The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crafted Sets Love Them, Then I Hate Them

Nestor
Nestor
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I am doing more and more crafted sets since I finally applied some discipline to my research activities and have at least 4 to 6 traits now across the LA, MA and the Weapons I use. HA is still deficient.

(A little back story, optional read) Prior to this, I would, and still do, make a set of Armor and weapons every 4 character levels. Improving this set to Green would keep me current on my armor/weapons for about 4 character levels as I would not find much better until about 4 levels later. Unless a Purple or Gold drop occurred. By the time 4 levels went buy I would have replenished my mats and tempers. So, I felt this was an efficient use of my mats and tempers.

I love the bonuses, and am looking forward to the new ones coming in 1.3. What I don't like is coming across an armor that is better than what I have and not being able to use it or I break the set bonus. Cool, new Shoes give me 20 more armor points, but I lose 78 Max Health if I take it. Or Health or Man Regen or whatever. So, now I just let the nice new pieces go to research or decon or the merchant and keep the Crafted Set until I am ready to replace it.

Does anyone else feel like they give up too much to have a Crafted (or Found) set of Armor or weapons in that they can't use the new armor or weapons that have been found? Or, are you like me, keep the crafted set until I can make a new crafted set and just not cry over the spilt milk?
Edited by Nestor on July 29, 2014 12:33AM
Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Weberda
    Weberda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The trick is to combine different sets (crafted and dropped) to get the bonuses that you want. This requires knowing enough traits to make the pieces that go along with the dropped set.
    Fernwood, EP Haderus NA
    Lo Behold, AD Thornblade NA (formerly Haderus, inactive)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The trick is to have the specific ones dropped that fit with the set that I have. Picking them out is easy once I have them.

I use a 5 piece set and a 3 piece set currently. Maybe once the 2, 3, 4 and 5 piece bonuses come out it will be easier to mix and match. Right now, I never find anything that is worth breaking the set over.

• eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Weberda wrote: »
    The trick is to combine different sets (crafted and dropped) to get the bonuses that you want. This requires knowing enough traits to make the pieces that go along with the dropped set.

That's going to become very difficult after the patch because many of the best effects will not be available with less than 5 pieces.
    :trollin:
  • Weberda
    Weberda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's going to become very difficult after the patch because many of the best effects will not be available with less than 5 pieces.[/quote]

Well until they actually release the new patch we won't be sure. I'm no longer very concerned because I go with 5pc Willow/ 5pc Soulshine now even on my sorc who finally surrendered his VR1 Warlock set at VR10.

Fernwood, EP Haderus NA
    Lo Behold, AD Thornblade NA (formerly Haderus, inactive)
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weberda wrote: »

That's going to become very difficult after the patch because many of the best effects will not be available with less than 5 pieces.

That has never been true and now we get to use 2 pieces for a useful set. That makes it much better as we can mix and match better. The 5 piece rewards are often just useless now.
    Edited by poodlemasterb16_ESO on July 28, 2014 9:12PM
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup ^

There will be plenty of people using 2's and 3's as set bonuses when 1.3 rolls in.

Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    What I don't like is coming across an armor that is better than what I have and not being able to use it or I break the set bonus. Cool, new Shoes give me 20 more armor points, but I lose 78 Max Health if I take it.

I solved this by sticking to one set, then crafting every piece of equipment to be a part of that set.

So right after crafting a medium armor set with two daggers, my set bonus would show '9/5'. This way i can replace 4 pieces in the future with better dropped ones without losing the set bonus.

The tradeoff is that you have to give up a minor second set bonus that you otherwise might have in addition to the main set.

• Isibis
    Isibis
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly I find it kind of freeing. I don't even look at the drops I get. If they are not worth putting on the store they all go to decon or the merchant.
  • AreoHotah
    AreoHotah
    ✭✭✭✭
    And since you cannot craft jewelry we will be forced to wear only 1 set completely wich i hate :(
    Hota'h, Dual-wield/bow full medium armor NB Khajiit from day 1.

https://imageshack.com/i/p2rF313Qj/b]
  • Kingcroft
    Kingcroft
    ✭✭
    Jewelry... I do wish you could either make it or buy it more readily, it would make enchanting more useful to have a predictable inflow of useable jewelry. I wish enchanting wasn't so difficult to level up.
  • Tatuaje
    Tatuaje
    ✭✭
    It has always been this way in games that use sets. Can you mix and match better than a crafted set. The only issue I currently have is the drops that are good enough to stand alone typically do not drop fast enough on level to warrant breaking up a set. At the VR level, it "seems" more of the better items are set items (non crafted), than better stand alone pieces, and trying to get the dropped sets on level pretty difficult before I level up.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kingcroft wrote: »
    Jewelry... I do wish you could either make it or buy it more readily, it would make enchanting more useful to have a predictable inflow of useable jewelry. I wish enchanting wasn't so difficult to level up.

