Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

To Walk on Far Shores - is this for real?

jdandrews108b14_ESO
so for the past week, yes week, I have been stuck on this quest and have given up almost all hope of ever figuring out what I am supposed to do to beat this.

The end of the quest, kill Septima Tharn, is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in an MMO.
First time I tried to even take her on, the quest bugged and instead of her teleporting (which I didn't know she did at the time) just simply became invulnerable and refused to fight. Whenever this happens, as it now happens on every other attempt, I need a full close from my client in order to reset the phase so I can try again.

But when I do get her to summon her ARMY of monsters, I can't for the life of me take on that many mobs at once.

I play a Nightblade and my main build I have used throughout the entire game was a full leather with head and arms/boots (one or the other) in light armor for magicka regen, and dual wield daggers. Nothing stood a chance against me. 3+ mobs definitely take a while longer but never did I fear dying.
When things didn't always go the way I wanted it too (rarely) I used a cheap resto/volcano rune build that let me juggle mobs endless while I heal through ranged attacks.

Neither of these builds work at all as my main build usually gets 1 of the 3 that pull down before another 3 will pull and I'm already dealing with too much.
There might have been a nerf to volcano rune I'm not aware of but it now will only launch 2 of the pulled mobs and seems to aggro even more when I have not touched the groups standing in back.

Not to mention the fact that each of the hits are doing around 250 damage, which without healing (or my 30 sec cd for pots) I go down pretty fast.

Today my approach was to sit awhile in zone chat and without trying to spam, ask if anyone was willing to help me finish it. Alas, it seems as though there was no one online for a solid 2 hours as the zone was silent.
I am now in the zone to fight her repeating to take on this army with a character that in my mind is mainly based around single target damage (and has done great in every situation until now).

I am now on the forums to ask if there is some gimmick that can help with clearing this quest, as I already hate the fact that I'm saving the enemy faction's King and I just want to move on and get to more of this game.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't that a solo quest, anyhow?

If I recall, there's a few statues you can use there to LOS the undead archers.

And move when she teleports up to summon her adds. They'll come a group at a time, which is a little more manageable...
  • jdandrews108b14_ESO
    I am fully willing to take a video next time and prove that they do not come one group at a time and will come at timed intervals.
    I have even moved off the platform to the far edge as to only agro one group at a time, but I don't even get a chance to prepare to pull, once they march forward the first group will rush me and about 20 secs later a second group will follow, etc..

As for line of sighting, I have tried repeatedly to LoS as I would in other games such as WoW or Rift, which simply require you to move behind a pillar and the mob will move up to you to see you.
    They don't see to do that here as my death recap (and the animations in the game clearly firing arrows through the pillar.
    What made them manageable before was that they would eventually pause to do some aoe attack, which I could burst down his friend.
    These archers do not seem to do that, and with 3 auto attacks my health is already half gone.
  • jdandrews108b14_ESO
    So with failing to have my OpenBroadcast ready to go, I logged in to find a single templar running around the ruins, who after talking a bit explains he is stuck with the exact same complaints. We quickly grouped up and were able to complete it together.

However, just as I stated above, the mobs pulled 5 at a time with 2 people (might be intentional) but another would pull before we had the chance to down any of the mobs.

It seemed to be non-sensible to the order they pulled too, as one group was entirely archers and WOULD NOT line of sight us with the pillars. After firing a single shot through the pillar they would just stand in place while the rest of the mobs rushed us.

I submitted a feedback ticket on this quest as it was atrociously ranked on the "fun scale".

