Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Vampire vs The Mage

Asuna_Meow
Asuna_Meow
✭✭✭
In Craglorn I keep hearing that if your a vampire you simply will not be able to do this boss as the first attack at 30% will one shot you no matter your fire resist... is this true? I cannot see this being possible, as then it makes vampire even more useless -.-

If it is true I can understand having some disadvantage to vampire but being one shot no matter what you do means you have to cure it if you want to beat this trial (without your raid group having to carry you) :(
Meow
  • Elyna
    Elyna
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vampire is useless? lol. Play a Werewolf for a while and then talk. Vampire is a friggin god compared to the steaming pile of crap known as the Werewolf.
  • Brittany_Joy
    Brittany_Joy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any vampire that dies to anything is a noob. You have a passive that reduces all damage taken by 50%. You also have an ability that reduces all damage taken by 75%.
  • Asuna_Meow
    Asuna_Meow
    ✭✭✭
    Elyna wrote: »
    Vampire is useless? lol. Play a Werewolf for a while and then talk. Vampire is a friggin god compared to the steaming pile of crap known as the Werewolf.

Don't think I said anything about Werewolf...
    Any vampire that dies to anything is a noob. You have a passive that reduces all damage taken by 50%. You also have an ability that reduces all damage taken by 75%.

Something tells me you have not done veteran content as a vampire yet... that 50% damage reduction below 50% doesn't do jack crap when a targeted fire spell one shots you. Also that 75% damage reduction maybe cool for a bit but hte cost of it is stupid high for one and two it makes you unable to attack for the duration which means your useless to the group if you cannot continue to deal damage, as it just makes the fight last longer, which in turns adds more damage to the rest of the group.

As far i'm concerned Vampire is useless. Until they do something about the fire damage taken it's just not usable in PvE unless you want to bring more pain to your group members.
    Meow
  • smercgames_ESO
    smercgames_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You know you can cancel mist form early by entering a menu right? Not sure if that is really intended or not (i doubt it) but it's possible. Either way they give you a way to mitigate damage but it's up to you to use it. I will admit I know nothing about the fight but you do 0 DPS dead vs 0 DPS for a few seconds.

Undeath is the passive with the 50% dmg reduction but that only kicks in when your health is below 50% and I'm not sure the darn thing even works. I've never really noticed a difference but either way it would have no effect if you are at 100% and then go to 0.
  • Drachdhar
    Drachdhar
    ✭✭✭
    Dodge?
  • Elyna
    Elyna
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was referring to the fact that you think Vampire is useless. I was comparing to the alternative World skill class, Werewolf, Vampire is Jesus Christ on steroids.
    Edited by Elyna on June 6, 2014 8:13PM
  • Clutch
    Clutch
    ✭✭✭
    What kind of attack is it? Vampires are weak because their self sustain-capability is phenomenal in the right hands of a skilled player. So the question is, regarding the attack that one shots you, what are its properties. Dodging may very well be a valid tactic as I have a hard time believing they throw in a nuke that is unavoidable and raid wide unless if you're hitting some kind of pseudo enrage timer (IE: if your DPS isn't strong enough and the fight takes too long, the mobs kill you - WildStar does this). In which case, if there is an enrage period you're hitting, you being a vampire is the least of your concerns.
  • Sihnfahl
    Sihnfahl
    ✭✭✭✭
    Clutch wrote: »
    What kind of attack is it?
    Actually, I believe the boss is Varlariel.

Raid-wide, unavoidable fire AOE. Hits for 1k-1.2k minimum. Damage increases per add alive.
    Edited by Sihnfahl on June 7, 2014 1:37AM
  • CoUsT
    CoUsT
    ✭✭✭
    Who and why is vampire if you want to do PvE? It's crazy. You don't have anything good from vampire in PvE and you just get higher income damage.
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I laugh reading about how "weakling" vampires are.

Make a purple glyph, and put it on a purple pendant or ring. (these are going cheap for 1000g also).

A VR5 one, it will give you a flat 1060 Fire resistance. Which is ADDED on the normal SPELL resistance which is hovering around 1500 to boot. (2 VR5 blue light crafted with passives skills, plus trait)

Tbh against good Vampire players, anything but fire damage is mandatory.
    And go to Cyrodiil and laugh at the DKs trying to burn you. :D

If you feel unsafe still. Put a second glyph for another 1060 protection.

Silver Leash is the only issue if you are vampires due to it's CC abilities. Not the fire damage and not "normal CC".
  • Still_Mind
    Still_Mind
    ✭✭✭
    I laugh reading about how "weakling" vampires are.

Make a purple glyph, and put it on a purple pendant or ring. (these are going cheap for 1000g also).

A VR5 one, it will give you a flat 1060 Fire resistance. Which is ADDED on the normal SPELL resistance which is hovering around 1500 to boot. (2 VR5 blue light crafted with passives skills, plus trait)

Tbh against good Vampire players, anything but fire damage is mandatory.
    And go to Cyrodiil and laugh at the DKs trying to burn you. :D

Silver Leash is the only issue if you are vampires due to it's CC abilities. Not the fire damage and not "normal CC".
    I don't think FR is added on top of SR. It stacks up to hardcap.
    "I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!"
  • Asherrion
    Asherrion
    I really don't think Vampires take more damage by The Mage. I have cleared it as a vampire and I really didn't feel like being one was detrimental. MANY other guilds have cleared it with vampires and anyone excluding you from a group for being a vampire is delusional and or a prick.

Disclaimer: Just had this discussion with somebody, he was both delusional and a prick.

also.. Spell Resist is additive with Fire Resist up to a cap of 50%, the soft cap for each individual resist is around 1800. you get around it by supplementing with an elemental specific resist.
  • Andy22
    Andy22
    ✭✭✭

In light armor this does absolutely nothing for u, since u are already at the combined 50% hardcap.

I can't count how many times this "reasoning" flaw has been pointed out, but if we have 2 players one is a vamp and both are either at 3150 SR (v12 cap) or combined SR+FR, the vampire player will still take 50% more from fire based attacks!

The only case that has some validity to this nonsense about "I can negate the Vampire fire vulnerability by fire resist gear", is that in normal trial/veteran situations, most DPS use 3* spell damage rings/neck. So if a Vampire uses 1 fire resist ring, he/she will lower its DPS by about 3-4%, while "only" taking 8-25% more damage from fire based attacks, depending on how often u get Combat Prayers/Circle of Protection.

If the DPS u compare against, actually also uses the same fire resist ring, the vamp will still get 50% more damage.
    Clutch wrote: »
    Dodging may very well be a valid tactic as I have a hard time believing they throw in a nuke that is unavoidable and raid wide unless if you're hitting some kind of pseudo enrage timer.

While "hard to believe" thats actually the case and the boss is called "The Mage", its basically a raidwide continuous AE dmg pulsing phase, that simply starts at 30% HP. The ae even gets stronger the longer he stay's alive in this final phase.
    Asuna_Meow wrote: »
    In Craglorn I keep hearing that if your a vampire you simply will not be able to do this boss as the first attack at 30% will one shot you no matter your fire resist... is this true?

I tried to also gather information on the ae spell/phase itself, but so far while it "could" be fire based, i only found circumstantial or hearsay evidence that it actually is. Btw he won't "one shot" anyone, even a vampire. The rumor is more about that u have a much higher chance to die, because the healers can't keep u alive after a given time (5-10 sec).
    Edited by Andy22 on June 12, 2014 1:45PM