The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Alts and farming areas?

xgraceling
xgraceling
Soul Shriven
So I've been taking the time out to invest in crafting and figured perhaps it'd be more beneficial to create alts for different crafts. The only annoying part of creating alts is level limitations. Any tips?

Also, best farming areas for iron ore and rawhide? (Specifying the alliance would be helpful too! :))
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just one. Use the Alts to research the stuff sitting in the bank awaiting a spot for the Main to do it. When you need it for the Main then the Alt can make a new copy and put it in the bank, you just have to keep track of who has which traits researched. It was someone else's hint on another thread which made things a little easier for me.

#edit AD-Auridon has little in the way of wolves around - until you go into Glister Vale where they are all over the place :)
    Edited by Woolenthreads on June 26, 2014 11:51PM
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • slackmare
    slackmare
    ✭✭
    Just one. Use the Alts to research the stuff sitting in the bank awaiting a spot for the Main to do it. When you need it for the Main then the Alt can make a new copy and put it in the bank, you just have to keep track of who has which traits researched. It was someone else's hint on another thread which made things a little easier for me.

#edit AD-Auridon has little in the way of wolves around - until you go into Glister Vale where they are all over the place :)

BEST tip eva!!!!!! Lawd, why didnt i think of that? :facepalm: I had a whole toon with nothing but trait armor/weaps for my main. This is gonna free up so much bank in a couple of days....THANK you
  • xgraceling
    xgraceling
    Soul Shriven

I'm not sure if I fully understand. Are you saying to have the researched traits spread out then create armor spread between alts as well? Wouldn't that be difficult for the alts since they're low levels and don't have as much skill points to invest in craft?
  • Flynch
    Flynch
    ✭✭✭✭
    xgraceling wrote: »

I'm not sure if I fully understand. Are you saying to have the researched traits spread out then create armor spread between alts as well? Wouldn't that be difficult for the alts since they're low levels and don't have as much skill points to invest in craft?

I don't think the traits are level-locked so you can have an alt researching any trait, create that item, then bank the item so you can research it on your main at a later date, instead of banking loads of trait-researchable items with your main.
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xgraceling wrote: »

Your alt can research the first item in 6 hours no mater what level crafter they are if it has not researched an item. So you can clear items from your inventory faster giving them to your alts than your crafter.

The alts can then create a level 1 version of the item (assuming you have the gemstone for the trait) and give it to your higher level crafter for the crafter to research when they are ready. If your crafter holds all of the items you get a very overloaded crafter or bank. It is a great inventory reduction system the only problem is what Woolenthreads mentioned that you have to remember which alt did the research.

I think there are addons that can help with that but I don't use any so can't suggest any.

No need to worry about finding iron it is all over the place in all three starting zones and the starter islands. There are also plenty of low level creatures to get your hides from.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • Surragard
    Surragard
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would just make an Excel sheet with my alts and list everything out. An officer in my guild made crafting spreadsheets back at launch for everyone to log their stuff into. I haven't searched but I'm sure that you could get spreadsheets like that if you searched on Google. At this point there must be some prepared ones that you could use if you don't want to make your own. That way you can track everything effectively.
    I don't always drink Skooma, but when I do I go to the Southwall Corner Club. May you walk on warm sands my friends.
  • Alephen
    Alephen
    ✭✭✭
    best place for iron ore and rawhide, imo: hirelings on all toons. i have 8 toons with at least 1/3 hirelings. only 2 have points into any crafts tiers (2 9/9 woodworkers, 2 9/9 BSs, etc.)

this leaves 6 toons collecting each of the t1 items. 3 per day = 18 for collecting mail. 36 if you get them 3/3 hirelings. each week a stack (or 2) of each types lowest level resource + a half stack of the highest.

this gives good processing for tempers. not to mention the tempers given directly from hirelings.

it sounds like alot of work, but it isnt really. i am only doing this for wood, bs, tailor, and provisioning. the first three can get to lvl 32 (36? bah, cant rememeber) by deconning pretty quickly, and provisioning is crazy fast to craft too. if you are a more casual player, then 2/3 hirleings at lvl 24ish should be sufficient.
    Edited by Alephen on July 10, 2014 11:00PM