Maintenance for the week of July 1:
• NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Started a Templar

Troponin
Troponin
✭✭✭
Was going to go the healing route. Tried to do a bunch of reading, but again, lots of out dated info, so I come up with little help. That, or I get those guide sites trying to sell you garbage.

That said, I went caster first, and so far, it's extremely underwhelming. Damage is poor, even with all points in magicka, and of course, then survivability is poor. I have a feeling if I have to switch to Puncturing strikes spam just to level, I don't make it far.

I know the sustained damage of the caster templar is very good, however, we all know that that means absolutely nothing in leveling. We need strong AoE and burst in order to survive the PvE content. I have actually wondered why AoEing has become such a necessary part of leveling, and it only gets harder, yet they make a class that lacks decent AoE potential.

Regardless, I digress. Any tips, or should I just go back to my NB and not get any dungeon parties? Seems like a real dilemma; No dungeons, or struggle on soloing. I have a few alts up to about level 20, and the Templar is no where NEAR those, even the "broken" NB.
Edited by Troponin on June 10, 2014 4:54PM
  • Darwa
    Darwa
    ✭✭
    I recommend working on the NB for now. Maybe the upcoming 'fixes' will make Templars better, but maybe they won't. As it stand now, you'll get to 50 almost as easily as NB (but not as easily as a Sorc or DK), and then it'll REALLY slow down.

If want more details, then there are a plethora of threads explaining why the seemingly vast majority of players consider the Templar class to be.........lacking.
    Options
  • Thechemicals
    Thechemicals
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Troponin wrote: »
    Was going to go the healing route. Tried to do a bunch of reading, but again, lots of out dated info, so I come up with little help. That, or I get those guide sites trying to sell you garbage.

That said, I went caster first, and so far, it's extremely underwhelming. Damage is poor, even with all points in magicka, and of course, then survivability is poor. I have a feeling if I have to switch to Puncturing strikes spam just to level, I don't make it far.

I know the sustained damage of the caster templar is very good, however, we all know that that means absolutely nothing in leveling. We need strong AoE and burst in order to survive the PvE content. I have actually wondered why AoEing has become such a necessary part of leveling, and it only gets harder, yet they make a class that lacks decent AoE potential.

Regardless, I digress. Any tips, or should I just go back to my NB and not get any dungeon parties? Seems like a real dilemma; No dungeons, or struggle on soloing. I have a few alts up to about level 20, and the Templar is no where NEAR those, even the "broken" NB.

Punctured strikes is a cone aoe.
    Focused charge is an aoe with explosive morph
    Spear shards is an aoe.
    Sunshield is an aoe

Sunfire with reflective morph hits 3 targets+dots them
    Solar flare is an aoe with instant morph and bonus damage.
    Blinding light is an aoe with searing morph
    Eclipse can aoe as well.
    Radial sweep is aoe and it only costs 75 ultimate. use it with crescent morph.

Protip- everyone puts all there points in health. Noone puts all there points in magicka or stamina, especially when levelling. Your endgame attributes should be 5/44/0 or 0/49/0.
    Vr14 Templar since release- dual resto
    Vr14 Dk bow/2h

Brayan Blackthunder
    Goddick
    Daggerfall Covenant

Options
  • Troponin
    Troponin
    ✭✭✭

Protip- everyone puts all there points in health. Noone puts all there points in magicka or stamina, especially when levelling. Your endgame attributes should be 5/44/0 or 0/49/0.

When I start a game, I always put the first 5 points in to magicka because otherwise, you literally don't have enough magicka to cast more than two spells for each pull. Regen is so horrible you have to use wine and potions on every pull. Once I have that first 5 points, I then put them in to health and then try to stack magicka on gear. The problem is, it's hard to be picky unless you are making gear every 2 levels, which becomes time consuming and you have to farm a lot of mats.

Anyway, the AoEs barely put a dent in the other enemies. I see only the slightest mark indicating they were hit by anything.
    Options
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outside of pvp or tanking or possibly endgame raid content I really have to disagree with the all points into health thing. You don't need much health to do the solo content, and it is -MUCH- more beneficial to have the extra resources and damage values that come with investing in stamina and magicka.

My Templar currently has 20 points in magicka, he does solo content just fine, and there is no way in hell I would be able to heal groups as well if I had no points in magicka. The 49 into health deal only comes into play at end game where enchants and buff food can make up the difference.

@ the op: for soloing I typically run dark flare, reflective light, and biting jabs, with inner magelight for the spell crit bonus and annulment for a self shield. I have my second bar set up with heals in case things get hairy. I use a Resto staff on both bars primarily for the magicka return on heavy attacks. I wear 2 heavy and 5 light to retain the light armor casting bonuses while avoiding the dress look.

