Maintenance for the week of September 2:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 3, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 4, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 4, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – September 4, 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Melee range

ArRashid
ArRashid
✭✭✭✭
I don't know if someone else noticed this, but I'm starting to think that "melee range" is calculated not from the CENTER of the hitbox, but from it's edge.

That means that normal humanoids have melee range od about (let's say) 4-6m.
Well, now comes the bad part - some mobs (which are generally not much bigger than humanoids) have much larger hitboxes (especially crocs, bigger crabs, daedroths, werewolves, etc), causing their "melee range" to appear to be about 15-20m.

Example. You hit a man with Talons (6m range, let's say you rooted him 4m from you). Walk 2 steps backwards and he can no longer hit you.
Now, do the same with Daedroth. Your skills (which have about 8m range/radius) can no longer hit him, but his melee attacks STILL hit YOU. Sometimes over absurd ranges (I've rooted Titanclaw crab on a beach about 20m from me, he was just clawing the air and my HP was disappearing rapidly)..

So, why is player's range calculated "from his hitbox' center to target hitbox' edge", but mob range is calculated "from it's hitbox' EDGE to player hitbox' EDGE"?

It doesn't make sense, honestly. It gives most monsters WAY bigger melee range that is supposed to be "realistic".
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is that why I get hit with nothing near me.

But it could be latency too.

It happends alot for me, the only thing that annoy me in any game I play.
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • ArRashid
    ArRashid
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I guess that if it was just latency, then humanoids would cause that too... but so far it's only really visible on enemies with bigger (than usual) hitboxes.
    Coincidence? I think not.
  • Bromburak
    Bromburak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArRashid wrote: »
    So, why is player's range calculated "from his hitbox' center to target hitbox' edge", but mob range is calculated "from it's hitbox' EDGE to player hitbox' EDGE"?

Source?

• XquixoticalX
    XquixoticalX
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I guess that if it was just latency, then humanoids would cause that too... but so far it's only really visible on enemies with bigger (than usual) hitboxes.
    Coincidence? I think not.

So what you're saying is that despite the little white lie we ladies have all told at least one man at some point in our lives...SIZE MATTERS.

:p

All joking aside, I'm legit curious about this and I hope someone sheds some light on the subject.
    ~ Belle Folie

"I'm here to kick ass and eat sweetrolls. And I'm all out of sweetrolls."
  • ArRashid
    ArRashid
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bromburak wrote: »

Source?

Actual fighting in game?
    I have no other explanation for that.. just that maybe, just MAYBE, they game werewolves, Daedroths and such three times as big melee range..
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Source?

ESO.
  • Bromburak
    Bromburak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrong, another lie of players that are confused and disoriented and don't know how stuff is working.
    Edited by Bromburak on June 22, 2014 3:22PM
  • Blackwidow
    Blackwidow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wrong, another lie of players that don't know how stuff is working.

Want to elaborate on your knowledge of the game?
  • Runefell
    Runefell
    ✭✭✭✭
    If this is the case, then it explains much.

If this isn't the case, then some of the enemies REALLY need their range of attack looked at. I've jumped back far enough from rooted enemies that there is no possible way their weapon should be able to reach me, yet I get hit when they swing.
    Rune Fell- Dunmer Mag Sorcerer (DC)~The Adventurer
    Runed Claws- Khajiit Stam Dragonknight (DC) ~The Tank
    Rain Fell- Argonian Mag Templar (EP)~ The Healer
    Dragon Talon- Bosmer Stam Nightblade (AD) ~ The DPS

• Qhival
    Qhival
    ✭✭✭
    (I've rooted Titanclaw crab on a beach about 20m from me, he was just clawing the air and my HP was disappearing rapidly).

so I just encountered this guy in veteran mode and yeah..... he's bugged all to hell and makes him really op. root him and he will still hit you from far away. and when you die, the moves he is using aren't ranged. definitely bugged.
    -Archival -Templar, NA
  • SFBryan18
    SFBryan18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I know is an NPC powers up an attack, and I move back to try to avoid it, and he hits me from across the room. Yea, that's some bull ***.
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SFBryan18 wrote: »
    All I know is an NPC powers up an attack, and I move back to try to avoid it, and he hits me from across the room. Yea, that's some bull ***.
    NPC's power up attacks only do a range check when they are started, so if your in range when the NPC triggers the skill, it will hit you. (so block or stun the NPC)

Player skills do TWO range checks, one on start of casting, and one on finish.

NPC's cheat!

Edited by Natjur on July 11, 2014 1:24AM
  • SFBryan18
    SFBryan18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »
    NPC's cheat!

Damn right they do! Rolling also works, but that's not the point.
    Edited by SFBryan18 on July 11, 2014 1:49AM