The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Racial Motif Questing

Aleraon
Aleraon
✭✭✭✭
Dear Zenimax,

rather than wasting developer time constantly adjusting the drop rates of high level motifs - yes we know you do it - I have a suggestion.

Once you reach the veteran levels why not have quests available from the Blacksmiths, Tailors, and Woodworkers who hear tell of rare style books. You would then have to complete the quest in order to acquire the style book for the quest giver, who would then give you a copy upon completion of said quest.

The quest could also be levelled to match your crafting ability so at the appropriate level you could go off and quest for a primal, barbaric, ancient elf or daedric motif and the experience gained from completing the quest could go towards levelling your chosen craft.

This to me would be much more enjoyable than having to open every single container throughout the world in the hope of finding one. It would also help keep the world immersive and fun instead of having to port all over the map while trying to hunt down a particular motif.

Additionally I think it would help reduce the numbers who actively farm motifs in order to sell them at ridiculous prices as everyone would then know that at some point they would be able to get their hands on one. People willing to buy them would still be able to do so, while those of us who just want to get on with our crafting without having to empty the contents of our coinpurse for one motif would be able to do just that.

(EU/AD) CP501 Razum-dah - Khajiiti Templar Healer
(EU/AD) CP501 J'Kara Silverclaw - Khajiiti Dragonknight tank
(EU/AD) CP501 Rajhiin - Khajiiti stamina Nightblade
(EU/AD) CP501 Draven Corvillian - Breton magicka Nightblade
(EU/AD) CP501 Sinderian Nightflame - High Elf magicka sorcerer
(EU/AD) CP501 J'zargo Silverclaw - Khajiit stamina Templar
(EU/AD) CP501 Ariella Nightshade - High Elf Magicka Nightblade
(EU/AD) CP501 Ri'shada - Khajiit Stamina Sorcerer
(EU/AD) LVL29 Valeon Indoril - Dark Elf Magicka Dragonknight
*The Queen stole this one's moonsugar candies lol*
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like your idea, but would expand it to daily or weekly quests from the different crafting lines, based on your skill and location, and the reward is inspiration (Experience) in the crafting skill and some level appropriate items (Ore, Trait Gems, Motif Items, Tannin items, perhaps a motif or recipe, rare food items (Tomatoes...), Rune Stones, better glyphs (not white)... I am not sure what Alchemy would get, flowers and water I guess...

Basing the quests on your skill and location means that if your skill is lower or higher then the area you are in then there will be no quests for you, on the other hand, if your VR12 wants to learn a new crafting skill, they will need to go back to their starting zone to get the quests.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • Chuggernaut
    Chuggernaut
    ✭✭✭
    I love this idea, and it would allow for more Motifs to be easily added to the game!
    My comrades have returned. I erect the spine of gratitude. You are a hero today. - Bura-Natoo
  • Isibis
    Isibis
    ✭✭✭
    The current motif situation is not optimal, but it is not due to a lack of motifs, rare or otherwise. I find nothing outrageous about a rare motif selling for 20k. Why? Because if you make an alt and quest from lvl 3 to 20 you will have 20k. And of course a day in a high level public dungeon will probably do as well.
    I have all the rares and I found only two myself.
  • Aleraon
    Aleraon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hamfast wrote: »
    I like your idea, but would expand it to daily or weekly quests from the different crafting lines, based on your skill and location, and the reward is inspiration (Experience) in the crafting skill and some level appropriate items (Ore, Trait Gems, Motif Items, Tannin items, perhaps a motif or recipe, rare food items (Tomatoes...), Rune Stones, better glyphs (not white)... I am not sure what Alchemy would get, flowers and water I guess...

Basing the quests on your skill and location means that if your skill is lower or higher then the area you are in then there will be no quests for you, on the other hand, if your VR12 wants to learn a new crafting skill, they will need to go back to their starting zone to get the quests.

I like this and a repeatable daily quest would be good as they already have those in Cyrodiil, so I see no reason why they couldn't implement them in the PVE zones for certain things. It just helps keep the world that much more immersive and fun and frees up developer time from them constantly adjusting the drop rates of things. It would also, maybe, help regulate the prices a little that people sell them for as I've seen people in zone and in a few guilds still trying to sell them for between 50 to 100k.

Having played up to VR11 on the NA server and now VR8 on the EU server, where I'm also Guildmaster of a crafting and trade guild which also dabbles in all other aspects of the game, its become a bit of an obsession at times trying to find a motif. Since hitting my 3rd veteran zone I've yet to find a single one after opening every lootable container I've come across from Daggerfall to Bangkorai a multitude of times lol. Fortunately someone was kind enough to give me a Daedric motif for helping them but an ancient elf cost me 40k which I was just about able to afford lol.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aleraon wrote: »
    Dear Zenimax,

rather than wasting developer time constantly adjusting the drop rates of high level motifs - yes we know you do it - I have a suggestion.

