Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Current state of Dungeon icons

Enodoc
Enodoc
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I thought I'd just present my opinion on the different icons used for dungeons currently, any problems with them, and inferences that could be drawn from them.

These are good:
  • Delves (Torch) 20px-ON-mapicon-Dungeon.png As they have always been, so that's fine.
  • Group Delves (Torch +) 20px-ON-mapicon-GroupDelve.png Literally "Delve +", this icon implies it's like a delve, but more is needed. Introduces the inference that "+" means group.
  • Group Dungeons (Doorway +) 20px-ON-mapicon-GroupInstance.png This was a good change that amplifies the difference between publicly-accessible dungeons and instanced dungeons. Appropriately uses "+" for Group.
  • Trials (Elite Doorway +) 20px-ON-mapicon-RaidDungeon.png Similar to the Group Dungeon icon, but with an essence of Elite-ness with that skull. Appropriately implies the similarity but higher difficulty to standard Group Dungeons.

Problems/Issues/Opinions
  • @ZOS_GinaBruno‌ @ZOS_TristanK‌ Group Dungeons are still not showing as completed, as reported following the new icons being introduced in Update 3. I don't think there has been much communication about this recently. Personally I think this is a UI error; I believe that the Dungeons are still considered Complete in-game, but that the Complete icon in the data files is identical to the Incomplete one, rather than the white alternative.
  • Public Dungeon (Brick Arch) 20px-ON-mapicon-PublicDungeon.png This icon looks vaguely similar to the Group Dungeon icon, which suggests a similarity between them. However, there is no similarity at all there. It also implies that Public Dungeons are caves, which they are not. A closer similarity is between Public Dungeons and Delves, as both are open to everyone, but Public Dungeons are harder to do solo than Delves. To illustrate this, I think it would be more appropriate to use the Crossed-Torches icon that these used previously. This icon more appropriately implies similarity to Delves, with the added challenge of the dungeon implied by the extra torch.
  • Dragonstar Arena (Ruin) 20px-ON-mapicon-Ruin.png Dragonstar Arena just looks like any old ruin on the map, but it is actually a Group Instance with leaderboards. I think it should really use the Doorway + icon to indicate this.
  • The Harborage (Cave) 20px-ON-mapicon-Cave.png On the map, The Harborage uses a cave icon, but when you enter it, it shows another Doorway icon, presumably indicating Solo Instance. I think it would be good if the Harborage used the same icon on the map, showing at-a-glance that it is different to other places. Combining this with the icons for Group Dungeons and Trials, this implies that Doorway symbolises "Instance", but it may also make the inference that Solo Instances are comparable to Group Dungeons and Trials, which, aside from being instances, they are not. A better alternative may be to use the Brick Cave icon for the Harborage on the map, and to symbolise a Solo Instance, to distinguish it further.

My suggestion for dungeon icons, going forward, would be:
  • ON-mapicon-Dungeon.png Torch: Delve (as now)
  • ON-mapicon-GroupDelve.png Torch +: Group Delve (as now)
  • ON-mapicon-GroupInstance_%28old%29.png Crossed Torches: Public Dungeon (as originally intended)
  • ON-mapicon-GroupDungeon.png Crossed Torches +: No current use, but perhaps in the event of a 12- or 24-man Delve-type-thing, which would be like a cross between the content of a Public Dungeon and a Group Delve.
  • ON-mapicon-SoloInstance.png Doorway: No suggested use, to avoid confusion between Grouped instances.
  • ON-mapicon-GroupInstance.png Doorway +: Group Dungeon (as now), also Instanced Group Challenges like Dragonstar Arena
  • ON-mapicon-RaidDungeon.png Elite Doorway +: Trial (as now)
  • ON-mapicon-PublicDungeon.png Brick Arch: The Harborage and other Solo Instances

Edit: The linked icons are accurate as of 25 Sept. In the event of any changes, they may not match up.
Edited by Enodoc on September 25, 2014 9:59AM
UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump.
    Following the release of TU, I have increasingly seen in chat confusion over Public Dungeon icons and what they represent, so I wanted to dig this out again to present a suggestion based on similar icons meaning similar things. Crossed-torches for Public Dungeons being the major one, to indicate the similarity to Delves and reduce the implied similarity to Group Dungeons.
    Edited by Enodoc on April 10, 2015 9:31AM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
    Options