Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

So is the Templar class really that bad?

Elyna
Elyna
✭✭✭✭
I heard a bunch of people saying the Templar class was killed by Zenimax. Did they really get nerfed that hard or was it just blown out of proportion?
  • Cyhawk
    Cyhawk
    ✭✭✭
    Templar is one of the most powerful things you can be right now. Blazing shield was borderline OP before this patch to people who knew about it, the 'unnerf' of it makes it insane. At its worse its a slightly better GDB.

Then again we have competition from the Magma Shell buff, so who knows who will win this battle.

Templar is only bad if you don't think about what you're doing. Yeah the DPS is low but it more than makes up for it with defensive and powerful DoTs. Besides, most DPS abilities are weapon abilities not class abilities.
  • nerrollus
    nerrollus
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped playing my Templar and started a DK until they get things balanced because they're worthless in PvP other than healing.

Ragnarok Blackfist - Templar of the Ebonheart Pact
    Ronin Wanderhome - Dragon Knight of the Ebonheart Pact
  • MongooseOne
    MongooseOne
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on what you plan on doing. The only thing Templar is not real good at is endgame Trials DPS. Anything else Templar is pretty beastly.
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyhawk wrote: »
    Besides, most DPS abilities are weapon abilities not class abilities.

...assuming you ignore Puncturing Strikes, Silver Shards, several Ultimates... ;-)

• TaffyIX
    TaffyIX
    ✭✭✭
    He he, my Templar is fine :blush:
    Breton Templar
    Daggerfall Covenant
    EU Megaserver
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nerrollus wrote: »
    I stopped playing my Templar and started a DK until they get things balanced because they're worthless in PvP other than healing.
    not everybody bury themselves in PvP day after day.

btw, even if not a good dps in zerging PvP, it is still a excellent addition in any group.
  • Cyhawk
    Cyhawk
    ✭✭✭
    Srugzal wrote: »

...assuming you ignore Puncturing Strikes, Silver Shards, several Ultimates... ;-)

Puncturing sweep is horrible for PvP since its a channeled ability and eats a lot of mana. Yeah it works and has uses but its not spammable like say, Impulse. Doing so will get you killed very quickly. Silver shards and guild abilities fall into the 'weapon abilities' category meaning universal, so not unique to Templars which is all the really matters when discussing a specific class =)
  • Springt-Über-Zwerge
    Springt-Über-Zwerge
    ✭✭✭✭
    I stopped playing my DK because i was bored and my templar is at least as strong as the DK and a lot more fun because there are so many different things you can do. Not like the DK where you drive the same setup day in day out.

My Templar has a pretty decent dps 2 or 3 Spear attacks and most vet 12 bite the grass ;)
    PC,EU, EP
    Der-über-Zwerge-springt (Argonian, Magplar), Surtur Velothi (Dunmer, Magdk), Jaqene H'ghar (Imperial, Stamblade), Puppyslayer (Orc, Stamdk), Dagoth Era (Dunmer, Magblade), Æthmon Trevas (Altmer, Magsorc), Der-Zuletzt-Lacht (Argonian, Magden), Sir-Lanzeflott (Redguard, Stamplar)
  • Skafsgaard
    Skafsgaard
    ✭✭✭✭
    We, the templars, are not borderline OP, but can know actually defend ourselves properly. And no spamming heals as u take damage is not fun or effecvtive, cast a blazing shield and get mana back to cast another 4 sec after (shield has 6 sec duration) is nice! No more annoying NBs who can take me out!
    I EAT GANKERS MUAHAHAHA!
    Edited by Skafsgaard on August 6, 2014 12:05PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited supports hundreds of players on screen at once in an open world fight for control of Cyrodiil. Get ready for the most intense online PvP experience ever created, with The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited.

Yes, I am ready...