Do we even get any experience for enchanting something? Not sure if we should as the skill level has no impact on what enchantments you can apply.

But, I do wish we could make jewelery, or at least always be able to replace the enchantment on the ones we do find.

• UPrime
    UPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    Difficult choices are the most interesting. And as more things get balanced hopefully there will be more difficult choices.
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If only there was a V12 Magicka Furnace set (5pc) that allowed you to also wear the V12 Warlock Set (5pc) but they have too many of the same slots over lapping.

When we have champion points instead, and everyone goes back to L50, I wonder what sets that are current V1+ which will be now L50. Maybe then, the Magicka Furnace set will be king again.
    Edited by Natjur on July 31, 2014 1:46AM
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 8 or 9 bits you can make. Dual Wield and Sword&Board are the 9 bit possibilities.

So you can put any combination of sets on a char that you like inside the 3 and 5 piece restriction. Now we have 2 piece sets coming. We are definitely better off with the new stuff.

I have a lot of traits. I can make 6 trait sets and 5 trait sets easily and I have fought to get what I want from what is available. Both my Blacksmith and Clothier get to the entire 1 - 50 map and my Clothier can get further. It is possible to get 3 3 piece sets on some chars and that So with all the stations available up to 6 traits I have to work hard to get my sets how I want them. I will be very happy to see this made easier.
    Kingcroft wrote: »

I have more rings than I can enchant. They drop pretty often, and of course you can buy them.
  • indigoblades
    indigoblades
    ✭✭✭
    i used to wear all set bonus but found i spend either too much money repairing or too much time replacing them. Now i have few golden sets that have all 8 (9) traits but i only wear them if i have the rare tough fight. But i mostly wear my ruin set. It has blue chest and pants with golden enchants in my faverite matched set. matched with weapon i get the 3 set bonus. the rest i replace with any pickup. so now i only repair the two pieces replace the rest.

I don't know why the made matched sets bound when u wear them either that frustrates me.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been furiously Researching for the past week, I was just grabbing traits I cared about before and not bothering with one I would never use. I have my MA and LA all up to 5 traits, some at 6. My HA is still at 3 on some but 4 or 5 on others.

Can't wait to see how the new 2 and 3 piece bonuses work out. It would be easier to pick up something and use it. In fact, I may just craft 2 and 3 piece sets from here on out just so I can use dropped loot and only have to craft one item if I want to keep a set bonus.

• GnatB
    GnatB
    ✭✭✭✭
    From what I've seen, with the scaling, low end only the 5 set bonuses are really worth much. According to Dulfy, from what I could tell, some of the bonuses don't even exist until at least the lvl 16 stuff. High end, reading posts like this, it seems much the reverse.

I strongly suspect I'll end up going 5/3 or 5/2/2 on most of my characters for the near future. (My highest lvl is 18)
    Achievements Suck
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GnatB wrote: »
    According to Dulfy, from what I could tell, some of the bonuses don't even exist until at least the lvl 16 stuff.

I think the sets have always had level scaling so that a high level character would not be able to make an uber set for a low level character.

• GnatB
    GnatB
    ✭✭✭✭
    According to Dulfy, from what I could tell, some of the bonuses don't even exist until at least the lvl 16 stuff.

I think the sets have always had level scaling so that a high level character would not be able to make an uber set for a low level character.

IIRC the 3 set bonus didn't use to scale (much) but the 5 set one did.

i.e. IIRC the 3 piece bonus for Torug's was 100. period. (which pretty much every single one of my characters had).

When I get home from work I'm going to have to take quite some time planning my new gear. (and probably finding *where* crafting stations are. While it happens all my equipment crafters are AD, only one is past Auridon, and that one only *just* finished.

