The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Horse Stamina

PlagueMonk
PlagueMonk
✭✭✭✭✭
I would like to discuss a recent and definitive answer a question posed in the recent Variety pack #15:

Is it normal that a horse can continue to sprint even if it runs out of stamina? I think players don’t appreciate that trait, since it seems to do nothing. – Chris J.

Yes, horses can sprint indefinitely without consuming stamina. That said, stamina is still valuable for two other reasons: It protects you from being dismounted when attacked, and if you rapidly press the sprint key you will get big boosts of speed on your mount (but at a much higher stamina cost). Of note, only horse mounts have the endless sprint trait. Other upcoming mount types will have different special traits.

To this I say complete BS. When I personally run out of stamina I drop to a slow jog, why the HELL can a mount run endlessly? This is counter intuitive and utter nonsense. It should work the same way for both mount and horse.

Having the stamina bar be only for a bit of extra speed (which is also a pain to keep tapping) and getting knocked off is not NEARLY as valuable as speed and renders the stat nearly worthless.

To that I would say, give horses invested in stamina permanent armor, making it VERY difficult to unhorse a high stamina horse. Say every 4 pts invested will give you 1 permanent armor which will equal being able to shrug off 1 attack. That alone would make stamina investment (especially in PvP) worth investing in.

For visuals you would get full leather barding at 20 feeds and plate barding at 40 feeds (this would also give those aesthetic people another incentive)
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously, this little extra bonus for horses will make more sense when other types of mounts are released.

Can't say I disagree with. Glad they are claiming it, whether it was an intentional thing or not.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • someuser
    someuser
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't realize horse stamina was worthless....Though it does say it keeps you from getting knocked off and you can spam sprint to go faster... I can see why a lot of guys do pure speed horses.

Wish I knew that back in April :neutral_face:
    To make ESO look and feel like a PC MMO check out the following:

PhinixUI addon-powered interface for ESO
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you run around without holding down shift. (So your horse stamina bar is full) and you get nuked in PVP, the first attack will drop your stamina but not knock you off your horse until the horse is out of stamina, so its 'like' armor. (You have to have a min of 20 stamina for this to work, or the first attack will take ALL stamina and kick you off anyway)

But NO ONE runs around on their horse without holding down shift, so normally everyone gets knocked off on the first attack.

I would be nice to know exactly how much stamina per attack is required, so you know how many 'hits' you can take before dismounted. It appears to be about 21, but hard to test and in PVP I am too busy fighting back
    Edited by Natjur on June 18, 2014 4:27AM
  • PlagueMonk
    PlagueMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doh! I completely forgot about this thread!
    someuser wrote: »
    I didn't realize horse stamina was worthless....Though it does say it keeps you from getting knocked off and you can spam sprint to go faster... I can see why a lot of guys do pure speed horses.

Wish I knew that back in April :neutral_face:

Well it's not completely worthless, just nearly. I mean it only keeps you from being knocked off if you have enough stamina (but each hit takes stamina) and rapidly tapping does NOT give you a "big" speed boost as they claim, it gives you a moderate speed increase. In fact I have a hard time telling when I have lost that speed boost.
    Natjur wrote: »
    If you run around without holding down shift. (So your horse stamina bar is full) and you get nuked in PVP, the first attack will drop your stamina but not knock you off your horse until the horse is out of stamina, so its 'like' armor. (You have to have a min of 20 stamina for this to work, or the first attack will take ALL stamina and kick you off anyway)

But NO ONE runs around on their horse without holding down shift, so normally everyone gets knocked off on the first attack.

I would be nice to know exactly how much stamina per attack is required, so you know how many 'hits' you can take before dismounted. It appears to be about 21, but hard to test and in PVP I am too busy fighting back

Yes, like armor but if they they want to continue with supporting the decision, stamina needs to be made more worthwhile which is why I proposed actual armor.

I don't regret taking the black horse and was willing to trade that 10% for the color but I WOULD like to be able to invest more into stamina and feel my points were being spent wisely which I can't do under the current game mechanics.