Source:
    http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/game-guide/the-alliance-war
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Puncturing sweep is horrible for PvP since its a channeled ability and eats a lot of mana. Yeah it works and has uses but its not spammable like say, Impulse. Doing so will get you killed very quickly. Silver shards and guild abilities fall into the 'weapon abilities' category meaning universal, so not unique to Templars which is all the really matters when discussing a specific class =)

impulse is not a class ability.
    Edited by crislevin on August 6, 2014 12:02PM
  • Elyna
    Elyna
    ✭✭✭✭
    TaffyIX wrote: »

What weapon do you use?
  • Skafsgaard
    Skafsgaard
    ✭✭✭✭
    Off topic:

So i read in a CC + DK thread that u arent supposed to stun/cc and they will get immunity.
    Question then, for templars: if I charge in with toppling charge do a blazing shield - maybe a biting jab depends on encounter and then stun with my blinding spear will that work? Or will charge stun cancel the spear stun?

Thanks for any input
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited supports hundreds of players on screen at once in an open world fight for control of Cyrodiil. Get ready for the most intense online PvP experience ever created, with The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited.

Yes, I am ready...

Source:
    http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/game-guide/the-alliance-war
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elyna wrote: »
    I heard a bunch of people saying the Templar class was killed by Zenimax. Did they really get nerfed that hard or was it just blown out of proportion?

Please feel free to go play any other class but Templar.

However, I do play a Khajiit "Assault" Templar, and I love him. To the extend I am making an Altmer Templar of exactly the same build for the bit more oomph I want, for the laughs.

How powerful an "Assault" Templar is. Please ask what happened on Sunday night twice (in 5 minutes) to the EP DK Vampire Emperor (no names) when came to blows 1 vs 1 with a cool looking Khajiit. And ask also, how fast he was running away the consecutive times the same Khajiit chase him.
    Edited by p_tsakirisb16_ESO on August 6, 2014 12:12PM
  • smeeprocketnub19_ESO
    smeeprocketnub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmm I -have- seen a lot of blazing shield on my death recap.

Templars have always seemed pretty balanced for me but if there are new changes I haven't really gotten to experience them enough.
    Dear Sister, I do not spread rumors, I create them.
  • nerrollus
    nerrollus
    ✭✭✭
    crislevin wrote: »
    not everybody bury themselves in PvP day after day.

btw, even if not a good dps in zerging PvP, it is still a excellent addition in any group.

Not saying they do, just adding to the OP's question from my perspective.

Ragnarok Blackfist - Templar of the Ebonheart Pact
    Ronin Wanderhome - Dragon Knight of the Ebonheart Pact
  • Baphomet
    Baphomet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the no magicka regen on blazing shield out the window and with the new increased softcaps templars are perfectly viable again. A well-played templar can take anything on in PvP now.

The Aedric Spear and Restoration class trees are pretty much perfect. Dawn's Wrath still needs some tweaking, though. They could also still need a little love in the resource department.

That aside, templars are back in the game and with some minor adjustments, they will be perfect.
    - The Psijic Order
    - TKO
    - Dominant Dominion
    - The Noore
  • Mopar63
    Mopar63
    ✭✭✭
    However, I do play a Khajiit "Assault" Templar, and I love him. To the extend I am making an Altmer Templar of exactly the same build for the bit more oomph I want, for the laughs.

How powerful an "Assault" Templar is. Please ask what happened on Sunday night twice (in 5 minutes) to the EP DK Vampire Emperor (no names) when came to blows 1 vs 1 with a cool looking Khajiit. And ask also, how fast he was running away the consecutive times the same Khajiit chase him.

Can you give me some info on this "Assault" build?

True honor need not be named
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In pvp templar are fine. In PVE they underperform at everything other than healing.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Avidus
    Avidus
    ✭✭✭
    Ive encountered great Templars playing in each role in PvP.
    Honestly, I do no believe they are weak.
  • TaffyIX
    TaffyIX
    ✭✭✭
    Elyna wrote: »
    TaffyIX wrote: »

What weapon do you use?

