Maintenance for the week of July 1:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
· [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Single versus Multiple Toons

Whisper292
Whisper292
✭✭✭
I read in another threat that the game favors a single main char over alt builds, and I've noticed this a lot when interacting with other players in the game and on the forums. I'm just curious: what's the charm?

When I was playing Skyrim, one of my pet peeves was that it was next to difficult to have more than one char going at a time. Now that I'm in ESO, I can play up to 16 different toons at once. I certainly don't have that many, but I do have a handful of toons that I play at different times and for different purposes. I also don't consider any one of them my main and the others as alts. They're all sort of mains in their own right. I was just wondering why many people play a single character to the end instead of trying out other options.
---
Love all, trust few, do wrong to no one. - William Shakespeare
  • crislevin
    crislevin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    because it takes forever to fully develop one toon due to all the grinding of VR.
    Options
  • Falmer
    Falmer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just play your alts like you would in Skyrim and forget VR. There is no set in stone way to play this game.

So many players and posters here on this forum seem to think hitting VR12 is a MANDATORY option for all players.

I played Skyrim for 1200+ hours across numerous characters, none of which were ever higher than lvl 40. LOVED the game.

I have 2 characters (VR1) so far that have reached the end of their stories. I will probably have 6 VR1 characters before I finally tire of the game.
    Edited by Falmer on June 24, 2014 3:01PM
    Options
  • Vis
    Vis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The time it takes to level and gear a toon versus the time between content updates.

The larger the gap between content and the shorter the grind, the more that game favors alts.

The opposite is true for games that promote single player (not to mention more than 2/3 of your skills/passives do not come from your class).
    v14 Sorc Vae Exillis
    v14 DK Costs
    v14 NB 'Vis
    v14 Temp Fiat Lux

Options
  • ebondeath
    ebondeath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside from the immense amount of time it takes to get through veteran ranks, I'm heavily invested in my toon both financially and emotionally. My main has a backstory and her own personality (in my head anyway) and I'm rather attached to her. Every new zone is a chapter her adventure and experiencing new things with this particular character is just more exciting.

Don't get me wrong, I have and love alts, but I love my main and won't focus on alts at least until I've gotten to whatever max veteran rank it is when I get there.
    Edited by ebondeath on June 24, 2014 3:07PM
    ╔═════════════⌈Alannah Corvaine⌋══════════════╗
    Rise, rise! To freedom, rise! Arise, ye Breton sons and daughters.
    Ride, ride! To freedom, ride! Truth and glory to the brave!
    ╚═════════════⌊VR 12 Breton NB⌉══════════════╝
    Options
  • SDZald
    SDZald
    ✭✭✭
    I have 6 characters, at least one in each faction so I can get the flavor of all the zones. My two 'main' characters are level 48 and 46 and I am in NO rush to hit the veteran ranks.

Play the game the way you want to, ignore all the 'experts' telling you the 'best' way to play, have fun your way.
    Options
  • Whisper292
    Whisper292
    ✭✭✭
    ebondeath wrote: »
    Aside from the immense amount of time it takes to get through veteran ranks, I'm heavily invested in my toon both financially and emotionally. My main has a backstory and her own personality (in my head anyway) and I'm rather attached to her. Every new zone is a chapter her adventure and experiencing new things with this particular character is just more exciting.

Don't get me wrong, I have and love alts, but I love my main and won't focus on alts at least until I've gotten to whatever max veteran rank it is when I get there.

This response made me happy because I do the same with my characters. I've even written fanfiction with them, so I understand what you're saying. Thanks for the response!
    ---
    Options
  • Eorea
    Eorea
    ✭✭✭
    I have muliple toons for my roleplay guild alone. Granted, most of them are still level 4-10, but that's changing now that I have a VR1 and don't plan to go any higher. I'll be playing the other factions with another toon, so I don't need to bother with VR ranks on any one of them. I mean maybe I would if the progression didn't make us go through the other faction areas, but I don't want any spoilers for my other two 1-50 alts, you know?
    Options
  • ebondeath
    ebondeath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whisper292 wrote: »
    ebondeath wrote: »

This response made me happy because I do the same with my characters. I've even written fanfiction with them, so I understand what you're saying. Thanks for the response!

I keep meaning to write her story into fanfiction (all of my characters, main +alts, are all connected together), but I never get around to it because Im too busy playing the game. :cold_sweat:
    ╔═════════════⌈Alannah Corvaine⌋══════════════╗
    Rise, rise! To freedom, rise! Arise, ye Breton sons and daughters.
    Ride, ride! To freedom, ride! Truth and glory to the brave!
    ╚═════════════⌊VR 12 Breton NB⌉══════════════╝
    Options
  • Gremlis
    Gremlis
    ✭✭
    I used up all 8 with mains, alts and mules. I understand the VR grind and might make it thru 2 despicable VR grinds to 12. I will wait to try the med armor/stamina builds after they FIX it. They are in their 20's now and are on hold. Blacksmith, woodworker and clothing in their mid 40's. Enchanting in the mid 30's and provisioner maxed of course.
    Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you are a member of a guild other than a trading guild, then having a main or even only character is essentially mandatory. Any major time spent away from your guild makes others wonder if you're disgruntled, because why wouldn't you be spending time with your guildies.

I on the other hand prefer to play muliple characters, getting a feel for multiple classes and stories. But that's one of the choices you have to make.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • Whisper292
    Whisper292
    ✭✭✭
    If you are a member of a guild other than a trading guild, then having a main or even only character is essentially mandatory. Any major time spent away from your guild makes others wonder if you're disgruntled, because why wouldn't you be spending time with your guildies.

Then again, since guilding is player-centered and not character-centered, you could always just do a message to your guild saying, "I still love you but I'm playing this other toon today."
    ---
    Options
  • neueregel
    neueregel
    ✭✭✭
    I currently have 7/8 players. I have one 'main' player. I use the others as mules to hold stuff. I also leveled the others to get 2/3 hirelings for each trade skill so they get materials everyday. I am working on my last mule soon. I get lots of purple and gold mats having 7 players get mats everyday. Also, I get rare provisioning items once and a while.
    Are you not entertained?
    On my command, unleash hell!
    What we do in life echoes in eternity
    Options
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 3 main chars, one in each faction. I prefer to experience the faction content from the bottom up, plus the chars have completely different classes and skillsets which keeps this much more interesting.

Only one of the 3 is going through the VR grind, i currently have no plans to level the other two beyond VR1.

1. EP - Naked Nord Dragon Knight, Dual Wielding Axes and Resto Staff
    2. AD - Wood Elf Templar, Bow and Destro Staff
    3. DC - Breton Sorcerer, Two Handed Axe and Destro Staff

;-)
    Options
  • hk11
    hk11
    ✭✭✭✭
    My normal plan in an MMO is to get all the characters to cap, and then play the one I enjoy the most in respect to balance changes etc.

In ESO, my plan is to level the classes to 49 and then ?... I don't really like the VR thing very much.
    Options
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have and will never have any 'toons'.
    I have characters. One main NB one alt DK and a bunch of argonians hauling stuff.
    Edited by PBpsy on June 24, 2014 6:37PM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
    Options