The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Best PvP Horse?

Faustes
Faustes
✭✭✭
For those who PvP a lot, what do you recommend in terms of horse?

The stamina or speed one? Also, what kind of feeding do you do? Full speed? Full stamina? Half/half?

If it's relevant, I'm a NB.

Thanks
  • Fuzzylumpkins
    Fuzzylumpkins
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any that don't get stuck on pebbles. So any virtual horse not in TESO.
    Options
  • HazardousNovex
    HazardousNovex
    ✭✭✭
    For PvP you want full speed. The increased speed means you can get to a keep under trouble faster and be the difference between winning the defence and losing the keep.

Stamina is kinda useless, because it doesn't affect how much you can sprint and if you do somehow get knocked off your horse, you can dark cloak spam to safety
    Edited by HazardousNovex on June 22, 2014 11:54PM
    Novexus - VR12 Dragonknight

DiE - Oceanic PvP
    www.dieguild.com.au
    Options
  • chaosme
    chaosme
    ✭✭✭
    I believe most people go for speed. The max you can get is 75% if you feed the horse nothing but apples and start with the 42k one with 25% speed (simple horse if not mistaken).
    Options
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your horse's stamina bar is not empty, then you can take a hit or two before getting dismounted (each hit will lower the stamina your horse has and once at zero you will be dismounted). But as most players hold down shift and therefore running with a horse that has an empty stamina bar, that means nothing, so your might as well go for pure speed.

A 65 speed 20 stamina horse (with an empty stamina bar) will dismount you in one hit, the same as a 75 speed 10 stamina horse (with an empty stamina bar)

Running a horse a 65 speed 20 stamina horse, will empty the stamina bar in 20 seconds. As as you will be running on a horse for more then 20 seconds at a time in PVP, its not as good as a 75% speed, 10 stamina horse.

So the 75% 10 stamina horse is better in PVP then the 65% 20 stamina horse. (exceot for the first 20 seconds of riding) and any horse under 65% speed is just too slow
    Edited by Natjur on June 23, 2014 2:03AM
    Options
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All three of my PvP horses are the 42k ones specced fully into speed. The only one at level 50 is 75/11/1 (how did that happen though) and is hilariously fast with retreating maneuver on.

tldr - you want starlight

Edited by Rylana on June 23, 2014 6:28AM
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
    Options
  • Kiljaz
    Kiljaz
    ✭✭✭
    'Light Horse' is the fastest possible and best horse for AvA.
    Options
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rylana wrote: »
    All three of my PvP horses are the 42k ones specced fully into speed. The only one at level 50 is 75/11/1 (how did that happen though) and is hilariously fast with retreating maneuver on.
    When you put one point into ANY horse and it goes from L48 to L49, you get one extra bonus point in all 3 traits. Its odd, but its there.
    Options
  • kijima
    kijima
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina is good not only for longer periods of sprinting but also combats being knocked off your horse.I can ride through an enemies gate and get hit by mages and NOT get knocked off my horse.

In PvE I've found that helpful in Craglorn too. A few times I've found myself riding over a hill and land dead bang into a bunch of NPC's only to find I can get away quickly, sure I take damage but I'm still moving forward and don't get knocked off my horse and find myself stationary while being faceplanted and surround by 5-6 NPC's all wanted to kill me.

Stamina Horse is my favorite Horse, he is like an old pair of shoes, comfy, gets the job done and I can run over any terrain and not worry about what is around me.

I have speedy horse and a pack horse too, but my Stamina/pack horse is fantastic!
    Been here since Feb 2014 - You'd think I'd be half reasonable at this game by now...

A'marta - AD Sorc Tank
    Kijima - AD DK Derps
    Annure - AD NB Derps
    Boom Crash Opera - AD Sorc DPS

Options
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like stamina horses. I like being dismounted the moment that someone attacks me while I am on horse back. The less stamina, the quicker I get knocked off. That way I'll have a better chance of getting up before I am dead.

On a stamina horse, the manual dismount bugs out and doesn't work, so I end up stuck on the horse until I am mostly dead.

With a speed horse, it gets me where I want to go and im in the front of the pack not being ganked while the pack horse/stamina horse riders are in the back getting ganked.
    Edited by timidobserver on June 24, 2014 5:41AM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

Options
  • Glantris
    Glantris
    ✭✭✭
    speed horse > stam horse imo?

extensively tested the effectiveness of different horses in pvp with some friends a few weeks ago. for the record, i have a max speed light horse. even by a bad player, it only takes you a few hits to drain your stam enough to dismount you. the uncancellable falling-on-your-butt animation is pretty much a death sentence every time unless you're fighting a piece of wet tissue paper. better to be able to just speed past them. i've looked for an advantage to it, but stam has come across in my limited experience as pretty useless. only real reason to get a gaited horse is because the black is pretty, especially with the armour plates.

in pve tho, the speed is pretty eh unless you just want to explore quickly. the abundance of wayshrines make the draft horse with maxed inventory a far more useful choice.
    Glantris | VR14 AD Templar | Main Group Heals/Support
    Officer of Decibel, Officer of Legend, Sender of Congealed Cheese
    Options
  • Baskat
    Baskat
    ✭✭
    I bought a light horse and have put 20 points into stamina; all other points into speed.

Usually i hit sprint (shift key) for a half second. That boosts the horse speed for about 3 seconds and takes about 10% of the stamina pool. It needs about 4 seconds to recharge this 10% stamina. So there is still a big buffer to "ride out" eventual hits. Second or third attacks will still kick me down, but at least i made some distance to attackers - usually enough time to recover from falling, going into stealth (NB) or healing out the damage before attackers approach me again.
    Options