I'll admit whilst in Cyrodiil I use 2 x Resto staves, however in PvE DW.

It doesn't really make much of a difference to my build which weapon I use(other than 10% extra damage from Resto), as I only use class skills for my main 'dps/solo' bar.
    Breton Templar
    Daggerfall Covenant
    EU Megaserver
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • Orchish
    Orchish
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this sarcasm? There are some damn good Templar players in PvP. Blazing shield can be a real pain for melee DK's.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully the current state of Templar in PVP does not over-shadow the fact that they still lack in anything other than healing in PVE.
    Edited by timidobserver on August 6, 2014 1:14PM

• Circuitous
    Circuitous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could I get a breakdown on how Templars are bad in PvE?
    Thank Stendarr it’s Fredas.
    Elanirne: Altmer Templar Healer, DC
    Auria Dolabella: Imperial Nightblade Tank, DC
  • FlinkeKlinge
    FlinkeKlinge
    ✭✭✭
    Templars are fine.
    Actually more then that, with the right build they are beasts.
    Solo World Bosses: Check
    Solo Public Dungeons: Check
    Solo Dolmens: Check
    Viability in 1v1 PvP : Check
    Viability in large scale PvP: Check
    Edited by FlinkeKlinge on August 6, 2014 1:20PM
    "When you die, it just instantly robs life of many pleasures."
    random guy in pub
  • semp3rfi
    semp3rfi
    ✭✭✭
    Im loving my templar. with the new soft caps and the regen thing taken off blazing shield, I am feeling like a beast
  • LariahHunding
    LariahHunding
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a VR12 NB, VR2 DK, and I am now leveling a temp at lvl 41.

I am mowing down stuff I never did with the first two toons in PVE. Taking out world bosses, etc. I couldn't with them.

Some is probably I am a much better player now, but not all.

Manage the mana and mana regen, and temps are a badass.

And I have not even leveled Blazing shields yet.

And I am have the most fun I have had in this game for awhile.
    Edited by LariahHunding on August 6, 2014 1:29PM
    "Give a man a sweet roll, he only has one to steal. Give him a sweet roll recipe, he have bunches to steal."

• bertenburnyb16_ESO
    bertenburnyb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    semp3rfi wrote: »
    Im loving my templar. with the new soft caps and the regen thing taken off blazing shield, I am feeling like a beast

my templar is an argonian so yeah I feel like a beast
    but yeah except end game pve dps (trails) templars are fine (with some tweaking here and there but thats with every class)
    Haze Ramoran Dunmer Dragonknight Tank/Dps – Smoked-Da-Herb Saxheel Templar Tank/Healer

Red Diamond, Protect us 'til the end (EU EP Thorn)
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Circuitous wrote: »

Tanking: We have adequate survival tools, but lack reliable control tools. A DK can easily keep mobs in place for AOEing down or pull enemies around.
    DPS: Our single target dps is not competive with the other classes. This is one of the reasons that competitive trials groups to prefer non-Temp dps.
    Edited by timidobserver on August 6, 2014 1:38PM

• Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Circuitous wrote: »

Tanking: We have adequate survival tools, but lack reliable control tools. A DK can easily keep mobs in place for AOEing down or pull enemies around.
    DPS: Our single target dps is not competive with the other classes. This is one of the reasons that cause competitive trials groups to prefer non-Temp dps.

Yeap pretty much this.

The huge issues of the templar are:

Lack of magicka control.
    Lack of dps.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[censored]. Also you're changing the subject. You were saying DPS = weapon, which isn't true and the point of my reply. PS gives great burst DPS. Whether or not you think something is spamable is irrelevant. PS certainly is. And the Guild skill lines are not tied to weapons...

But the real point is this: you don't use pure class skills on your characters, do you? Then it makes no sense to contend that a "class" is somehow sub-par.
    Edited by Srugzal on August 6, 2014 11:54PM