Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

How much can I play ESO solo?

• IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dovah-Zoor wrote: »
    Hello all. I have never played ESO before, but would like to try it. Huge fan of Oblivion and Skyrim. I know this is an online take on The Elder Scrolls, but I'm hoping I can play it as if it were like the previous games, rather than a MMO.

I have googled this, but thought I'd come straight here for very direct answers...

How much, if any, of ESO can I play solo? I don't even want to see other players. Is there a way to make a private game where it's just my character? I read the main story line can be played solo. Does this mean 100% solo, as in no one else is in the same game? Can side quests, guilds and dungeons be played solo?

I guess I'm hoping for ES6, rather than an online game. Hoping to get my questions answered. Thanks guys.

You will definitely see other players in the same area unless you just hide in maelstrom arena instance or something, but you can easily play this entire game solo, all the quests, most dungeons/caves and even PVP solo.

In my case I suppose I'm solo about 90% of the time, but there are some dungeons that require 4 people and others that require 12 people. However if you are really good, it's possible to do some of the 4-man dungeons solo.

In my view, it is not as enjoyable to play this way compared to the single player TES games, because the overworld and delve combat encounters don't feel quite as dynamic as they do in the single player games. In Oblivion and Skyrim, the enemies have more complex behaviors and look for you if you are hiding, chase you a long distance, etc. Most of the enemies in ESO have more simple behavior, perhaps due to constraints of multiplayer server.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople on September 26, 2017 1:51AM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Someone needs to stop playing with their Necrotic Orb ...
    rolleyes.gif

Let me re-quote meself here, this thread is from 2014 ...
    bye1.gif