Maintenance for the week of July 1:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
· [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Xbox Live™ is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://twitter.com/XboxSupport

Does Zenimax know the difference between an internal cooldown and a global cooldown?

Mortosk
Mortosk
✭✭✭✭
I think the recent change to biting jabs is evidence they don't know the difference.

They say they added 0.7 seconds to the internal cooldown of biting jabs. But, they in fact added a new 1.2 second GLOBAL cooldown (the original 0.5 seconds + the added 0.7 seconds) preventing templars from using any skill after casting biting jabs. Can't even drink a potion.

Here is a free MMO lesson for you, Zenimax:
  • A global cooldown locks all your skills.
  • An internal cooldown prevents you from using 1 skill.

Would be nice if you at least acknowledged this error. It is going on 5 days now.
"Now I stand, the lion before the lambs and they do not fear. They can not fear." --Arthas Menethil (aka, The Lich King)
  • Noswell
    Noswell
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your patience as we tracked this one down. We have an answer for you.

In patch 1.1.2, we increased the internal cooldown of Biting Jabs from 0.5 seconds to 1.2 seconds. Unfortunately, this change was not documented in the patch notes. This was not intended, and we do apologize.

This change was made to balance the ability's high single target damage. However we have been reading your feedback, and agree that the ability feels too unresponsive now. We will be reverting this change for the next patch (as soon as possible), and instead will slightly increase the ability's resource cost.
    Options
  • Vandril
    Vandril
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Noswell - That was the OP's point. In that post, they said they upped the Internal Cooldown of that spell. They didn't. They added a Global Cooldown to that spell, instead. It's mostly semantics, but the OP was sarcastically complaining that ZoS doesn't understand the difference between the two terms.
    Options
  • Noswell
    Noswell
    ✭✭✭
    Vandril wrote: »
    @Noswell - That was the OP's point. In that post, they said they upped the Internal Cooldown of that spell. They didn't. They added a Global Cooldown to that spell, instead. It's mostly semantics, but the OP was sarcastically complaining that ZoS doesn't understand the difference between the two terms.

Yeah, I got it. If he's asking for them to post acknowledging that they didn't use the terminology most people are used to, I doubt it's coming. I also doubt it's worthy of a thread in the Customer Service forum section.

I assume most of his frustration is coming from the change itself and not really the type of cooldown it is, so I posted the official response in case he hadn't seen it.
    Options
  • Hiply
    Hiply
    ✭✭✭
    Noswell wrote: »

Yeah, I got it. If he's asking for them to post acknowledging that they didn't use the terminology most people are used to, I doubt it's coming. I also doubt it's worthy of a thread in the Customer Service forum section.

I assume most of his frustration is coming from the change itself and not really the type of cooldown it is, so I posted the official response in case he hadn't seen it.

He also might be asking, as am I, that the GCD be replaced by a genuine internal cooldown...since that was supposed to be the fix.
    Options
  • Albarich
    Albarich
    ✭✭✭
    I think why so many people did complain about this is because it was not an increased internal cooldown. Instead you were doomed to watch the incoming boss special attack after you used biting jabs.
    Blocking was not possible which rendered this skill practicaly useless.

But today it seemes fixed, blocking was again possible after biting jabs.
    Options
  • Mortosk
    Mortosk
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they intend there to be a 1.2 second global cool down after we use biting jabs, I would be surprised. None of my other skills triggers a global cooldown.

This is why I think this was an unintentional error. I think Jessica was reporting what the devs told her they thought they did, but in reality their changes are not having the desired effect.

If they intend on keeping biting jabs this way until next patch and keeping a 0.5 second global cooldown in perpetuity, they should acknowledge it was intended to be a global cool down and not just an internal one.
    Edited by Mortosk on May 27, 2014 4:20PM
    "Now I stand, the lion before the lambs and they do not fear. They can not fear." --Arthas Menethil (aka, The Lich King)
    Options
  • Mortosk
    Mortosk
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm asking if they know it is a global cool down or not, because they say it was supposed to be internal to the skill. There is a big difference between what they said they changed and what actually changed. All you need do is play a templar with this skill for 5 minutes to see that.

I don't know why asking for clarification on this wouldn't be worthy of a post here considering.
    Options
  • ZOS_TristanK
    ZOS_TristanK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, all. We've moved this thread from the Support section to the Class Skills section. Thanks!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Options
    Staff Post
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, all. We've moved this thread from the Support section to the Class Skills section. Thanks!
    And? Did you even read it? Any comments on the subject?
    confused24.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on May 27, 2014 6:22PM
    Options
  • Mortosk
    Mortosk
    ✭✭✭✭

Would you mind adressing this legitimate concern that this skill is now bugged by the definition Jessica posted in the patch addendum?

Is it supposed to have a 1.2 second GLOBAL cooldown instead of a 1.2 second internal cooldown as reported? Will it remain a 0.5 second GLOBAL cool down instead of an internal one once this change is "reverted"?
    Options
  • Vandril
    Vandril
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't even play the class, and I just hope that the developers don't genuinely believe they added an internal CD to the ability, only to have the "fix" be a reduction to what is actually a skill-breaking global cooldown that hinders even blocking.

