The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Just started provisioning, where do I find primary ingredients?

j_labbeb16_ESO
j_labbeb16_ESO
✭✭✭
As title says, where do I find primary mats like pork, guar eggs, liver?

Been looting containers in towns, even went to the starter island for 20 min and gotten nothing but secondary ingredients.
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you just started it, the first map where you woke up, will have lvl 1 provs mats, and they will be in every crates, barrels and such
  • j_labbeb16_ESO
    j_labbeb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually vr12
    And yes secondary ingredients are in every container for the most part but I've yet to see a single primary ingredient like pork, guar eggs, liver.
    Edited by j_labbeb16_ESO on September 8, 2014 1:56PM
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As title says, where do I find primary mats like pork, guar eggs, liver?

Been looting containers in towns, even went to the starter island for 20 min and gotten nothing but secondary ingredients.

The containers in the lower level zones have all ingredients you need to craft provisioning, both green and blue recipes.

However each of the 3 alliances has it's own recipes, and it's own ingredients which can only be found in that alliance.

If you for example play in daggerfall covenant, and somehow learned a recipe that requires guar eggs, you will never find the eggs(at least until much later in the game), because those can only be found in the other alliance.
    Edited by Sharee on September 8, 2014 1:56PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm actually vr12
    And yes secondary ingredients are in every container for the most part but I've yet to see a single primary ingredient like pork, guar eggs, liver.

The Loot does scale. You need to be in the first Starter Zone for your base Alliance (starter islands or the first city your dumped in) to see low level mats with any consistency. Also, look in bags and barrels for the lower end one. I have not done a lot of farming in the VR zones, but it appears that more mats are higher level in those instances than are not.

You may ultimately end up having to roll a low level Alt to farm the containers for lower end mats. Nice thing is, you can do this without leaving the first town.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Containers scale to your adventure level instead of Provisioning rank (why? No clue!). You'll have to farm them on an alt or buy them.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Containers scale to your adventure level instead of Provisioning rank (why? No clue!). You'll have to farm them on an alt or buy them.

Some of them do. It's really recipe drops that are entirely level adjusted. If you go to low level areas, in places like docks, seaside warehouses, and ships, inside barrels, crates, and baskets, you'll find the some low level ingredients.

EDIT

I just did an experiment. I searched through the docks at Davon's Watch with a VR1 EP character, and then again with a Level 4 EP character.

They found all the same secondary ingredients (meal, thin broth, drippings, etc), and some of the same primary ingredients (mostly corn meal), but the VR1 character found a great number of blue and purple ingredients (salt, hops, bervez fruit), as well as level 40-VR5 ingredients, that the Level 4 character didn't see. They both saw the same low level alchemy solvents, which are known to be zone and not level specific.

More than that, where the VR1 would see mostly Beef, the Level 4 would see Goat Meat. The VR1 never saw any goat meat.

Neither one of them has spent skill points in provisioning. I don't know what to conclude from this. I've had better luck in level 30-35 areas. I'll have to see if I have similar experiences elsewhere, but this seems to suggest that for some low level primary ingredients, you're going to have a hard time going back as a VR character to get them. It appears, however, that some are zone bound, and some aren't. I'm glad there are plans to overhaul all of this, because it's clearly not satisfactory the way it is.

I think that ZOS recognizes that whereas the rules can be complex, they must not be chaotic. I think that's a good description for provisioning atm.
    Edited by Srugzal on September 8, 2014 5:51PM
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Srugzal wrote: »

Some of them do. It's really recipe drops that are entirely level adjusted. If you go to low level areas, in places like docks, seaside warehouses, and ships, inside barrels, crates, and baskets, you'll find the low level ingredients.

Wished that was the case, but just checked and just got level 50 ingredients.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Srugzal wrote: »

Some of them do. It's really recipe drops that are entirely level adjusted. If you go to low level areas, in places like docks, seaside warehouses, and ships, inside barrels, crates, and baskets, you'll find the low level ingredients.

Wished that was the case, but just checked and just got level 50 ingredients.

See my edit above. I think the real answer is a bit more ambiguous. YMMV. A lot, apparently.
  • gwillard_ESO
    gwillard_ESO
    ✭✭
    Another alternative, if you have an empty character slot, is to create a new character and go through the Coldharbour tutorial area. LOTS of basic provisioning mats can be found there
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another alternative, if you have an empty character slot, is to create a new character and go through the Coldharbour tutorial area. LOTS of basic provisioning mats can be found there

That's absolutely true, but be careful. You won't get any recipes, so unless you already have them, you'll need to get them elsewhere (guild banks/stores/kiosks usually have them).
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get the occasional low level ingredient in any zone, but to reliably get the appropriate resources for one's rank, you have to have the corresponding adventure level (with two or three tiers spread, methinks).

Dunno if that's serving any purpose other than locking out high level players from low level resources to facilitate trade and protect aspiring crafters. If that's truly the case, scaling containers with your rank instead would have the same effect, but allow for picking up provisioning at any time in the game.

Having just zone bound containers would be preferable, however. Here's hoping we'll see some improvements in this regard with the revamp as well.
  • j_labbeb16_ESO
    j_labbeb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I've been busy the last few days and have to work today as well so I won't be able to log on likely till tomorrow. Seems kind of bunk that I'm gonna have to create a new char in order to find the starting level provisioning primary mats(or buy them).

Interesting test @Srugzal, I always thought that provisioning was fixed to scale with your provisioning level, hense why I could still find "some" low level green/blue mats in VR zones.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I found they scale to the area rather than the provisioner, with deshaan giving me plumb worms when I could craft higher recipes.

Mind you I found you got a series of secondary and tertiary ingredients (for blue and purple recipes) then a series of primary ingredients. so you have to keep at it, and sell the ingredients you can't use (or destroy them if 0g ingredients).
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule