Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Gamebreaking new bug. Abilities gets "locked out" with critters nearby. Fix this ASAP

• monkeymystic
    monkeymystic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what we're saying is that skills can fail just because there happens to be some pointless creature around? It was ridiculous making these background decoration things targetable in the first place.

But on the bright side - us beta testers are doing a fine job getting the game fit for its console launch.

Yep, critters being in your "view" makes your heal, buff and support abilities completely locked out. And there are critters everywhere.

This is causing players to get "locked out" in the open world, or raids to wipe because healers gets locked out.

Funny gamebreaking bug isnt it?
    Edited by monkeymystic on June 3, 2014 11:10AM
  • steveb16_ESO46
    steveb16_ESO46
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, critters being in your "view" makes your heal, buff and support abilities completely locked out. And there are critters everywhere.

Funny gamebreaking bug isnt it?

It's certainly a joke of some sort.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What i think happened here:

1, Critters were receiving buffs (effectively stealing them from intended targets)
    2, To fix this, ZOS changed one part of the code, making critters a non-target for these buffs
    3, Another, separate part of code that handles 'valid targets' kicked in, with the unintended effect of graying out your buff button when looking at a critter because you are effectively aiming the spell at an invalid target.
  • steveb16_ESO46
    steveb16_ESO46
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

1, Critters were receiving buffs (effectively stealing them from intended targets)
    2, To fix this, ZOS changed one part of the code, making critters a non-target for these buffs
    3, Another, separate part of code that handles 'valid targets' kicked in, with the unintended effect of graying out your buff button when looking at a critter because you are effectively aiming the spell at an invalid target.

No doubt. That's why we'd appreciate it if they'd have some proper quality control and test stuff before releasing it instead of treating us as the testers.
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    After reading this it seems like there's a really simple fix for this. Kill the critter with a normal mouse attack.
    I can hack lizards, snakes, wasps, etc. all day and night long with no problem. It's how I get bait for fishing.
    Heck, you can even shoot them with a bow and kill them. No need to use an ability on a critter.

Might not be optimal, but it'll work until a fix comes down the pipes.

This. I've never had a problem with what this thread is going on about.

(NA) Anlaemar with 750+ Champion Points
    Member Since April 15, 2014
    (EP)Alrik Vadason - Nord Dragonknight
    Tank
    (EP)Matdasi Hlarrobar - Breton Mageblade
    Formerly known as Ra'dar Ahdhari - Main DPS 40k Self Buffed
    (EP)Marrec Vadason - Breton Templar Healer
    (EP)Nameless - Altmer Sorcerer - Secondary DPS
    - The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason -
  • Pimbee
    Pimbee
    Soul Shriven
    I was wondering why my healing skills kept getting grayed out.

The constant lazy/easy "fixes" for problems we are encountering seems to be the normal way they go about fixing stuff. This is a bad habit that they seem to keep doing.

Seriously, who do they have doing their coding? I almost feel like they're a bunch of shade-tree mechanics.
  • monkeymystic
    monkeymystic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

No doubt. That's why we'd appreciate it if they'd have some proper quality control and test stuff before releasing it instead of treating us as the testers.

If this in fact was a "function" that they sent live without actually testing it, then it definately makes us feel like testers when we now see how it breaks the gameplay completely.

The fact that an ESO world filled with CRITTERS now wipe entire raids, or make solo players die in the open world because their heal, support and buff abilities gets locked out and can't cast, is something that needs to be hotfixed quick.
    Edited by monkeymystic on June 3, 2014 11:24AM
  • steveb16_ESO46
    steveb16_ESO46
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If this in fact was a "function" that they sent live without actually testing it, then it definately makes us feel like testers when we now see how it breaks the gameplay completely.