I'd like to believe that they know what's what and that they just mistyped, but ZOS has not given me much of a reason to give them the benefit of the doubt. As far as the issues this game has had since launch, I'm honestly surprised it's going as well as it is, considering the fact that ZOS is making a ton of novice MMO-dev mistakes. I just hope they can find their experience and their comfort zone before something really catastrophic goes wrong.
    Options
  • TRIP233
    TRIP233
    ✭✭✭
    Mortosk wrote: »
    I think the recent change to biting jabs is evidence they don't know the difference.

They say they added 0.7 seconds to the internal cooldown of biting jabs. But, they in fact added a new 1.2 second GLOBAL cooldown (the original 0.5 seconds + the added 0.7 seconds) preventing templars from using any skill after casting biting jabs. Can't even drink a potion.

• A global cooldown locks all your skills.
    • An internal cooldown prevents you from using 1 skill.

Would be nice if you at least acknowledged this error. It is going on 5 days now.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one seeing the Global Cooldown. I knew about the Biting Jabs and everyone on the forums was talking about that one but no one else talked about the lock out of every skill.

I'm personally glade you posted about this. It lets me know I'm not the only one that has been experiencing this.
    Options
  • Mortosk
    Mortosk
    ✭✭✭✭
    No developer has addressed this yet. 6+ Days now. But, of course they have other pressing issues I suppose, like slaying the "Requesting Character Load" boss so I can play the game.

Guess I shouldn't take things for granted. I'd be happy to be using my gimped Biting Jabs ability right now instead of staring at a loading screen.
    Edited by Mortosk on May 28, 2014 11:46PM
    Options
  • Baphomet
    Baphomet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys, it's not just puncturing strikes. When you complete a heavy attack with your fire staff, for instance, there also is a delay when you activate an ability or light attack - which is funny because light attacks are better dps than heavy attacks already.

You can't spam impulse quite as fast anymore either. Ambush I can spam faster than most instant cast abilities, though.
    - The Psijic Order
    - TKO
    - Dominant Dominion
    - The Noore
    Options
  • Mortosk
    Mortosk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Baphomet wrote: »
    Guys, it's not just puncturing strikes. When you complete a heavy attack with your fire staff, for instance, there also is a delay when you activate an ability or light attack - which is funny because light attacks are better dps than heavy attacks already.

You can't spam impulse quite as fast anymore either. Ambush I can spam faster than most instant cast abilities, though.

So you are saying they secretly introduced a GCD to multiple skills in this patch and forgot to mention it in the patch notes?

Options
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    "More like borophyl!"

... right?
    Options
  • Baphomet
    Baphomet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I am pretty convinced that they've fiddled with the internal cooldown on several abilities. Puncturing strikes just had the longest increase of them, which is why it is extremely noticable.
    - The Psijic Order
    - TKO
    - Dominant Dominion
    - The Noore
    Options
  • SCSA
    SCSA
    ✭✭
    The cooldown on puncturing strikes is pissing me off.
    Options
  • Mortosk
    Mortosk
    ✭✭✭✭
    We're past the 1 week mark now and no one has addressed this introduction of the GCD to the game. Is this a new theme we should be expecting more of in the future. If so, would it be silly of me to ask you at least document these types of major, game changing updates correctly?
    Options
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After cancelling my sub today , my only regret is that i never managed to finish the DC faction zones ...

Oh well , only 1 zone left , close enough and i never liked orcs much anyway :P.

Still, i do have a few days left.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
    Options
  • InspectorGanja
    InspectorGanja
    ✭✭✭

Thats no answer to the question TrisanK.. Does Zenimax know the difference between an internal cooldown and a global cooldown?
    A global cooldown locks all your skills.
    An internal cooldown prevents you from using 1 skill.
    Edited by InspectorGanja on May 29, 2014 5:57PM
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't
    Options
  • Mortosk
    Mortosk
    ✭✭✭✭
    At this point I don't expect them to ever acknowledge this major mistake, but I would be satisfied if they simply reverted it back to an ICD quietly.
    Options
  • pecheckler
    pecheckler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cooldown change is going to be reverted and a mana cost instead added instead.
    End the tedious inventory management game.
    Options
  • Mortosk
    Mortosk
    ✭✭✭✭
    pecheckler wrote: »
    Cooldown change is going to be reverted and a mana cost instead added instead.

They said the increased the internal cool down before. Now they are saying they are reducing the global. Guess that means the internal will still be 1.2 and they are increasing the cost. So they aren't reverting the change, they are just making it worse. We can't spam it AND it costs more. They said they were going to revert it. But at least we won't be locked out of all our skills for 1.2 seconds. That's my take anyway.
    Options
  • Mortosk
    Mortosk
    ✭✭✭✭
    If they increased the biting jabs internal to 1.2 in the last patch as Jessica said and now they just reducing the the global then that means not only can't we spam the skill like before and it will cost more magicka. How is that reverting it? The only difference is we won't be locked out of all our skills for as long. Am I interpreting this wrong? Seems like word games.
    Options
  • Mortosk
    Mortosk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry Cell phone apparently posted the same thing multiple times by accident. Editing.
    Edited by Mortosk on May 31, 2014 5:16PM
    Options