The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Make Daedric Armor Look Daedric?

Malpherian
Malpherian
✭✭✭✭✭
From ES game to ES there has always been a massive improvement int he looks and quality of this special set of armor. Yet in ESO it seems they took 30 steps back, having the armor created not look like Daedric at all.

The colors are different because this game is about Molag Bal, not Mehrunes Dagon, although both are featured in this game continuously, so there should be Both set colors. Each Daedric Princes Dremora where different colors for the Most part, Sheogoraths for those of you that remember Shivering Isles in Oblivion, were Black and Merune/Brown Rather then Black and Red like Dagons Dremora, and Molag Balls are Blue and Black, While Azuras are Black and Silver.

But beyond this, the point of this thread is to force the Devs to either:

A. Respond as to why they chose to make such a legendary and historical armor look "Un-Daedric". And why their Cinematic show actual Daedric Armor, but the Ing game armor is something entirely different

B. Fix the Armor so it is more in line with the Daedric Concept shown in the Cinematic.

C. Change the current Motif in game to "Dremora". And then release the actual "Daedric" armor later.
Edited by Malpherian on June 30, 2014 10:02PM

Make Daedric Armor Look Daedric? 109 votes

Yes - Scrap this Piece of Crap and give us Real Daedric Lore Armor.
91%
firekittenGwarokfastolfv_ESOwakawakazach_ESOFat_Cat45Gilvothjazon1972_ESORoyMallisGreybarrenOmegaSevenMalpherianJade_Knightblazerb14_ESOmqlaurenceb14_ESOCinnamon_Spiderchris.cronauerb16_ESOkontaktb16_ESO48sirjohndeluxeb16_ESOBlooddancercluelessVegaroth 100 votes
No - I love it the way it is
8%
AlephenEthariansungodapollo976_ESOBugCollectorMoxanSir_HyperionLord_Hevboomerfan2005Cracklepop 9 votes
  • The_Death_Princess
    The_Death_Princess
    ✭✭✭
    Hehe love polls that lock you into extreme point A or B.

My vote is somewhere in the middle, I think the look is fine, especially per se in early gen vs. more detailed Skyrim.

BUT, Ancient Elves.... which is Ancient.... WTH happen to the nice glass looks of Skyrim. This gear as a whole is foogli and needs redone. ;)
    Astaria Dødfurstinna
    Official Hunter Community Lead DAOC
    (Pendragon Beta through Catacombs release)
    Look at this but dont QQ: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/hfxYcf
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't like the overall look of Daedric armor in ESO and the mage's bound Daedric armor in silver with black leather under suit looks like a cylon variation with a bug head theme. Yeah I get that they incorporated the Oblivion shoulders into the armor but still that single item doesn't really help. Daedric should be menacing and dark...threatening...something to instill fear in enemies but the ESO Daedric armor just looks bland and generic. If they would revamp it more like the cinematic trailer armor I'd happily buy the Daedric motif book but as is its the last motif book I need and I'm in no rush to get it.

DaedricArmorComparison_zps661eecac.jpg

"Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I want an all redish like color, like in skyrims set(if its not red forgive me, I am colorblind:/) I like the look it has now, but I was expecting more to be honest. though I think the helmet(medium armor) looks like total crap. it does not look menacing, it looks odd and hilarious:/
  • Malpherian
    Malpherian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the resounding vote so far is to at minimum, Redisign the thing to where it looks more like an Armor set and less of a childish coloring book drawing.
  • mqlaurenceb14_ESO
    mqlaurenceb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    If it's an Epic Motif, gotta make it EPIC looking...just sayin'
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should just remake it to appear like the cinematic trailer (as close as they can ofc) then once Dyes are added it'll be very nice indeed.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no, they should make it to look like it looked in morrowind. then it would look nice and look awesome.
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    I chose option 3, none of the above...

