The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

New to MMO's

madMARTYNmarsh
madMARTYNmarsh
Soul Shriven
Hi all,

I'm new to MMO's, never played one. In fact I am new to pc gaming, I have played Skyrim and Oblivion which is why I purchased ESO but I played those games on xbox.
I now find myself completely lost when I attempt to play ESO, all the buttons make my brain boil in my skull. Is there anything I can do to make my life easier? Could I use my xbox 360/xbox one controller to play ESO?

Is there a place I can go to find general tips on playing ESO as just reading through these forums throws up a lot of differences to say skyrim that I wasn't prepared for.

How does the game time work? I have 80 something days, will it go down day by day or will days only count if I login to the game? I don't want my days to be used up if I'm not playing the game.

Any other general advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.
  • drkeys143
    drkeys143
    ✭✭✭
    I play everything on PC, although I am not a great fan of WASD mashing on the keyboard. I use a Razer Nostromo Gaming Keypad, it has mappable keys and also has a D-Pad on the side for added ease of movement.

I map the walk/run keys to buttons on the pad, and also all the skills 1-5 and Ultimate, in fact most of the keybinds in the game are mapped to a button on the pad, does make things a lot easier, although some die hard gamers may sneer at it, i dont care :) At the end of the day, it is still pressing buttons to achieve the result, just that the buttons feel more under my fingers than a PC keyboard.

You could try something like that?
  • Cabot
    Cabot
    ✭✭✭
    You subscription will go down daily, (real time, not game time). So, in 80 something days, your subscription will be renewed or you can cancel.

There have been some conversations regarding cancelling the subscription then buying game time with game cards, or paypal. I'm not sure how that works but it is away around the auto-renewal situation.
  • madMARTYNmarsh
    madMARTYNmarsh
    Soul Shriven
    Well thank you both for replying to me, you have been very helpful.

Drkeys143... I will definitely look into this, I currently have a Razer Mamba but it doesn't have many mappable buttons so I will look into a mouse similar to yours.

Caboot... I am currently using pay as I go cards that I purchase from Game as I am adverse to having my credit card linked to anything at all after the auto renew trouble I had with xbox live.
    It is a huge shame that the game time goes down regardless of wether I play or not, I don't think it is fair that they take my game time which = my money when I am not using there services.

I think I will really need to love ESO to make me buy more game time.
  • Exarch
    Exarch
    ✭✭✭
    Am MMO subscription is generally like a 24-hour gym membership; you can go whenever you want, but you get charged for the month whether you go or not.
  • drkeys143
    drkeys143
    ✭✭✭
    You are welcome! Just as an update to my post, I dont think they actually do the Nostromo anymore, I think if I'm right, the Tartarus and the OrbWeaver are the updated versions of the Nostromo, but are very similar in design, but Im sure you can still purchase the Nostromo as well. Or I may be talking absolute rubbish lol I am sure someone will put me right!
  • madMARTYNmarsh
    madMARTYNmarsh
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you all very much for your time, I appreciate it.
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a couple of software solutions that will let you use your xbox controller with PC. But since I've never really used any of those, I cannot give you much of an insight, but just that one of those is called XPadder.

There's more and maybe someone more versed can chime in or you just try working from there yourself and see where it leads.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • AreoHotah
    AreoHotah
    ✭✭✭✭
    Marty is also coming to Xbox in case you didnt knew.
    Hota'h, Dual-wield/bow full medium armor NB Khajiit from day 1.

https://imageshack.com/i/p2rF313Qj/b]
  • madMARTYNmarsh
    madMARTYNmarsh
    Soul Shriven
    I've just spent a few hours trying to get xpadder to work with elderscrolls online with no joy.
    It appears that I am to lose the money I have spent on this game just because Bethesda couldn't be bothered to allow controller compatibility even though they are making a console version!
    Edited by madMARTYNmarsh on July 16, 2014 6:04PM
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just spent a few hours trying to get xpadder to work with elderscrolls online with no joy.
    It appears that I am to lose the money I have spent on this game just because Bethesda couldn't be bothered to allow controller compatibility even though they are making a console version!
    It isn't Bethesda's fault that you didn't check supported input devices before buying the game. Controller support for PC versions of games is expected, but never guaranteed.

If Xpadder doesn't work for you, you can always learn to play with mouse & keyboard. Luckily, ESO control scheme isn't too complicated, what with only 6 skills on hotbar and one quickslot. You have 80 days, it would be a shame to let them go to waste. Give yourself some time to try to get used to M&K.
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be there's some custom driver to get things running. Think they have a board over at XPadder and you'll have a much better chance at getting help there.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • drkeys143
    drkeys143
    ✭✭✭
    Check out the esoui addons, I'm sure I have seen an add there for xpadder
  • Sherrieg
    Sherrieg
    ✭✭
    If you are patience you can learn and love the mouse key pad option. It just takes time and practice, and it is worth it. I am a long time single Elder Scrolls player and was determined to master this (I am a Vet 6 now). At the beginning it is frustrating - just take your time and it will come to you; it is such a fun game.