Do not take this quest on without a partner.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was one quest I didn't have much problems with and I use duel daggers. When she would disappear I would run across the water to a little open area where I could back up if I needed. The mob instead of coming straight across the water takes a long route around. In my fight they came basically four at a time. That doesn't mean that one group would wait until the other died before advancing. They did though have enough delay that I could get ready for the next attack.
    When they got close I would pull one to me, kill it quick back up if I needed and pull another to me. By the time I had him dead the other two would be on me and the next group of four would be crossing the water. I could handle the two and then go forward to meet the next group and do the same thing. You can get a decent little break between some of the groups. With the archers you gotta hurry a bit more.
    Once I got my rhythm going the fight actually became one of the more fun fights I've had in the game. Was just a constant line of things to kill that were spread just enough to keep me busy but not overwhelmed.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • silent_banshee
    I've tried all of the solutions outlined above (dual wield nightblade here) and no joy. I either get swarmed, or Septima's health will simply return to 100% every time she returns to the courtyard. I'll keep trying to find someone to group with I guess but this quest has killed a lot of my enthusiasm for this game.
  • Runefell
    Runefell
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hm, I'm curious to get to this on my second character, to see if it's changed much. I don't remember having much trouble at all with my khajiit when I did it a few months back, yet I'm seeing quite a few posts about it. I wonder if it's bugged or something.
    Rune Fell- Dunmer Mag Sorcerer (DC)~The Adventurer
    Runed Claws- Khajiit Stam Dragonknight (DC) ~The Tank
    Rain Fell- Argonian Mag Templar (EP)~ The Healer
    Dragon Talon- Bosmer Stam Nightblade (AD) ~ The DPS

• Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AoE OP. Use it. Power extraction/Sap essence, paired with rapid regenand immovable fits just fine. I had 0 problems with this fight on my templar and steamrolled through it.
  • Runefell
    Runefell
    ✭✭✭✭
    Runefell wrote: »
    Hm, I'm curious to get to this on my second character, to see if it's changed much. I don't remember having much trouble at all with my khajiit when I did it a few months back, yet I'm seeing quite a few posts about it. I wonder if it's bugged or something.

Okay, so I did get to that point of the story with my second character. And it still wasn't terribly hard. In fact, now I'm wondering if she got nerfed since the last patch, as I had a MUCH easier time then when I ran it with my magic user. Granted, I'm a DK, and maybe that has something to do with it, but I mostly used my duel-wield/bow skills, not the class skills, so it shouldn't have made too much of a difference. I'm also mostly medium armor with a few heavy thrown in, and a werewolf, if that makes any difference. Though I didn't nom her face off.

As others have said, spam AOE's, and spam them a lot when the soldiers swarm you. There's a lot of them, and they can overwhelm you, I suppose, but they can't hurt you if they're dead, and they don't have much health, so they die fast. They goal is to kill as many as fast as you can. I used Whirlwind, and it worked quite well. Then I just switched to my bow and danced around Tharn until she either wussed out and called in more troops, or died.

Rune Fell- Dunmer Mag Sorcerer (DC)~The Adventurer
    Runed Claws- Khajiit Stam Dragonknight (DC) ~The Tank
    Rain Fell- Argonian Mag Templar (EP)~ The Healer
    Dragon Talon- Bosmer Stam Nightblade (AD) ~ The DPS

• Zhoyzu
    Zhoyzu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im actually stuck where i cant even get that quest. the game completely bugge dout as soon as septima stabbed the king (woohoo!) and then teleported into the sky. well i couldnt follow her. it simply does not work. i abandoned quest. it wont restart.

Now im stuck with the last step of cadwells silver. and as a night blade i have nothing to look forward to in the rest of the quest if its as you describe.
    Zhoyzu - Nightblade Alchemist (v15) RETIRED
    Has-No-Heart - Templar Enchanter (v4) FUBAR
    Ambadassador - Dragon knight (v1) Naked with no future (returned from the naked realm to tank PvE)
    Sakis Tolis - Sorceror (v10 in progress) Living Legend!

Xuhl'Xotuun - Warden Current Main as im starting the game over essentially with this character aside from crafting.

Creator of Khajiit fall dmg reduction racial passive concept.

• Zhoyzu
    Zhoyzu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey man dawn breaker alone will wipe the wave of enemies to the point where one whirlwind from DW will wipe them out. For Septima i think you got that handled.

i also took killers blade on my DW bar so i had a heal and i used haste for stam regen. i had no problem with the wave of enemies even both groups at once.
    Ambadassador - Dragon knight (v1) Naked with no future (returned from the naked realm to tank PvE)

Xuhl'Xotuun - Warden Current Main as im starting the game over essentially with this character aside from crafting.

• Zhoyzu
    Zhoyzu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so i just looked at the time stamps....... lol'd