Morrowind and Skyrim have not yet happened, and will not for a thousand years, by then, the Daedric armor style may have changed.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • Enjinir
    Enjinir
    ✭✭✭
    I think the armor set looks good, but it definitely is NOTHING like the Daedric we've been made to be used to. It would be fine under a different name, and then replace this with a more classic Daedric. That would be my suggestion.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Enjinir wrote: »
    I think the armor set looks good, but it definitely is NOTHING like the Daedric we've been made to be used to. It would be fine under a different name, and then replace this with a more classic Daedric. That would be my suggestion.

There is no classic Daedric look, it has changed with every game.

The Morrowind Daedric Armour look like this but without the spikes (oh and it was red).
    The Oblivion Daedric Armour looked like rusty Armour with Spikes.
    The Skyrim Armour look while good was new to Skyrim.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • shadowz081
    shadowz081
    ✭✭✭
    How about a 'sub-section' of daedric armor as well which has affiliations with each of the different princes in oblivion, along with a revamped 'general' version as well.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am somewhere in between.

I think a blue accented Daedric armor could be very cool. It does fit in with the icy Coldharbour theme. But I don't find the current style very dramatic. It is a little black, a little blue, and a lot of bland gray. Maybe armor dyes next month will make a big difference. But I think it needs to be more intimidating. Blacker blacks, bluer blues.
  • Enjinir
    Enjinir
    ✭✭✭
    I've got to disagree with you, as in my opinion, there has been a consistent/classic Daedric "style" throughout the games, as seen in:

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3bzypXsqw1r4tywno1_500.jpg

The newest iteration (ESO) has a completely different feel and/or theme if you will. The older iterations, while varying a tiny bit to respect the lore of the current era/story, have MANY similarities: Dark, Organic, Mystical, Jagged, Detailed.

This new version is none of these. It's far more ornate, regal and plated, and stands out as far more shiny and plated. Also, blue is a whole different color scheme compared with the historical brown/red/black organic overtones.
  • Vraneon
    Vraneon
    ✭✭✭

The Morrowind Daedric Armour look like this but without the spikes (oh and it was red).

I hate when people refer to morrowind or/and talk about the look of daedric armour there, when they obviously never have played the game or even if never got to see a piece of the actual daedric player armour.

And yes there is a classic daedric look. The main indicator for daedric armour are the black and red colouring, lots of spikey parts and covering the full(!) body with plates and heavy metal/chitin/whatever the substance is.

Definately not blue-silver colouring or blue-golden or totally gray, semi-covering, quite reflective plates.

Also saying something like skyrim and other games are to come, is stupid when they show in the cinematic exactly the style of skyrim daedric armour and the actual ingame daedric armour looks nothing like the one in the games before.
    Edited by Vraneon on July 3, 2014 5:26PM
  • ArcVelarian
    ArcVelarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give us the armor from the trailer and not whatever that heck that is in game.
    Murphy's Law of PvP : If it can be abused and or exploited, it will be abused and or exploited.
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If I recall, in Daggerfall it was a terrible Orange color.
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vraneon wrote: »

I hate when people refer to morrowind or/and talk about the look of daedric armour there, when they obviously never have played the game or even if never got to see a piece of the actual daedric player armour.

And yes there is a classic daedric look. The main indicator for daedric armour are the black and red colouring, lots of spikey parts and covering the full(!) body with plates and heavy metal/chitin/whatever the substance is.

I did play Morrowind, just didn't get far into it. I didn't see the Daedric Armour from it, but have seen pictures.

Oblivion Daedric Armour was not black or red, it was a horrible rusty colour. This belies your statement about their being a classic look.

If I recall, in Daggerfall it was a terrible Orange color.

Thanks, yet another Daedric look.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Auralia
    Auralia
    ✭✭✭
    Daedric armor should look ominous and fearsome, instead it looks silly and laughable.
  • BrassRazoo
    BrassRazoo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The entire appearance, costumes and looks per level (quality) of gear needs an entire overhaul.

• Brizz
    Brizz
    ✭✭✭✭
    The community has spoken! Any hopes of getting your art team working on this?