Typically dark flare -> reflective light X2 -> staff heavy attacks will take care of up to 3 enemies with ease. 4+ enemies may take longer and require some healing. Regardless, this setup does much better than the old 2 hander / heavy armor paladin build I had when I started the character.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
    Options
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VR10 breton templar all points in magicka :P.

Still no huge issues in PvE , for solo , bitting jabs + volcanic rune + immovable should do most of the trick for packs , i also use the vampire life drain and the ult sometimes when it gets harder , but that i only started on VR.

For solo 1x1 boss fights , IF THEY TAKE CC , then i just use the healing staff + eclipse + javelin + honor the dead , that will kill any boss that is either a mage or melee with 0 hits taken , if it is an archer then it will be harder , but you can still do it. Now , if they dont take CC ... then it is harder , usually i dont have the patience to change build much :P , so i just go with immovable + healing staff + honor the dead , i only use the staff for the damage and spend all the mana on the heal.

Yes , this is not a good build , yes , most can come up with something better , but i did get to the VR10 area this way soloing the quests. While i do need a group for the public group dungeons/anchors and some of the world bosses.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
    Options
  • Troponin
    Troponin
    ✭✭✭
    Lynx and Nox, ty both for those. I did find a quick guide for leveling that put together a really easy to obtain build that you can get as early as level 8 using Dark Flare, Reflective light and Jav. In the other two slots I have healing abilities, but one is breath of life, which is very mana intense, and rapid regen. I have been collecting lore books as quickly as possible, so I think I will stick magelight on my bar as well to see if I can boost burst damage a bit.

I am also going to put on two pieces of heavy armor as well. Think that will make a big difference once I can get those passives
    Options
  • dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im templar v9 and love it. great survivalbility, great utilities and decent damage. with the passives you can outheal anyone else per spell( others do have better resource managment). this game is not meant to have a character that does one thing. I healed all pre 50 dungeons with breath of life and purify. didnt even need staff; you need didicated healer post v1 so level a healing staff by then but you should focus on survivability.
    I play sword board with all aoe bar and resto staff for swap 5 light for passives and 2 heavy for extra armor and passives. until you actually level the passives all you get is the armor so i started with 5 heavy and two light ( always training with light and as breton +15% light exp) they leveled at same rate and i switched to light after getting passives while having way more armor leveling up. my plan was and is dedicated healer for group content, but I build to be a powerfull warrior who can hold his own depending on slotted skills.
    as someone else said, we tamplars have lots of AOE. sunfire morphs to hit three and snare. spear shards morphs to do aoe strike+ constant aoe damage(which is getting increased) and stun one. dark flare morphs to instant and aoe and increase power of next move. the spear gap closer morphs to explode aoe. with all these morphs your single target dps isnt great, but backlash+soulstrike on second bar fixes that. I have soloed most vr content. last night i did an anchor with one person healing me, nobody else there.
    I love playing templar. also morph as much as you can pre vet. just cough up the money to respec what u dont like. always have one ability on yur bar that you havent morphed yet (except in dungeons spec specifically for that) that way when you get to the content that is actually hard in vet you wont need to have skills unmorphed on your bar. ps becoming a vampire give you a damage aoe that heals you ult... I hope this helps, just need to get over the hump of leveling skills.
    Options
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lynx and Nox, ty both for those. I did find a quick guide for leveling that put together a really easy to obtain build that you can get as early as level 8 using Dark Flare, Reflective light and Jav. In the other two slots I have healing abilities, but one is breath of life, which is very mana intense, and rapid regen. I have been collecting lore books as quickly as possible, so I think I will stick magelight on my bar as well to see if I can boost burst damage a bit.

I am also going to put on two pieces of heavy armor as well. Think that will make a big difference once I can get those passives

The 2 piece heavy armor wont really help you any noticable amount, even with all the heavy armor passives. If you want better stats, you would be better served by going 7/7 light armor.

The only reason I wear any heavy armor is because I have this big manly templar character (originally made with the concept of being a melee paladin) who looks absolutely terrible in a dress - so I use heavy armor in the chest and shoulder slots to keep the overall look of wearing some tough stuff, while the 5 light armor pieces in the other slots keep my stats fairly decent. My character would probably be much more effective in 7 light, I just dont care enough about min-maxing to sacrafice the look.

PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
    Options
  • Troponin
    Troponin
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^Disguises. lol I keep the seadrake disguise on my female characters and they look pretty hot. Not sure how the guys look in them.
    Options
  • Nidwin
    Nidwin
    ✭✭✭
    Nox build is fine, so don't listen when he/she says

Yes , this is not a good build

VR2 here
    I've respecced and put everything in health to have a margin health wise. But that's a personal choice.

I prefer Solar Barrage over Biting Jabs because it's much faster to spam. I hate the animation and delay with Biting Jabs.

They key isn't rushing and kill everything in one shot, won't work, but manage your magicka pool, doing the damage while staying alive. This is very important solo against Bosses or Elites.

For solo NPC's at the moment till I can morph Piercing Javelin into Blinding Javelin
    1. Breath of Life (heal)
    2. Piercing Javelin (for the push back)
    3. Volcanic rune (CC) till I can morph Piercing Javelin into Blinding Javelin
    4. Reflective Light
    5. Inner light (critt bonus)

AOE for packs
    1. Breath of Life (heal)
    2. Volcanic rune (CC)
    3. Inner light (critt bonus)
    4. Reflective Light
    5. Solar Barrage

Ult in both builds Crescent Sweep

Single target I use Resto staff, needed for the Magicka regen on Heavy attacks, very important in long fights (Elites, Bosses) solo

AOE I've a two-handed sword slotted for the passives and the look. Not certain the passives work that well, but anyway.

Get your hands on Warlock focus + 2 warlock rings as soon as possible and keep them slotted till VR1 when you can get the VR version of them.

I went for 5 Heavy and 2 Light. Personal choice and it seems to work better than 5 light and 2 Heavy or Medium for me.

Since entering VR mode I just decon greens/blue/purples that I don't need for the tannins and upgrade white ones to greens, while slotting Magicka glyphs from loots or bought at Enchanters. Keeping the blue/purple tannins for later on.

Woops, wall for text sorry, lol
    Nidwinqq Templar (healzzz) United Warhammer Vets
    Nidwinqq RR100 Magus till the end, R.I.P. Badlands
    Options
  • NerfEverything
    NerfEverything
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the sustained damage of the caster templar is very good

You could not be more wrong. Templars sustained damage is the lowest in the game. Check the General forums. Some guy is giving away 50k to any templar that can hit 700 dps. So far no one has gotten above 425. Meanwhile Sorcs, DKs, and NBs are all at 1000+ dps.

So you have about half the DPS of the other classes. Sorcs and NBs are the best healers. DKs have utility, survivability, and DPS. Templars have...well nothing.

I would stop playing Templar for a couple months until Zen makes them viable. Unless of course you like being the most underpowered class in the game and enjoy struggling through every aspect of PvE
    Options
  • audabon2013
    audabon2013
    ✭✭
    Agreed, no one should be making temps anymore. Zos just cleaned house and got rid of like 300 of us because our class is so bad even the devs don't want us around.

Seriously though, besides healing, which some may argue is behind sorc and nb , temp is lacking in both mag and stam based dps due to a huge discrepancy in class skills. Insult to injury is how many skills we have with cast times.

Those of us that mained temp must deal with the issue. Everyone else should avoid temp.

I now have a v3 sorc alt that does about the same dps as my v12 but with other better support, ults, buffs, and can heal just fine. One could argue sorc even looks better doin it.
    Options
  • NerfEverything
    NerfEverything
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, no one should be making temps anymore. Zos just cleaned house and got rid of like 300 of us because our class is so bad even the devs don't want us around.

Seriously though, besides healing, which some may argue is behind sorc and nb , temp is lacking in both mag and stam based dps due to a huge discrepancy in class skills. Insult to injury is how many skills we have with cast times.

Those of us that mained temp must deal with the issue. Everyone else should avoid temp.

I now have a v3 sorc alt that does about the same dps as my v12 but with other better support, ults, buffs, and can heal just fine. One could argue sorc even looks better doin it.

Yup, I ditched my VR12 Templar and re-rolled a Sorc. I am enjoying the game again. Zen clearly does not want to put in the effort to fix templars. It is costing them a lot of subs assuming 25% of people rolled templars, not many of them have the patience to re-roll.
    Options
  • Nidwin
    Nidwin
    ✭✭✭
    Sorcs and NBs are the best healers. DKs have utility, survivability, and DPS. Templars have...well nothing.

We Templars have one thing going for us, AvA.

We're the only ones able to spike 2+k heals between 1-2s on 3 targets and that's the only way to keep your peeps alive in Cyrodill.
    We're the only ones with Cleanse, granting purge to thar boys and sistas.
    We're the only ones with a Healing Ultimate that will keep thar boys and sistes alive for 6 secs in close encounters.

