The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO Economy

TonyCawk
TonyCawk
Soul Shriven
Hello all!
I was just wondering how other players learn how much items are worth.
This is more difficult without an auction house were I could compare prices. I can learn about some items through zone chats, but when it comes to a few purples I've picked up along the way..I don't have the slightest clue how much I should be charging for them. Any tips you guys could give me would be much appreciated, thanks. :D
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one reason crafters and the like don't want a real AH, they wouldn't be able to price-gouge like they can do now.
  • TonyCawk
    TonyCawk
    Soul Shriven
    This is one reason crafters and the like don't want a real AH, they wouldn't be able to price-gouge like they can do now.

Well, how do you determine how much you're going to sell an Item for?
  • Ninnghizhidda
    Ninnghizhidda
    ✭✭✭✭
    What economy?
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TonyCawk wrote: »

Well, how do you determine how much you're going to sell an Item for?
    You can't, that's what this fragmented economy causes, you have to take a guess.
  • emeraldbay
    emeraldbay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the free market much better than having an auction house where everyone drops their price to compete with others, which would eventually result in things being dirt cheap and not even worth selling really. Crafters won't want to sell things they craft because they won't get jack for it, take crafters out of the economy and we only have resource and motif farmers. Sooner or later, it'll get to a point where resource prices are so low that you might as well just vendor them instead of go through the trouble to put them up for sale.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, not having an auction house gives people the freedom to name their own prices and actually have a chance at selling things at more than they're worth. It's a free market, and it's more realistic and fits in better with the Elder Scrolls feel.

On the topic of OP's question, generally you find out what things are worth by listening to zone chat or checking around trading guilds. It's all about getting a feel for what other people want, and adjusting your selling / buying prices accordingly.
  • TonyCawk
    TonyCawk
    Soul Shriven
    emeraldbay wrote: »
    I like the free market much better than having an auction house where everyone drops their price to compete with others, which would eventually result in things being dirt cheap and not even worth selling really. Crafters won't want to sell things they craft because they won't get jack for it, take crafters out of the economy and we only have resource and motif farmers. Sooner or later, it'll get to a point where resource prices are so low that you might as well just vendor them instead of go through the trouble to put them up for sale.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, not having an auction house gives people the freedom to name their own prices and actually have a chance at selling things at more than they're worth. It's a free market, and it's more realistic and fits in better with the Elder Scrolls feel.

On the topic of OP's question, generally you find out what things are worth by listening to zone chat or checking around trading guilds. It's all about getting a feel for what other people want, and adjusting your selling / buying prices accordingly.

I definitely like the idea of not having an auction house, it never the less makes it more difficult for new players starting out.

I'll try to find a good trading guild and wing it, thank you for the advice.

• annarr1117nub18_ESO
    "None" of the current mainstream MMORPGs are perfect folks, the perfect mature rated medieval fantasy genre MMORPG may not be released until the year (2017) or later.
    Edited by annarr1117nub18_ESO on July 11, 2014 10:36PM
  • pierceoftheender
    What ive picked up over the 2 months ive been playing is
    1. ask the forums
    2. look at the chat constantly to see what items are going for
    3. (probably the worst) ask in chat
    4. (probably the best)see what things are going for in the guild store. and if you cant find one look at the weekly featured guilds
    A horse walked into a bar. Several people got up and left as they spotted the potential danger in the situation.