The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

My Bad ...

Skraticus
Skraticus
✭✭✭
So, I think it was about a week ago, there was a group of people roleplaying in Khenarthi’s Roost. They were having a good 'ol time, walking around conversating and what not. Eventually some houses started burning and all kinds of events. It was the first time I had seen anybody openly roleplay on ESO so I kinda wanted to follow and watch. Not troll, mind you, just watch. Since I didn't want to be a troll, I tried to fit in the best I could by "sneaking" around as they did their thing.

Long story short, this little dark elf was caught and they gave chase. I didn't know what the hell to do. I even got ate by slaughterfish at some point. Can't remember anybody's names, or better yet, how to spell them as they were lore friendly types of names. Just wanted to say I hope I didn't ruin your evening of events. I'm pretty sure the trolls are thick out there for you guys. I still have scars from the slaughterfish if that makes you feel any better ...

On a side note, it would be cool if roleplayers were more accepted/welcome. I'd love to see some dialogue going on while I'm at the smith making stuff, or watch people booze it up and act disorderly. I'd figure a game like the Elder Scrolls series would be loaded with roleplayers, and I'm surprised it took me this long to find some people doing it openly. Do they just all do it guild chat for the most part?
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skraticus wrote: »
    So, I think it was about a week ago, there was a group of people roleplaying in Khenarthi’s Roost. They were having a good 'ol time, walking around conversating and what not. Eventually some houses started burning and all kinds of events. It was the first time I had seen anybody openly roleplay on ESO so I kinda wanted to follow and watch. Not troll, mind you, just watch. Since I didn't want to be a troll, I tried to fit in the best I could by "sneaking" around as they did their thing.

Long story short, this little dark elf was caught and they gave chase. I didn't know what the hell to do. I even got ate by slaughterfish at some point. Can't remember anybody's names, or better yet, how to spell them as they were lore friendly types of names. Just wanted to say I hope I didn't ruin your evening of events. I'm pretty sure the trolls are thick out there for you guys. I still have scars from the slaughterfish if that makes you feel any better ...

On a side note, it would be cool if roleplayers were more accepted/welcome. I'd love to see some dialogue going on while I'm at the smith making stuff, or watch people booze it up and act disorderly. I'd figure a game like the Elder Scrolls series would be loaded with roleplayers, and I'm surprised it took me this long to find some people doing it openly. Do they just all do it guild chat for the most part?
    I do believe they were including you in their RP. you can always feel free to say in chat ((mind if i watch the story?)) most RPers wont mind and if its an issue then well they are not nice are they. I know when i RP i have had people stop ant watch and i do not mind. i even try to get them to join from time to time. So long as said people don't go out of their way t o troll most RPers do not have an issue with it.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to do a lot more roleplay back in the days of SWG. In more recent games though I just cant seem to get into it as much, i love coming across groups of players Roleplaying in ESO, but I rarely join in as I havent given any real though to my character's background or personality and would not have a base to approach the conversation from.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • katkat42
    katkat42
    ✭✭✭
    You get a lot of open roleplay in the Pact zones. Not as much in the others. I haven't seen anyone mocked for it, though.

I doubt that group minded too much. RP is basically improv, after all, and they simply improv-ed around your presence. :-)
    Stonehenge ROCKS!
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The other day I logged into Daggerfall and when I headed over to the bank there was a dead horse with a dead guy on it. I have no idea what happened, but many of us stood around, prayed, chatted, made comments about the dead horse (I'm sure you can imagine it).

Who ever that guy was, he spawned a heck of a good time role-playing by a lot of people. So on that note, if something interesting happens, jump in.

Earlier today I saw a redgard dancing (mostly) naked in a bank. It was quite a suggestive dance that I had never seen before, so I whispered asking what it was. Turns out it was the redguard default dance, which you get to by /danceredgard

I tried it (with my fully armored orc) and it didn't look quite right. So I had to strip down and try it again - lovely and off color. So there we are dancing suggestively in the bank, and you could see that other PCs were staring at us like we were crazy people (which might not have been completely wrong) and some guy starts his character playing a lute. What can I say - my character must have lost (or maybe won) a pretty serious drinking game.

The best way to increase the social weirdness in the game is to try some.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Deccion
    Deccion
    ✭✭
    Good luck finding a bar in Eastmarch or The Rift not full of RP on a weekend night.

Not complaining mind you. Just trying to point you in the right direction if you are looking for more.
    Edited by Deccion on January 18, 2015 9:22AM
  • Dyna
    Dyna
    ✭✭✭
    Holy crap! HI!