Achievements Suck
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

IIRC the 3 set bonus didn't use to scale (much) but the 5 set one did.

i.e. IIRC the 3 piece bonus for Torug's was 100. period.

I did not mean that the bonuses scaled, but that you just can't make a low level set from a station that requires a bunch of Traits. For example, make a set of armor that requires 5 traits to be learned for a level 4 character. I have not tried, it was just something I read somewhere. I may have to test this later on.

• Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am doing more and more crafted sets since I finally applied some discipline to my research activities and have at least 4 to 6 traits now across the LA, MA and the Weapons I use. HA is still deficient.

(A little back story, optional read) Prior to this, I would, and still do, make a set of Armor and weapons every 4 character levels. Improving this set to Green would keep me current on my armor/weapons for about 4 character levels as I would not find much better until about 4 levels later. Unless a Purple or Gold drop occurred. By the time 4 levels went buy I would have replenished my mats and tempers. So, I felt this was an efficient use of my mats and tempers.

I love the bonuses, and am looking forward to the new ones coming in 1.3. What I don't like is coming across an armor that is better than what I have and not being able to use it or I break the set bonus. Cool, new Shoes give me 20 more armor points, but I lose 78 Max Health if I take it. Or Health or Man Regen or whatever. So, now I just let the nice new pieces go to research or decon or the merchant and keep the Crafted Set until I am ready to replace it.

Does anyone else feel like they give up too much to have a Crafted (or Found) set of Armor or weapons in that they can't use the new armor or weapons that have been found? Or, are you like me, keep the crafted set until I can make a new crafted set and just not cry over the spilt milk?

With the new changes to the crafted sets (especially Vampire's Kiss) they're now largely useless. I used combined 3 and 5 sets that procd very nicely in combat, for each of my mains. Now the 3 sets don't any more, they're just buffs. So I have to re-think all of my character's armor and will probably have to rethink my passives & respec.

Thanks, ZOS.
  • reagen_lionel
    reagen_lionel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I personally hate the new change to sets.

I used two sets Ashen grip and Shadow set and now they both cant work. The old way the sets work allowed more freedom in my opinion.

I am displeased with these changes to these sets, for many have been rendered useless to me, and ones I would have thought about using before, I wont even give them any mind or thought in it now.

So they just pretty much artificially cast out people even trying any new sets. The old way allowed for more experimentation.

The main effect of the set should have a minimum, and additional peices should provide bonuses, like how they were before. That allowed for more freedom and experimentation.
    Edited by reagen_lionel on August 5, 2014 6:36PM
  • indigoblades
    indigoblades
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure if like them or dont like them.

Now, For just questing around i wear a 5 willow match blue armor and purple willow weapons. i have sets i don't want repair with all purple at level but i see only minor improvements so i just wear pickups in my head, waist and gloves spot. For a while i was using pickups for my boots and shoulder spot but made good blue willow armor but that was not for the match, it was because most of the pickups i found where medium not light.

I am a bit disappointed MASTER crafting armor weapons is so unimportant. The ability craft weapons and armor above the beginner level is important tho (research 3 traits and make weaps/arm at ur level). You can be at this level in research easily and if u occasionally deconstructed and used a just few skill points u can be an adequate craftier.

i hadn't made any major new armor in months since it helps so little. i use mainly pickup and since they nerfed the VR zones i really don't need them. Does anyone know if the 8 trait sets are better. With the old sets i saw so little if any improvement for 8 traits i had't bother to craft any and try them.

At this time i either know or my alts know 100% traits in clothing/armor/weapons important to me. Things of 2nd'ary importance to me i know 95% (med armor and heavy weapons). Maces and hammers and axes are not important to me because i can use a great sword or sword or dagger. I can make a 3 peice match on 8 traits now and in couple of weeks i can wear/use all 8 traits armor and weapons. Again the bonus seem so small it seems like a complete waste of time all the time i spent researching them.

Edited by indigoblades on August 6, 2014 12:57PM
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm running 3 sets since the change. 3 Night Mother, 3 Song of Lamae and 2 Torug's Pact. A nice set of buffs.

Don't be foolish, break everything down, picking and choosing will never get you high trait sets. I have 2 things with 8 traits now and several ready to go to 8 traits as research allows.
    Edited by poodlemasterb16_ESO on August 7, 2014 7:57PM