The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dark age of Elder Scrolls

Blackwidow
Blackwidow
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
When Bethesda decided to hand this game over to their sister company, knowing so many of them came from making Dark age of Camelot, they should have put in a stipulation.

Don't make ESO into DAoC 2.

I really like DAoC, but it is a far cry from what TES is all about.

DAoC/ESO keeps races split into three factions, all at war.
TES has all the races not liking each other, but we are all mixed together.

DAoC/ESO has all the racial combat in one zone.
TES has racial combat around every corner.

DAoC keeps you from exploring the other realms. ESO let's you explore the other realms after you are 50, but still keeps you from seeing the other people.
TES wants you to have an open world to explore. They want you to pick a direction and just go.

DAoC is about faction pride. ESO was about that, but now it is not even that.
TES is about pride in yourself and having fun getting to know all the cultures, good or bad.

I think the biggest mistake was basing this game on DAoC instead of TES.

Have a nice day.
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like the game. I'd love it if not for the numerous bugs and technical issues.

That said, a true TES MMO would have been better. By that I of course mean open world, not leveled zones, and true player freedom, not developer guided content.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Mablung
    Mablung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often wonder if Matt Firor or Paul Sage ever played an Elder Scrolls game.
  • rich_nicholsonb16_ESO
    If they took all the best bits out of Daoc this game would be great but i would say they have mainly copied GW2 and that game was well....crap.
    Patch 1.2.3 nerfed the game....
    Zergballing wrecked pvp......

Now waiting for Camelot Unchained!!
  • R1ckyDaMan
    R1ckyDaMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP sums up some of main annoyances with this game, having played TES games from marrowind to skyrim I have to say this feels nothing like any of them.

Some people argue that there have been TES side games that have not been like the main games, IMO they cannot of been that popular as I have never heard of any of them IMO of course.

the lore is here, the names of locations are here, but then it stops.
  • WebBull
    WebBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a far cry fro DAoC. DAoC was way better than this.
  • rekina
    rekina
    ✭✭✭
    DAoC >>>> ESO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> All TES combined
    Edited by rekina on June 30, 2014 11:12PM
  • coryevans_3b14_ESO
    coryevans_3b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rekina wrote: »
    DAoC >>>> ESO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> All TES combined

Not really.
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never played DAoc but it's pretty obvious they just used some MMO template and then applied Elder Scrolls races and lore. Isn't this whole Cyrodiil capture the keep a Daoc thing? They also made up these classes. There was never a Dragonknight or Templar class in Elder Scrolls...
    Edited by Enkil on July 1, 2014 1:41AM
  • joshisanonymous
    joshisanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suppose. I never would've played this game if it didn't have so much in common with DAoC PvP-wise, though. But I do think it might've made more sense from the TES perspective if it was a pure sandbox MMO.
    Fedrals / EP / Dunmer Nightblade