I don't frequent the forums much, but I'm pretty much 95% certain that it was myself and a few others chasing you. :)

We thought you were part of the RP event - I can assure you we were all having fun with it, and didn't assume you were trolling! In the future, please don't hesitate to send a /tell to anyone RPing to let them know you're just watching; I'd hate to think I was unintentionally forcing someone to participate when they didn't want to!

- Varayne, the angry one-eyed Altmer
  • Feynn
    Feynn
    ✭✭✭
    This is one really cool thread! I imagine you are on the NA megaserver, but actually we have a lot of open RP going on the EU megaserver too. Wayrest, in the Daggerfall Covenant, is a great RP hub. It's really easy to find random RP in the tavern, and more organized RP in plenty of other locations. It's easier if one is in a proper RP guild of course, at the very least because it means the game will phase you with other RPers. In my guild we have often found people who like to stay and watch our RP. To be honest, I find it flattering to have an audience, and people who would find our stories so engaging even without being actively part of them. And some of them, over time, have even decided to join more actively in the fun. Let me tell you, you have never truly enjoyed the depth of the Elder Scrolls universe until you have RPed in it.
    Join us on Stormhaven RP! The largest TESO roleplay community of the Daggerfall Covenant, EU Megaserver.
  • Skraticus
    Skraticus
    ✭✭✭
    Dyna wrote: »
    Holy crap! HI!

I don't frequent the forums much, but I'm pretty much 95% certain that it was myself and a few others chasing you. :)

We thought you were part of the RP event - I can assure you we were all having fun with it, and didn't assume you were trolling! In the future, please don't hesitate to send a /tell to anyone RPing to let them know you're just watching; I'd hate to think I was unintentionally forcing someone to participate when they didn't want to!

- Varayne, the angry one-eyed Altmer

Ha, well, that was several months ago now, you still sure? Ha ha. Honestly, I was just in my own little world dinking around with a new toon when you guys came strolling through. I seen all the talking and was like "what's this?" and went to investigate. I gotta say that whole scene was pretty elaborate, what with burning houses and all. If there was an option to follow a player from a set distance, I would have done so and grabbed some popcorn.

But yeah, glad to know I didn't ruin anyone's fun. I enjoyed myself haha
    Edited by Skraticus on February 21, 2015 3:44AM
  • Dyna
    Dyna
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, I remember because it was a REALLY cool event hosted by someone from the Ebonheart Pact - it was actually a really large thing planned by @TheHumanFloyd where players from Ebonheart rolled low-level characters and we all just came together in a giant mass of fighting. It went over amazingly well! We roleplayed small army from the Pact invaded Khenarthi's Roost as retribution for the events in Shadowfen - if you've done EP's questline, you'll know what I mean. :)

The Aldmeri forces routed the invasion, but not without suffering considerable losses of our own; what you saw was the aftermath, our characters were making sure that all the Ebonheart Pact folk really had gone, so when we saw a dark elf sneaking around at a low level, we believed you to be a guest from EP roleplaying as one of the unfortunate Pact members who did not make it through the portal.
  • Skraticus
    Skraticus
    ✭✭✭
    Man, that's pretty cool. I don't think my timing could have been better haha. Too bad I didn't know all that, I would have gotten in it a little more just to make the most of the moment.

Maybe I need to get into the whole RP thing. I tinkered around with a few different builds/playstyles and ended up with an Argonian NB Tank as my favorite and main, but man after Molag Bal I was just like .... pfffft and really lost interest in the game. Something about it just didn't have me constantly coming back like the other Elder Scrolls games. I'm hoping 1.6 will change that.

But, getting back to RP, the only experience I have with that was a very small amount in City of Heroes back in the day. I'll admit, it was fun, but we didn't do anything close to what you guys were/are doing. What I was there for was mostly just made up the fly, as in you create a backstory and personality for your character then do "dungeons" or whatever in character. I enjoyed that. It certainly creates some funny moments and good times. Making characters was always my favorite part, as I like to write fiction anyway when I'm not working or gaming it up.

I've found myself wanting to support RP guilds/groups in TESO since the first time I saw some and everyone was ragging on them, but I don't really know what I have to offer. I mean, everybody can smith, tailor, alchemy, etc, so there is nothing unique there I can offer. So, I just kind of watch and listen when I'm in the game to see if I can be of any use.

Of course .... now that I'm sitting here talking about the game I want to go play it some more...
  • Thron
    Thron
    If youre interested in more, Im sure the fine folks in AD like Dyna. The thing I love about RP, is just what you mentioned, questing or PvP and all that, you can get really bored of the game sometimes, instead of waiting around for DLC, Roleplayers write their own almost, we keep a story going and really take the game to that next level of immersion. Don't worry about being new, we were all new once without a clue what we were doing, and would love to help you get the hang of it,