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_AmeliaR @ZOS_TristanK @ZOS_JasonL
    :.,_,.:*"'"*:.,_,.:*"'"* Guild of Shadows *"'":.,_,.:*"'"*:.,_,.:
    Briizz - v14 EP Werewolf Nightblade <Former Emperor - Chillrend NA>
    Brizz The Elder Dragon - v14 EP Dragon Knight
    Brizz - v12 DC Nightblade <Former Emperor - Celarus NA>
    Brizeer - v4 Stamina Sorcerer - Prophet of Zazeer-Destroyer of Buff Severs and Eater of Sweet Rolls-
    Watch LIVE @ www.twitch.tv/brizztv
  • Prokonto
    Prokonto
    ✭✭✭
    till now 40:0 for "scrap this crap"... & wait for more. Zeni u have answer, start do what u should with this
  • Malpherian
    Malpherian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we get a community representative to at least state that this has been forwarded to a dev or something? I realize this thread is small comparatively, but Post a poll in General discussion and you'll have 1000's of votes on it for a change.

Almost the entire ESO community "Hates" or at least at a minimum think the armor should be changed to something.. well... More...
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd much rather be able to use an armor mod like the one found on this page:
    http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3104/?

than have something else flat and unappealing tossed at us by these devs.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • Malpherian
    Malpherian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well lets be real here, if Companies actually wanted to hire the kind of quality work these private modders do, they'ed be paying 1 dev the amount of money they could buy 10 of their current ones with.

Then again I suppose the quality would be worth it.

You get what you pay for. And it's obvious ZOS budget when it came to art design for armor was VERY low. that.. or the art designers were simply lazy.
    Edited by Malpherian on July 4, 2014 8:13AM
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

MMOs genberally can't handle textures that complex, you might get the shape, but not the look.
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Malpherian
    Malpherian
    ✭✭✭✭✭

MMOs genberally can't handle textures that complex, you might get the shape, but not the look.

Tera Online's textures are close to that complex these days, and they are running an older engine then ESO is....

• MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look...you misunderstand. I'm not suggesting the developers up the quality of the armor graphics themselves.

What I'm suggesting is that they open up the armor and weaponry to cosmetic modding like they did with the UI.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Look...you misunderstand. I'm not suggesting the developers up the quality of the armor graphics themselves.

What I'm suggesting is that they open up the armor and weaponry to cosmetic modding like they did with the UI.

Problematic, some people would use it to create suggestive designs, although I doubt that's what you are thinking about.

It would be nice it they allowed specific mods so you could alter the look, without it being taken advantage of.
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Problematic, some people would use it to create suggestive designs, although I doubt that's what you are thinking about.

So what? It's not like YOU would ever know if someone did or did not. Just like -I- wouldn't know. Why? Because I did not install that "revealing armor" mod, and what someone else has installed doesn't show up on my screen unless I have the same mod installed. Kinda like the UI mods out now.
    However, this will likely never happen, so it's just a pipe dream of mine.
    Edited by MercyKilling on July 7, 2014 10:34AM
    3) Difficulty slider.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

So what? It's not like YOU would ever know if someone did or did not. Just like -I- wouldn't know. Why? Because I did not install that "revealing armor" mod, and what someone else has installed doesn't show up on my screen unless I have the same mod installed. Kinda like the UI mods out now.
    However, this will likely never happen, so it's just a pipe dream of mine.

Relax, I was just pointing out why they probably won't do it, I don't actually want revealing armour myself, and that wasn't where I was going exactly.
    (I actually meant them putting motifs over ahem area's of interest, can't be more explicit without getted editted)

I wouldn't do that, you wouldn't do that, but some idiot would, and then the press would have a storm over a perverse mod scene (how two or three idiots make a scene I'm not sure, but that's how the media would portray it)

The best we could hope for is an authorised subset of certain motifs that an addon would generate. Although I'm not sure an addon can do that (in fact I think they can't).
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule