The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Installation issues

Scotius
Scotius
Soul Shriven
Greetings, all!

I played ESO during the beta and then the release. I really had no issues on my iMac. I left and recently decided to play again. I had issues with the launcher and decided to delete my files and re-install the game. The installer gives me this message: "Multiple launches of this installer are not allowed."

I have been in contact with customer support and they suggested a clean boot, but that did not help either.

Here are my specs:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you just confirm a few things;

1. What OS X version are you running?
    2. What is the name of the file you downloaded from the Accounts page when clicking Mac client option?
    3. When you double click to launch the downloaded file (mine is called Install_ESO) what actually happens? Just that error message? What is the name of the app that is launched (mine is 'setup') Initially it is a .zip file which should unzip itself by default I think via Safari.
    4. Have you selected Anywhere in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > 'Allow apps downloaded from' is selected not other options.

When you get the error message check in Activity Monitor to see if there actually more than one of the process running as it indicates.

I have not installed for a while so just testing the client I downloaded for launch. Maybe something has changed. Version I have is setup v. 1.0.
    When it does install it will use Java so you see two icons in the Dock which is (was) normal.
  • Scotius
    Scotius
    Soul Shriven
    1. version 10.9.3
    2. Install_ESO.zip.download
    3. It launches as you described with two icons .The blue progress bar fills to 90% or so and I receive that error message.
    4. Yes.

I checked the activity monitor and there are no other launchers. Thanks for the response.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just tested the one I have and it installed the Zenimax Online folder and ESO Launcher with Alias with no issue.

Are you trying to install on main hard drive partition or another partition or HD?

Do you have any Java installed? It should not be necessary as it uses JRE but another install might possibly cause issue?

Are you using a home router connection or a shared/ college connection?

I suggest to trash the installer download, re-download and try again.
    Edited by Moonraker on June 19, 2014 12:20PM
  • Scotius
    Scotius
    Soul Shriven
    I do not know what you mean "with Alias." Is that an extraction program? I am downloading it directly to my hard drive. I am not aware of any other uses of Java outside of my browsers. My computer is connected directly to my router. I've deleted and re-installed the installer multiple times.

This is a little frustrating, especially considering that I once had it on my computer, played the beta and at launch.
  • Scotius
    Scotius
    Soul Shriven
    I just read that a Mac alias is the same as a shortcut. I assume that's what you meant? I've been primarily working with and playing on a Mac but the terms elude me still. :smile:
  • Corew
    Corew
    ✭✭✭
    You are not trying to install to a volume that is formatted Case-sensitive, Journaled?
  • Scotius
    Scotius
    Soul Shriven
    Would that cause an issue since the compressed file has the same name? I am not at my Mac at the moment but I'll check later. I would think the .zip extension would prevent confusion.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scotius wrote: »
    I just read that a Mac alias is the same as a shortcut. I assume that's what you meant? I've been primarily working with and playing on a Mac but the terms elude me still. :smile:
    Yes. Alias is the name of the installed file which is a shortcut.

Beyond this I am at a bit of a lose what can be causing it. I can't replicate it myself.
  • Kileo
    Kileo
    ✭✭
    Came across this as I was looking through the Mac forums, as I always do, in hopes that someone has found a cure to our memory plague...
    Moonraker wrote: »
    Do you have any Java installed? It should not be necessary as it uses JRE but another install might possibly cause issue?

However...
    Moonraker brought up a question that reminded me of past experiences with Java and the InstallAnywhere package.
    I had the same issues (with a different game) where it wouldn't let me completely install the game via the installer. I say completely, because somehow, someway in the process of it installing; the installation failed to complete. (I don't remember why exactly, the power could have gone or something)

Point being, the InstallAnywhere installer places the initial JRE (java) installation files into a cozy, hidden folder that is cleverly titled /private.
    • Go to Folder...
    • /private/tmp
    • IA1300571475
    ...is the name of the folder that holds the JRE files that is preventing you from completing the install.
    Whenever the JRE installation messed up for me, deleting this file and starting over with a new download from the website, always worked for me.

Hope this helps.
    If not, the only other thing I can think of at the moment that could possibly be the issue, would be a problem with Permissions from the last time you had the game installed and then removed/deleted the files when you got rid of it. Leaving certain files in Preferences, Log and Application Support to mistakingly become Read Only.

-K

Also, just to make sure.
    I would probably wait for @Moonraker, to see what he has to say about this. Every situation is different and it may have worked for me, but it may not for you. I'd hate for you to end up in an even worse predicament then you are now. haha
    Edited by Kileo on June 21, 2014 2:30AM
    Believers Never Die
    Æthir
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks posting details @Kileo It all helps TBH. It's likely to be something like this I suspect as it seems to install fine for most players these days.

Other than the above I don't have any other ideas at this stage.
  • Scotius
    Scotius
    Soul Shriven
    I attempted to delete the hidden file, but could not find that particular one in the private folder. I really appreciate the help though. Apparently, others have had this issue with Installanywhere, but on a PC you can go straight to the .exe file. Customer support just had me perform a trace route and I gave them my system info, so they are attempting to figure it out.
  • Moonraker
    Moonraker
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was a thread which covered some similar issues. It seemed that most had been resolved but may offer some idea. Notably permissions to check.
  • NeKryXe
    NeKryXe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anyone found a fix for this yet?