The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Two handed single target suggestion - greater minds, please have a look!

Morticide828
Morticide828
✭✭✭
G'day All,

Wall of text here, I tend to ramble. Apologies.

In that greatest place of creativity, the shower, I thought of an idea which could make greatsword more vialbe for single target DPS, in a PVE situation. Currently, the AoE / burst is fantastic, especially with multiple adds + carve generating huge amounts of ultimate, allowing for constant, well, ultimates..

However, as I'm sure anyone using two-handed can attest, for single target, it's somewhat inferior.

For background, I'm a Dunmer DK, 0-49-0, 6 piece medium, 1 piece light (because fashion!), using a mix of class / stamina skills. Two handed for my AoE (bats), Dual wield for single target (Standard of might), because of reasons I'll expand on shortly. Flames of Oblivion is on as long as my (tiny) mana pool can keep it going.

What I'm suggesting, would be for a similar skill to be introduced to the Two-handed line, similar to what exists in Dual wield. A 'Flurry' like ability. One of the main reasons I use dual wield for single target (Trial boss) fights, is that, as melee, we're often standing right under the boss, and therefore are more likely to be standing in a cleave / shield throw / whatever the wisp boss in AA drops under us that hurts lots / whirlwinds - ad nauseum. With flurry (and applicable morphs), it gives us 1-2 seconds to have a quick glance around using the mouse, whilst our character keeps on DPSing.

Focus back on boss, refresh bleed & unrelenting flames, hit flurry - and keep looking around like a good DPS not standing in fire :smile:

Here is where two handed lacks.

Great weapons lack single target sustainability, because of the added concentration needed to pull anything better than 500 dps. A simple rotation (Using DK skills) such as Wrecking Blow as an opener (Crits for 3k), Unrelenting flames, heavy attack, and an executioner - all require you to be looking at the boss, or they miss / hit an add!

The Bleed on carve, whilst also an AoE, doesn't warrant it any place in a ST rotation (imo).

Also, executioner is rather pointless for anything with health above 25%, even when it crits. I know it's intended that way.

Now, as for implementing such a skill, I have a few suggestions on how to not upset the balance:

-Have it hit for a similar amount of damage as flurry. Mines (109 x5 + 302 no food).

-Instead of disorient, have it reduce the cast time to charge a heavy attack by 20%

-Give it a similar cost to flurry (mines 226), or, have it hit harder than flurry, but cost more and be slower (would make sense, great sword is heavier than a dagger). Maybe 3 strikes over 2 seconds (reduces as talent levels), for 300ish each?

-Morphs I haven't though of, but maybe it starts as three strikes for X over X, one morph reduces the cast time of a heavy swing OR wrecking blow by 20%, the other boosts your likelihood to crit by 7% or something similar. Wrecking blow already increases weapon damage, lets not focus on that. Dual wield builds are usually +10% crit in front of 2H - if they're using daggers..

Anyways, I think I've waffled enough. Let me know thoughts / criticisms / how this will be game breaking etc.

(Suggestions to go to Destro staff & light armour will be disregarded :neutral_face: )
Morticide Baen'ath - Dragonknight ●

● The Eight Divines ●

● NA ● AD ● DUNMER ●
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    somewhat a nice idea. the problem is the replacing of a given skill wich one would you sacrifice?
    my solution for 2h would be to increase the range of all 2h weapon skills to 8m.
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This actually isn't terrible idea, although I'd rather see uppercut turned into an instant cast and our chief damage come from that
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Morticide828
    Morticide828
    ✭✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »
    somewhat a nice idea. the problem is the replacing of a given skill wich one would you sacrifice?
    my solution for 2h would be to increase the range of all 2h weapon skills to 8m.

The PVPers will hate me, but the charge would be happily sacrificed..

they've got their ranged stuns - they'll be fine!
    This actually isn't terrible idea, although I'd rather see uppercut turned into an instant cast and our chief damage come from that

I agree, but the problem is that from sneak, it can be a one shot in pvp - which I hate (both the problem, and pvp).

I wish there was a happy medium, because the pvp'ers hate PVE, but with great weapons, beyond a sneak, it's horrid for PVP as well....

● The Eight Divines ●

● NA ● AD ● DUNMER ●
  • Morticide828
    Morticide828
    ✭✭✭
    Wait, I forgot about momentum (which is easy done),

No one would know if it was removed..

● The Eight Divines ●

● NA ● AD ● DUNMER ●
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few would actually but I doubt it would be missed. More importantly though, a smart idea would be to simply have skills function differently in PvP. Like in PvE it's a massive super hit, in PvP it's toned down, etc.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    give the skill line a block breaker
  • Morticide828
    Morticide828
    ✭✭✭
    Cody wrote: »

Charge should do that, I reckon

● The Eight Divines ●

● NA ● AD ● DUNMER ●
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Seiryu828 wrote: »

I think it should be uppercut that does it.
  • Morticide828
    Morticide828
    ✭✭✭

The only problem with that, is unless it's changed to an instant cast (which would make it massively overpowered), is that they can see it coming.

Maybe something similar to flame lash (DK whip skill), where a successful charge hit gives you a follow up ability to break a block?

● The Eight Divines ●

● NA ● AD ● DUNMER ●
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The only problem with that, is unless it's changed to an instant cast (which would make it massively overpowered), is that they can see it coming.

Maybe something similar to flame lash (DK whip skill), where a successful charge hit gives you a follow up ability to break a block?
    that would work.
  • dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Momentum: two handed skills and attacks ignore blocking for x seconds. The trouble finding s what is x. This would be very powerful.
  • Morticide828
    Morticide828
    ✭✭✭

Momentum: two handed skills and attacks ignore blocking for x seconds. The trouble finding s what is x. This would be very powerful.

Now THATS a good idea!

● The Eight Divines ●

● NA ● AD ● DUNMER ●
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

yes.... yes that is actually brilliant! I never thought of that!