Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are items with Nirnhoned trait - only rare purples?

Katinas
Katinas
✭✭✭✭
So I was wondering if the armor and weapon items with the new Nirnhoned trait only available in the rare purple form, or has anyone already obtained it in other colour? I have a heavy armor shoulder already in research and that was from the Upper Craglorn's main story reward. I also came across two style traits for weapons by harvesting nodes in the same area.
  • HippieTheGreat
    HippieTheGreat
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know, the only way to get Nirnhoned items is from the main quest (you get one) and you have a potential to get one from the boss you kill at the end of the main questline. That is it. So yes, they would be purple.

Outside of those methods you have to rely on trading
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been wondering about this myself. This can't be right. Each character gets one or two shots at a nirnhoned item and the only way it makes it into circulation is if they sell the item or research a purple item and trade with others? That seems rather silly.

Has anyone determined if these drop from any of the repeatable quests in Craglorn or maybe one of the following quests after the Serpents quest that gives the nirnhoned coffer? I have heard they also drop in DSA but I haven't done that to know firsthand.
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @EQballzz: Each character gets one nirnhoned item from the quest. Since update 4 got released, thousands of those items have finished researching and can be recreated by your fellow crafters. Try asking for the ones you need in zone or trade guild chat, you should be able to fond them for 2-3k if you provide the nirncrux stone.
    Wololo.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gyudan wrote: »
    @EQballzz: Each character gets one nirnhoned item from the quest. Since update 4 got released, thousands of those items have finished researching and can be recreated by your fellow crafters. Try asking for the ones you need in zone or trade guild chat, you should be able to fond them for 2-3k if you provide the nirncrux stone.
    Indeed. I asked for woodworking yesterday in Craglorn and was instantly contacted by three crafters - and it wasn't even prime time.There are no problems with circulation, really.
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Indeed. I asked for woodworking yesterday in Craglorn and was instantly contacted by three crafters - and it wasn't even prime time.There are no problems with circulation, really.

I'm not talking about circulation as much as access. I'm talking about progressing your crafting without having to rely on paying 10k+ for each research item. I already spent over 45k on my first 4 nirnhoned items because I had too many idle research slots so it's more than a little disappointing that aside from one item from a quest I will need to continue paying ridiculous sums of money to other crafters just to research items.
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    EQBallzz wrote: »
    I'm talking about progressing your crafting without having to rely on paying 10k+ for each research item.
    2k + nirncrux stone isn't hard to find. Go mining.
    Wololo.
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You shouldn't have to *pay* anything to progress crafting IMO. Sure, if you want a shortcut, fine but there should be a way to get the items (even rarely) by playing/farming or something. I have farmed upper crag numerous times and come away with 1 nirncrux stone from nodes so that is not even that viable for all the slots required for research. It's also not just "2k" because 1 stone sells for 8-12k so the opportunity cost is still 10k+.
  • Gyudan
    Gyudan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You shouldn't have to *pay* anything to progress crafting IMO. Sure, if you want a shortcut, fine but there should be a way to get the items (even rarely) by playing/farming or something. I have farmed upper crag numerous times and come away with 1 nirncrux stone from nodes so that is not even that viable for all the slots required for research. It's also not just "2k" because 1 stone sells for 8-12k so the opportunity cost is still 10k+.
    You can always ask your ingame friends to help you with research. I've crafted dozens of nirnhoned items for 0g + stone. Nirncrux is supposed to be rare and powerful, it makes sense that it's not easy to get.
    Getting nirncrux stones require farming. So does getting rare motifs. They also stated during ESO Live that Crafting Writs would not get motifs as possible rewards.
    Wololo.
  • PatchMax
    PatchMax
    ✭✭
    This thread suggests they drop through PVP rewards, too:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/142040/rewards-for-the-worthy

Can't confirm as I don't do PVP...
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can always ask your ingame friends to help you with research. I've crafted dozens of nirnhoned items for 0g + stone. Nirncrux is supposed to be rare and powerful, it makes sense that it's not easy to get.
    Getting nirncrux stones require farming. So does getting rare motifs. They also stated during ESO Live that Crafting Writs would not get motifs as possible rewards.

I'm not arguing that nirncrux stones shouldn't be rare or require farming. What I'm saying is that items with nirnhoned trait should be found somewhere in the game other than the one item you get from a quest.

Even if they are a rare drop or only found as a reward from upper crag repeatable quests or only found as drops from trials..or whatever. They should be found *somewhere* without having to pay 10k+ to other players.

I just asked in my trading guilds for a clothing item with nirnhoned for research and someone offered to make me one for 20k. Geeee..thanks? Shouldn't have to get gouged by players to advance crafting. I'm also not saying players shouldn't make a profit from research but there should be another option for people who want to progress without paying (even if it's a slower/long path).
    Edited by EQBallzz on December 7, 2014 9:59PM
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Go mining.

???