The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Option to turn off fog or increase view distance

MrDenimChicken
MrDenimChicken
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey Zenimax,

Are there any plans to give players the option to increase the view distance and take away the fog? I know there are some programs like ESO launcher that allow you to reduce it, but it looks kinda bad when all the mountains in the distance look like mashed potatoes.

This is a beautiful game, but it would be the MOST beautiful MMO if you could actually see the mountains and forests sorrounding you within your own zone. Currently, I feel like I am in a bubble of fog when I play this game, and it kind of takes away from the feeling of being a part of a gigantic world, and I already have the view distance set to max.

Anytime you go up on the top of a hill or side of a mountain in this game, you can't really see anything in the distance because of the fog, and I think it truly handicaps the beauty. In Skyrim, when you climb a mountain and see the vastness around you, it is truly breathtaking. This game could conjure up some of those same emotions if it didn't have the fog!

Fog can be good for certain zones, but not every single zone. It's not just about making the game more aesthetically pleasing, it's also about making people feel like they are inside a vast, epic world where the possibilities are endless.
Edited by MrDenimChicken on June 30, 2014 7:13PM
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.gamemodi.net/

its a mod that allows you to turn the fog off a lot of my friends use it.

I don't because my computer isn't top of the line.
    Edited by Laura on June 30, 2014 7:14PM
  • discosoc
    discosoc
    ✭✭✭
    Fog can be good for certain zones, but not every single zone. It's not just about making the game more aesthetically pleasing, it's also about making people feel like they are inside a vast, epic world where the possibilities are endless.

I'd just like to point out that sometimes not being able to see vast distances like you want actually helps make you feel like you're part of an epic world where possibilities are endless. Mainly because when you set the draw distance high enough (for any game), you very quickly realize just how small the world maps really are.
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play on high graphics, so I don't get to experience all these ultra settings. :(
  • Divinius
    Divinius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had to guess, I'd say that the main reason they don't allow us to set the view distance farther than it is currently, is that they know that everyone would just crank it up to whatever the max was, and then come on the forums to complain the game is slow and choppy.

That said, I have a beast of a gaming rig that can easily handle this game, and I'd love to be able to remove the fog without having to resort to things like ESO Launcher.
  • powerLevelOver9000
    +1 for a slider to set the distance aerial perspective aka the fog starts to appear.
  • Azzuria
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh. I like that distant peaks are hazy. Growing up between the Alaska Range and Mt. McKinley ( that'd be the largest mountain in North America ) the Brooks Range I can tell you from personal experience that vast distances -do- look hazy, even on the clearest days.
    Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
  • powerLevelOver9000
    It is not haziness, That is set by depth of field, it is the fog overlay. It is too close, like a bubble, you get out of the city, 100 meter later, you cant even see the city walls, lost in fog (even though some very distant objects show like far away mountains)