It clearly wasn't tested. At least not properly. But making quick changes without thinking things through, let alone testing them, seems to be the way they roll.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey folks, just letting you know that we've identified a fix for this, but want to test it thoroughly first. We'll roll it out as soon as it's fully tested and ready!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey folks, just letting you know that we've identified a fix for this, but want to test it thoroughly first. We'll roll it out as soon as it's fully tested and ready!
    I would ask how such a crippling and easily reproduced bug failed to be picked up by your QA department .. but there are so many game-breaking bugs that could be asked about I don't expect I'd get an answer.
  • FrauPerchta
    FrauPerchta
    ✭✭✭
    Had this twice yesterday. Tried the double esc for the abilities freeze bug but it didn't help. Had to Win out, close ESO then start ESO again. How is a bug this major missed in testing?
  • Kalman
    Kalman
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented abilities on your skill bar from being used after attacking a critter.
    Consuming Trap: This ability can no longer be used on critters to restore Health, Magicka, and Stamina.

Above 2 are from 1.1.2 patch notes. One of these "fixes" probably caused a much bigger issue.
  • monkeymystic
    monkeymystic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you manage to roll out a hotfix that works for this soon (as in soon soon)then I'll take my hat off to you guys for listening and fixing it fast!

We can say many things on how this bug/"function" never should have hit live and blabla, but if they really fix this in a week or so with a hotfix, then I know both my guild and I will be very happy.
    Edited by monkeymystic on June 3, 2014 4:07PM
  • Aoifesan
    Aoifesan
    ✭✭✭
    Would you guys mind letting us know exactly which abilities you're using when you run across this issue?

ALL of them. I had a night blade bar set with Killer's Blade, Swallow Soul, Piercing Mark, Ambush, Siphoning attacks, Ult Veil of Blades.

None of those abilities would work. I was careful to block and make sure my reticle was over the bad guy too. The only thing I could do was chug a potion to delay the death.
  • OldSmeller
    OldSmeller
    ✭✭✭
    Would you guys mind letting us know exactly which abilities you're using when you run across this issue?

What's shocking is how long it is taking players to complain about stuff that has been around since release. Abilities locking in certain situations is par for the course.
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    On a Similar note, I just teleport struck an assassin and killed the rat near it dead... the assassin then started to open a whole can of whupazz on me... thankfully the rat was dead so I could eat him and start over... (Vamp thing), by the same token, that storm mage that winks over to me and blasts me with lightning can not only pass over bugs and rats, but his area of effect attack does not affect the bugs and rats... leaving them there to get in my way at a very inconvenient time...
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • Teroh
    Teroh
    ✭✭✭
    cant pvp with this bug or pve. time to start looking into other mmo's
    The Fallen Legion is Recruiting, Help us Retake Cryodiil! Message me for more information.
  • Cimos
    Cimos
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the bugged that is fixed by hitting enter twice? I never knew what it was caused by, but it basically locks me out of ALL abilities and the "E" action button.
  • Jimm_ay
    Jimm_ay
    ✭✭✭
    omg I kept wondering why Breath of Life was not firing...
  • Fyrakin
    Fyrakin
    ✭✭✭
    what do you mean? People were asking for their abilities to not work?

This is his quote on the thread that first came up because of this change.
    This is a good change and a non-issue. As stated, critters were sometimes getting in the way of legitimate attacks, and that was a problem. See, I don't want to waste my spell on a squirrel instead of that boss I'm supposed to be fighting.

This doesn't affect heals at all, and if you want animal parts, you have a weapon.

Never mind that a stray critter locked out spells and annoyed people, nerevarine was happy with it.

But he's been happy with everything.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Flaming]

So instead of letting you heal while critters are targetted, they thought it would be better to lock out all heal, buff and utility abilities instead?

Jesus christ they didn't really think this "function" through well enough before sending it live O_O It made the gameplay horrible and incredibly annoying as there are critters everywhere.

A change that causes raids to unintentionally wipe, or players to die when solo questing because their abilities are locked out is not a smart change in a MMO lol..

I suspect QA is not efficient enough or there are too few testers on PTS.
    NA Megaserver (810) - Fyrakin, Loremaster Fyrakin, Cartographer Fyrakin, Taskmaster Tobin, Zergas, Texa, Furnacius, Hextex
    EU Megaserver (167) - Fyrakin
    MiniMap author
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should just make all critters (the 1HP type) absolutely uninteractable for gameplay reasons. No kills, no heals just window dressing. At least until they come up with a better solution.