Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dragonknight melee skills and damage type, question.

glavius
glavius
✭✭✭✭✭
I know skills like "Lava Whip", "Searing Strike" should deal fire damage according to skill description.
But I also know alot of melee skills that deal magical damage are mitigated by armor. (Nightblade "Teleport Strike" and "Veiled Strike")

1: Are the Dragonknight skills also mitigated by armor, or do they go against fire resists?

2: If mitigated by armor, do they still deal 50% more damage to vampires?
  • go0f1
    go0f1
    Soul Shriven
    "Lava Whip" scales with magicka, weapon damage and weapon crit
    "Searing Strike" scales with magicka
    initial: weapon damage and weapon crit
    dot: spell damage and spell crit

if the skill does physical damage so it is mitgated by armor
    if the skill does any type of magic damage so it is mitgated by spell resist
  • glavius
    glavius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe last line of what you said is correct. Alot of magic damage melee skils actually do physical damage (mitigated by armor)
    Examples of this are puncturing strikes, teleport strike and veiled strike (Documented in Mystborns videos)
    I just haven't found any tests of the DK skills.
  • go0f1
    go0f1
    Soul Shriven
    I don´t mean with magic damage that is a magicka based skill.
    It mean any type of magic damage (fire,frost...)
    Don´t want say: "READ THE DESCRIPTION OF SKILLS!!!" ^^
    Edited by go0f1 on August 14, 2014 7:02PM
  • glavius
    glavius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The description of skills is incorrect in many cases. So READING THE DESCRIPTION OF SKILLS won't help me one bit. I need info from someone who tested it. Not someone who thinks they know how it works.
  • go0f1
    go0f1
    Soul Shriven
    I don´t have any numbers, but i tested it because i want to play a stamina based build with armor penetration.
    So i can say for dk and skills i use the descripions is right.
  • guybrushtb16_ESO
    guybrushtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    go0f1 wrote: »
    I don´t mean with magic damage that is a magicka based skill.
    It mean any type of magic damage (fire,frost...)
    Don´t want say: "READ THE DESCRIPTION OF SKILLS!!!" ^^

No, the DESCRIPTION OF SKILLS, as you put it, is obviously wrong in many cases. In the examples op mentioned, the skills explicitely say "deal magic damage" as opposed to "deal physical damage" which appears on weapon skills. Despite this, both of them go against armor; they don't care about spell resist at all and there is no practical difference between "magical" and "physical" damage in this case.
    go0f1 wrote: »
    if the skill does physical damage so it is mitgated by armor
    if the skill does any type of magic damage so it is mitgated by spell resist

See above why this is wrong. If you chose to throw around badly worded, condescending comments, you should probably get your facts straight first.

Back on topic, a long time ago I read about some testing of mitigation against the flame lash skill on tamrielfoundry. Surprisingly, the answer they found was: both. Melee class skills with elemental descriptors apparently count as both physical and fire, and are subject to both armor and fire resist.