- If you find you need assistance on how to do things join a beginner/helpful guild. You can ask and get answers to questions on anything. Also, this forum can be a big help.

Don't give up - it is worth the effort.
  • LunaRae
    LunaRae
    ✭✭✭✭
    You purchased a lot of game time without knowing whether or not you'd like MMO's? Seems like a big risk. Thankfully everyone on these forums are nice and always willing to give a new player a hand.

Here's a tips n tricks http://ca.ign.com/wikis/elder-scrolls-online/Tips_and_Tricks_for_New_Players

Currently there is no built in support for xbox controller; HOWEVER, you can set this up yourself. You can try following the vid instructions for using xpadder http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJUuZcO2ywI

Game time is real life time, meaning you have 80 real life days that count down every second regardless of whether or not you're playing the game (same with every other MMO)

General keyboard tips for playing

WASD for movement
    Double tap WASD in succession (W W in example) will dodge roll in that direction
    Ctrl key to crouch (hide)
    Left mouse click for light attack, hold left mouse down for heavy attack
    Right-click (hold) to block (uses stamina for each blocked attack)
    Read monster queues (i.e. if you block an enemies heavy attack you can hit them with a heavy attack back to knock them over)
    'E' to interact with objects, open doors, etc...
    Space bar to jump
    Hold shift to sprint (can't use abilities or attack while sprinting)
    'Q' to use quick slot items, such as potions. These are configured by pressing 'I' in your inventory, then click on the arrow at the top right.
    'I' for inventory (also used to equip gear)
    'J' for quests (journal) & achievements
    'M' for map
    'P' for party (group)
    'O' for contacts (friends list)
    'K' for abilities
    'C' for character sheet

If I missed something or you've got other questions let us know.
    Stands-Strong-As-Snow ~ Argonian Templar DC NA V14
    Ytheri ~ Argonian Nightblade EP Thornblade NA V14
    Heals-All-Colours ~ Argonian Templar EP Thornblade NA V14
    Stands-In-Still-Waters~ Argonian Sorcerer EP Thornblade NA V2
  • StaticWax
    StaticWax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Native controller support for PC is coming. They haven't said exactly when but it's on its way.
    I wish nothing but joy for everyone.
  • Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can also use an Xbox One Controller with the PC soon. I remember reading an article about support being added to use it with a PC. As for then getting it work with ESO I would try Xpadder or look for an add-on as others above have suggested.
    I don't always drink Skooma, but when I do I go to the Southwall Corner Club. May you walk on warm sands my friends.
  • Liquid_Time
    Liquid_Time
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy to see the support being thrown at a new player. I wish I could add something further, but it appears everything has been covered. Hope you enjoy the game! :smile:
    ¸.•¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•`
    Liquid_Time'*-.¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-•-.¸_¸.-••¤
    ╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
       IGN: Liquid Past || Rank: V14 || Class: Nightblade || World Skill: Vampire
    ╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
  • boogie95
    boogie95
    ✭✭✭
    There's a couple of software solutions that will let you use your xbox controller with PC. But since I've never really used any of those, I cannot give you much of an insight, but just that one of those is called XPadder.

There's more and maybe someone more versed can chime in or you just try working from there yourself and see where it leads.

i to use a xbox controller just get x padder and either map the buttons your self or use Google and download a profile
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    boogie95 wrote: »

i to use a xbox controller just get x padder and either map the buttons your self or use Google and download a profile

You can get profiles from the XPaddr website xpadder.com/, and there's also Pinnacle Game Profiler pinnaclegameprofiler.com/, which probably has the best support. They're both "free" if you want to roll your own, but for a nominal fee you get access to their profile library.

Once you realize how complex mapping the ESO UI onto a controller is, you'll probably agree that you need to be an expert with these programs to do that yourself. It's not just button-mapping. Most of the adaptations use one or two buttons as shift or mode keys, which allows multiple uses for each button. Not only is it not obvious how to do this with the software, there's a learning curve for playing the game with a controller.

I tried it for a while, then went back to keyboard/mouse. I just find accurately targeting too dicey with a controller, and I REALLY don't like auto-target. For people who are used to gaming with a controller, it may not be all that much of a problem.

The only controller I actually like to use is a steering wheel... ;-)
    Edited by Srugzal on July 26, 2014 5:16PM