Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dark elf helmet :(

Lancillotto
Lancillotto
✭✭✭
Hum... when I first saw the concept art for the dark elven armor I thought it was the coolest set of all... but then I saw the rendition in the game and concluded it looked the worst. I think the in-game version is too broad and pointy, and the eye slit is way too large. It makes the head looks too big. I wonder if the 3D model can be fixed in the future, so that it looks more like the original concept. Am I the only one who thinks the dark elf helmet is ugly?

Concept art (pretty cool):
468px-Dunmer.jpg

In-game version (awful):
DarkElf.jpg
Edited by Lancillotto on August 22, 2014 3:26PM
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've seen worse in this game.
    At least it doesn't look like a mask with moving mouthparts, those still creep me out.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • booksmcread
    booksmcread
    ✭✭✭✭
    The helmet feels way to big. When I put it on I instantly thought of Dark Helmet from Spaceballs.

darkhelmet.jpg
  • GnatB
    GnatB
    ✭✭✭✭
    I strongly suspect the problem is Khajit/Argonians.

ZoS seems to subscribe to the concept that armor should look the same (and probably be the same model) regardless of race of wearer, so most of the helms end up being oversized to fit some of the more... different... head shapes.
    Achievements Suck
  • Lancillotto
    Lancillotto
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if ZOS may keep the current model for low levels and create a new version (something closer to the original concept) for the higher levels. Different head shapes are not really an issue if the visor is small and blackened (as in the Breton and Imperial helmets).
  • smeeprocketnub19_ESO
    smeeprocketnub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea that is ugly. I am unhappy with most helms. Breton light is really nice.
    Dear Sister, I do not spread rumors, I create them.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Light Helmet is pretty nice, it looks like a plated cloth visor.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pretty much every rendition looks 3x cooler than in game armor. The art style in this game is great but the character models could use a LOT of work.
  • smeeprocketnub19_ESO
    smeeprocketnub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the other problem I have with armor, and I realize this is just a fact and won't be changed, it that when you play a larger character, it's just stretched on. My Khajiit, who I made as big as possible save for height, looks terrible in a lot of armor because they just stretch over her like she is trying to fit into a skinny girl's clothes.
    Dear Sister, I do not spread rumors, I create them.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    the other problem I have with armor, and I realize this is just a fact and won't be changed, it that when you play a larger character, it's just stretched on. My Khajiit, who I made as big as possible save for height, looks terrible in a lot of armor because they just stretch over her like she is trying to fit into a skinny girl's clothes.

That is one of the reasons I haven't made an Orc character yet. Their bodies and armor are generally larger and it looks so weird... looks like they are in wresting spandex.
  • SkillzMFG
    SkillzMFG
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, also the dark elf medium armor has waaay too small shoulders, they should make them more like ordinators from morrowind tumblr_lmye2j0Ew31qdjg0ko1_400.jpg
  • Lancillotto
    Lancillotto
    ✭✭✭
    SkillzMFG wrote: »
    I agree, also the dark elf medium armor has waaay too small shoulders, they should make them more like ordinators from morrowind tumblr_lmye2j0Ew31qdjg0ko1_400.jpg

Yes, I didn't touch on that subject, but I totally agree.
  • Anvos
    Anvos
    ✭✭✭
    Actually I'd say dunmer heavy armor should have been somewhere been more high ordinator style without you know breaking the they kill you for wearing it point.
  • Lancillotto
    Lancillotto
    ✭✭✭
    And on females that helmet looks even worse, ridiculously oversized:

Screenshot_20140824_112212_zpscf395cf7.png

• The_Sadist
    The_Sadist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm disappointed the heavy armour doesn't look like this with medium being different, but that's just me.

trib_web03B.jpg

(I agree the hat is ugly, I use Ancient Elf / Imperial / Altmer normally)
    Edited by The_Sadist on August 25, 2014 12:07PM
    "Each event is preceded by Prophecy. But without the hero, there is no Event." ― Zurin Arctus, the Underking.
    Tragrim - How do I work this thing?
    Casually stalking the forums
  • DrizztWulfgar
    DrizztWulfgar
    ✭✭
    I just decided to Hide my helmet.....thanks option menu....Thank you hideahelmet.....
  • bertenburnyb16_ESO
    bertenburnyb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    most armors, compared to the concept art look pretty bad
    Haze Ramoran Dunmer Dragonknight Tank/Dps – Smoked-Da-Herb Saxheel Templar Tank/Healer

Red Diamond, Protect us 'til the end (EU EP Thorn)
  • Wing
    Wing
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, I would not mind if it was less physically possible as long as it looked good, cause the khajiit and argonians just look silly in helms.
    ESO player since beta.
    full time subscriber.
    PC NA
    ( ^_^ )

You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods You shall be as gods -Xenogears
    DK one trick
  • firstdecan
    firstdecan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The concept art version makes this look like a Cylon from Battlestar Galactica. There might have been copyright issues (second part is a joke btw).
    Hum... when I first saw the concept art for the dark elven armor I thought it was the coolest set of all... but then I saw the rendition in the game and concluded it looked the worst. I think the in-game version is too broad and pointy, and the eye slit is way too large. It makes the head looks too big. I wonder if the 3D model can be fixed in the future, so that it looks more like the original concept. Am I the only one who thinks the dark elf helmet is ugly?

Concept art (pretty cool):
    468px-Dunmer.jpg

In-game version (awful):
    DarkElf.jpg

• Kronosphere
    Kronosphere
    ✭✭✭✭
    +1 for this the concept looks AMAZING

maybe iof they make a new visual tier(or relase the one already in game) for basic motifs we can hope for this
    ~House Indoril~
    Submit to the three, the spirits and thy lords.

• AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You think that's bad? Try wearing a light armor dunmer hat on an argonian. My poor sorc looked like a ninja turtle when she was wearing Magicka Furnace...
    The Moot Councillor
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The helmet feels way to big. When I put it on I instantly thought of Dark Helmet from Spaceballs.
    That's how I feel wearing helmets as Khajiit or Argonian, which is why I always hide helmet on those characters. Even some of the beast-specific helms just look awkward (looking at you, Argonian heavy helm -- you look like a stone toilet bowl).
  • Nighn_9
    Nighn_9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they changed it a bit cuz the concept art of the dark elf helmet looks a bit too much like the ebony helm in my opinion
    NA / PC
    November Beta 2013
    WEBSITE LINK MY TWITCH
    WEBSITE LINK MY YOUTUBE
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TES games have never had attractive helms. It's practically canon.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have to admit the Dunmer helmet never looked right to me. Nothing about it in its present state looks particularly dunmer to me. It looks neither like Ordinator, Armiger, Bonemold nor Chitin which is what I always think of as signature Dunmer styles. Maybe the Dunmer hadn't gotten into these styles fully in this era, who knows.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • FilthyMudcrabs
    FilthyMudcrabs
    ✭✭✭
    Well at least it isn't the Argonian helmet. Bleh.
    Saw a mudcrab the other day. Dreadful creatures.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use hide helmet a lot cos the helmets rarely look good.Unless they are higher level drops or wins.Like the Rage helmet.
  • Deadfinger6
    Deadfinger6
    ✭✭✭
    Made elf helmet, thought Wtf, scrapped it.