And because of this we'll never become dps machines, the way some peeps want Templars to become.
    Options
  • Baphomet
    Baphomet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PvP templars can be beasts. Superb survivability and massive burst damage. I haven't done trials with a templar but I sure as heck don't struggle with the PvE content either as a templar. Don't know what so many people are doing wrong, to be honest.
    Edited by Baphomet on June 12, 2014 7:29AM
    - The Psijic Order
    - TKO
    - Dominant Dominion
    - The Noore
    Options
  • Lettigall
    Lettigall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't invested so much time in my templar I would switch to another class in a heartbeat but I don't think I stick around enough to build new char...
    As for AvA of course templars can do some damage in AvA but only with dress and sticks, rest builds are free AP for enemies.
    Some men just want to watch the world burn... I just want a cold beer!
    Options
  • Nidwin
    Nidwin
    ✭✭✭
    Lettigall wrote: »
    As for AvA of course templars can do some damage in AvA but only with dress and sticks, rest builds are free AP for enemies.

Why would you gimp your alliance in War by dpsing on a Templar?

I although agree about the statement "rest builds are free AP for enemies", except for heal specced Templars.

Options
  • Lettigall
    Lettigall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well playing as mage or healer is not my playing style, I tried to play with dress and stick, did more damage but I realy hated it so I'm visiting Cyrodiil mostly for dailies or to fire siege weapons. Directly fighting other players rarely, only if I have good mood and mind dying.
    Edited by Lettigall on June 12, 2014 11:18AM
    Some men just want to watch the world burn... I just want a cold beer!
    Options
  • jesterstear
    jesterstear
    ✭✭✭
    I have a veteran rank 2 Templar, sword and shield, and a level 13 , light armour restoration staff alt, and I'd say the alt is easier.

Your direct dps is going to be poor, you will be reliant on your healing to survive long battles of attrition. The game is designed to make you run out of magika if you spam skills, that is to offset the lack of cooldowns, so don't do it. Instead use power efficient Damage over Time and power efficient Heal over Time spells and cast no more frequently than is necessary to keep these buffs running. Save your magika and instant cast heals for emergencies. Do damage with your free autoattacks and kite. And yes, most points in health. You are no good as a healer if you are dead.

Low level dungeon battles are either over very quickly or have lulls when you can restore power with heavy attack from your staff. If your healing fails, it is because you are grouped with idiots who can't move out of red circles. Most bosses have scripted, attack random person for 10 seconds moments and if you don't have some health you will die.

Later on you will have armour passives, regen and spell cost reduction jewellery.

Skills

1. Regeneration > Rapid Regen (Restoration staff class skill)

this is your bread and butter HOT

2. Rushed Ceremony (Restoring Light class skill)

your emergency heal, instant cast

3. Sun Fire > Reflective Light (Dawn's Wrath class skill)

power efficient damage over time spell, ranged. Also slows enemies, allowing you to kite. Also with the morph, hits two targets

4. Entropy / Degeneration (Mage's guild skill)

power efficient spell that combines a damage over time on the enemy with a heal over time on you. Can be applied to multiple targets, the healing effect on you stacks

5. Restoring Aura > Repentance (Restoring Light class skill)

On defeat of an enemy, restores stamina and health for you and your team. Costs nothing to cast.

Obviously you also want the Figher's Guild skill, Silver bolts when you are fighting daedra / undead.

Compared with my main, (sword and shield Templar) and my other alt (sword and shield, dark magic sorcerer) this character has had by far the fewest deaths. Only one in fact, when trying to two man a Dolmen.

Edit. Here is my healer at level 12 , taking on three level 14 Sea Viper Pirates.

Note that I don't have one the skills suggested above yet , Entropy. It's still a rather comfortable win, questing at this level you never have to take on more than two mobs at a time (clusters of three can always be avoided).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSF_bcz0WGc&feature=youtu.be

Edited by jesterstear on June 12, 2014 2:16PM
    Options
  • Ghnami
    Ghnami
    ✭✭✭
    As a healer, I go with a resto staff. I only have 2 healing skills slotted, and they change from time to time depending on what my needs are. The other 3 abilities are mob melters. Solar Flare, Focused Charge, and Puncturing strikes morphs. Absolutely MELTS through mobs. Can even use the sweep ult for more clear speed, it's up every other pack of 3 pretty much. There is no way you will pve effectively without using the aedric spear skill line, even if its just for the ult.

Just remember, you don't do damage if you don't use damage skills, and the best damage skills are aedric spear.
    Options