Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

(Hopefully) Enormous Armor Thread!!!

jamie.goddenrwb17_ESO
Hi folks,

I am hoping that between the fine folk of the forums and the very helpful ZOS community management type people we can try to discern the intended direction of the armor roles in this game and where it is likely to go from here.

Right from the beginning I have been firmly in the camp of "any armor type should be able to fill any role". I have played a heavy armor, greatsword wielding bruiser with a basic heal spell in every single player TES game so far and would love to know that I can competitively play something similar in ESO....

...BUT, I understand the need to delicately balance skill lines in MMO's to appease different player types.

With this in mind, my favored method for the implementation of this type of system is to allow a player to spec into a particular role via skill points in armor passives (i.e. a choice between protective stats or various damage dealing passives in the heavy armor skill line).

This method has the advantage of allowing a player to fill any archetype they want (sneaky thief, heavy knight, spellsword etc) without being bound to a particular set of armor and without sacrificing the ability of theorycrafters to build the best spec you can.

My least favored but somewhat easiest option is to lock armor to role, forcing tanks into heavy armor, stamina dps into medium and casters into light or at least make combinations that are skewed in one direction.

Another option is to make armor passives weaker and rely on class/weapon lines to fulfill your chosen role. The problem with this method is that it trivializes armor skill lines and makes building a character far more bland and simplistic.

What I would really like to do with this thread is both stimulate community discussion on how they would like to see armor working overall and maybe, just maybe, convince one of the ZOS team to give us a peek into their vision for armor trees. I know early on the focus was very much on "play the way you want" and I realize that this isn't 100% realistic in an MMO environment however I would love to hear what the guys behind the scenes think!
I can has typing!
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    decided to search "Enormous Armor" on google.

the images range from medieval armor, to Naked CGI dudes, to outfits, tanks and other various vehciles, and one really weird looking bug...

sometimes its fun to see the varity you can pull up with the most innocent search terms.

130211_AF_GroundCrickets.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large.jpg
    I play every class in every situation. I love them all.
  • Crisscross
    Crisscross
    ✭✭✭
    Well guess who's skipping lunch.
  • jamie.goddenrwb17_ESO
    decided to search "Enormous Armor" on google.

the images range from medieval armor, to Naked CGI dudes, to outfits, tanks and other various vehciles, and one really weird looking bug...

sometimes its fun to see the varity you can pull up with the most innocent search terms.

That's pretty awesome. I want that armor in game...actually looks kinda like Falmer armor... ;)
    I can has typing!