by ONE character. So if you're planning to have an alternate character that is going to be your crafter, make sure that one is going to use the book.

the statement i quoted is correct.
    if i was you and i found that book i would read the book and not sell it, by making the imperial armor for others and selling it to them because u read that book could bring you millions upon millions over a long period of time.
    Edited by Gilvoth on September 30, 2014 9:15AM
  • AreoHotah
    AreoHotah
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now thats what I call luck. I played 600+ hours so far and never found a rare motif.
    Edited by AreoHotah on September 30, 2014 10:48AM
    Hota'h, Dual-wield/bow full medium armor NB Khajiit from day 1.

https://imageshack.com/i/p2rF313Qj/b]
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a lucky drop, the "Racial Motifs 10: The Imperials" drop...

Same thing happened to me, I got this like the first week of play. Had no bag space and had not figured out who my crafter was going to be yet. I thought I had let my Clothing Crafter read this, but alas she had not. I figured, I have an Imperial Character, I don't need to make things specifically for them. Since I had found it in the first week, I thought I would find another, so I sold it to a game vendor or maybe even destroyed it to make room in my bag. I did not know it was so valuable, or so dang rare.

I have found a farm route that gives me a Motif each and every time I make the run. I have found 9 motifs since Friday. So, I am hoping that it will turn up in that path for me again.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you want the achievement for learning all the styles, then keep it, there is no guarantee you will ever see it again, you probably will, but there are players who have never had it drop.

I have it, and taught it to my Templar, because I like Imperial style on him, and I use other styles on my other characters (just for my preferences).
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • reften
    reften
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell it and buy
    Reften
    Bosmer (Wood Elf)
    Moonlight Crew (RIP), Misfitz (RIP), Victorem Guild

VR16 NB, Stam build, Max all crafts.

Azuras & Trueflame. Mostly PvP, No alts.

Semi-retired till the lag is fixed.

Love the Packers, Bourbon, and ESO...one of those will eventually kill me.
  • abigfishy
    abigfishy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a new player the 70k is worth a lot more. In a few months when you hit V level you can make that in a couple of days and buy one back.
    Level 50 Characters
    USA
    Odette Skullcrusher Nord DK EP Tank
    Hannah Smithee Breton Templar DC Healer
    Charlotte of the Wild Bosmer NB EP DPS
    Rabbath Amman Dark Elf Sorc EP DPS
    Lovely Twinkle High Elf Sorc AD Tank
    Nepith Dark Elf Warden EP Healer
    Tupac Shakoor Redguard Sorc DC Tank
    Faire the Last Snow Elf Altmer Warden EP Ice Staff Tank
    EU
    Soul-Shriven Breton Sorc DC DPS
    Makush gro-Shurgal Orc DK DC Tank
    Cleopatra Tharn Imperial Sorc EP Healer
    Daenerys Targaryin Nord Templar DC Healer
    Zar Saarshar Khajiit NB DC Thief
    Celrith High Elf Sorc EP Assassin
    Falcar Dark Elf NB DC Necromancer
    Myriam Blaylock Breton NB EP Vampire
    Nivrillin Wood Elf NB DC Werewolf
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lucky you, i have been playing since early access and have only found 2 blue motifs so far and i loot every cupboard and chest/bag/closet i see.

If i was you i would sell it for at least 90k. I see them mostly around 100-120k. So if you put it on for 90k you are a rich newbie :)
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Rodario
    Rodario
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would learn the skill only if you REALLY want to craft the style for yourself. Otherwise I'd sell it and buy it later on when prices have dropped (yes that's a gamble, but 75k is worth more in the beginning as you can upgrade your inventory and bank and then spend more of your time actually playing, not sorting your inventory.)
    Victoria Lux - Templar Tank
    {EU/DC}
  • Winnower
    Winnower
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing for a bit now. I have one Imperial Character who is my primary crafter for woodworking, clothing, and blacksmithing.

Bing. I no longer need the imperial motif.

Even if your main crafter isn't an imperial for some weird reason, you are going to want to have multiple crafting alts, even if just for the hirelings. Make an imperial toon and finish running the crafting on that one up far enough to make anything you need to for those 3 crafts. Hand it over to your main for improvements or other manipulation - you only need 1 toon with all points in a skill line.

Bing. you no longer need the imperial motif.

Why do you want multiple crafting alts?

I have 8 toons with at least enchanting hirelings 2/3 (some with 3/3).
    I have 8 toons with provisioning 50 and hirelings 3/3.
    I have 5 toons with at least blacksmithing, clothing, and woodworking 32 and hirelings 3/3, working toward all 8.
    I have one toon with Alchemy 50 - because alchemy doesn't have a hireling. However, I have 4 toons so far with alchemy keen sight 3/3 - cause it pays off.

Every day I open my mail and refine the materials and sort them and give to the proper character. Wheeee.

Unless you *must* have the achievement and you *can't* afford imperial edition, I can't think of a single reason to read the Imperial Motif.
    VR14 Templar, VR14 DK, VR8 DK, VR7 NB, VR1 Sorcerer;
    All 3 Alliances;
    2 Pre-order Imperial Accounts, yes that means 16 characters on NA alone
  • Plantagenet
    Plantagenet
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting discussion.

In case someone is wondering what I ended up doing...

I purchased the Imperial edition mostly for the horse... but...

I was lucky enough to also have two Bristlegut Pig codes, I ended up selling one of them for 85k, used the other for myself. It gave me quite the starting funds, I also managed to pick up Primal and Barbaric Racial books for a really good price and spent the bulk of the rest on bank and inventory space.

Ill ended up eating the Imperial, Primal and Barbaric books. For the simple reason that I am a completest and I really dig the whole crafting profession and don't NEED the gold right now.

The words on the crafting alts were great, Ill get on that right away, especially on my two bank alts just to have those extra mails getting sent my way. Thank you for that.
    Edited by Plantagenet on October 5, 2014 7:53PM