Once you reach the veteran levels why not have quests available from the Blacksmiths, Tailors, and Woodworkers who hear tell of rare style books. You would then have to complete the quest in order to acquire the style book for the quest giver, who would then give you a copy upon completion of said quest.

Sounds good, provided the motif book is bound to your account, so you can learn it or give it to an alt, but not sell it.

Otherwise we will see people farming it, and others complaining about said farming.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • ArconSeptim
    ArconSeptim
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you find them under 50 60k then you are lucky honestly imperial motif is around 100k purple ones 50 - 60k.
  • TRIP233
    TRIP233
    ✭✭✭
    If you find them under 50 60k then you are lucky honestly imperial motif is around 100k purple ones 50 - 60k.

Yeah it used to be 50-60k for a rare motif but with how many motif farmers there where the price dropped to 20k because everyone was trying to sell there and under cut the other motif farmer.

With the new changes to the drop rates the prices should go back up to 50-60k. But I farmed for 5 days and still haven't gotten one rare motif. I got a lot of purple recipes though. Mostly the drinks that no one wants I did get a few of the foods to. I learned one of them and sold the other for around 40k.. I can't quite remember could have been 50k. Though if easy to get purple recipes are going for 50k and it still takes more then 5 days to get a motif then it stands to reason that the motifs should go for 100k. Imperial 150k now.
  • Aleraon
    Aleraon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've found quite a few purple recipes myself. There seem to be more of those turning up now. The ones I already know on my main I either used on my lower level alt or gave to one of my guild. As of now I've still actually yet to find a 3rd faction motif and I've literally covered the entire map. Even though I don't actually need them for my main now it would be good to have a couple of spares, either to pass to an alt for use at a later date or to give away as a guild prize. Not everyone's a provisioner but people do love their gear :smile:
  • Aleraon
    Aleraon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dear Zenimax,

Sounds good, provided the motif book is bound to your account, so you can learn it or give it to an alt, but not sell it.

Otherwise we will see people farming it, and others complaining about said farming.

yes, having it bound to your account like other quest rewards would definitely be a reasonable idea. As everyone would get one sooner or later the fact that its bound wouldn't really matter as it does with some things like dropped set items. Either that or the game could somehow keep track of your repeatable motif quests and, once you have them all, the vendors could stop giving out the quests with a simple "sorry, but I've not heard of any more rare styles yet. Come back later."

Gives the developers a way to add more to the quest list at a later date should they decide to introduce more motifs but prevents people from constantly farming them.
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dear Zenimax,

The quest could also be levelled to match your crafting ability so at the appropriate level you could go off and quest for a primal, barbaric, ancient elf or daedric motif and the experience gained from completing the quest could go towards levelling your chosen craft.

This to me would be much more enjoyable than having to open every single container throughout the world in the hope of finding one. It would also help keep the world immersive and fun instead of having to port all over the map while trying to hunt down a particular motif.

Additionally I think it would help reduce the numbers who actively farm motifs in order to sell them at ridiculous prices as everyone would then know that at some point they would be able to get their hands on one. People willing to buy them would still be able to do so, while those of us who just want to get on with our crafting without having to empty the contents of our coinpurse for one motif would be able to do just that.

I like it! It's fair and everyone can work for it and achieve it. None of this open a million chests and see what you get lottery business. It also gives vets more purpose. Don't allow them to be farmed at all IMO. They should really do this.
    Edited by purple-magicb16_ESO on August 26, 2014 2:46PM
    Give 'er eh!
  • Unmai
    Unmai
    ✭✭✭
    I really like this idea. Would add another motif for levelling craft skills and add a little to the endgame content.
    "Wonderful! Time for a celebration... Cheese for everyone! Wait, scratch that. Cheese for no one. That can be just as much of a celebration, if you don't like cheese. True?" - Sheogorath
  • Aleraon
    Aleraon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if Zenimax will ever implement something like this though. Be good if they did as the item chase is only so much fun if there's actually a chance of finding what you're looking for. If not then maybe they could introduce a vendor where you could actually buy them as I've come across one bookstore in the game but its abandoned. When I first came across it I thought I might have actually found a place where there was a chance to get stuff like that until I went inside and found the shop wrecked lol.
  • LadyShauna
    LadyShauna
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I think the drop rates are adjusted quite regularly, currently its near impossible to obtain these rare motifs, having to invest entire days or a week to getting one, and that's just if you're motif farming. There's got to be a better way to show we're dedicated to getting the motif. I like the quest suggestion.
    Lady Shauna - Breton/Sorcerer/DPS-Healer/Vampire/DC/
    Lady Luna Lockheart - Breton/Templar/Healer/Human/DC/