The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

An Unknown Error Has Occurred

Morbash
Morbash
✭✭✭✭
I constantly receive this "An unknown error has occurred" error message whenever I'm in large groups. My game becomes unresponsive. I can run around in the game world, but beyond that, nothing works. I can't draw or sheathe my weapon(s). I can't interact with other players. I can't use chat. Nothing. After a few minutes, the game will boot me to the log-in screen and present me with the "An unknown error has occurred" error message.

I've tried using Google to identify the problem. I've tried EVERY possible solution under the sun. I have checked my GPU drivers. I have used the "Repair" game option in the ESO launcher. I have launched ESO using both the launcher and the main executable. I have tried running the launcher and the main executable as an administrator. I have also tried running the game in various compatibility modes. None of this works.

How do I fix this? Are you aware of this? Will the next patch address this issue? When is the next patch scheduled to be released? I would like to be able to play what I payed for.

[Edit]

Not sure if this helps, but my system specs are as follows:
  • CPU - i5 3570k (stock clocks; boosts itself to 3.8 GHz under load)
  • Motherboard - ASRock Z75 Pro3
  • RAM - 8 GB of G.Skill Ares running at 1866 MHz
  • GPU - Galaxy GTX 670 - 2 GB version
  • SSD - 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro - TESO is installed on this drive
  • OS - Windows 7 64 Bit - This is also installed on the SSD

I have also attached a dxdiag log to this post.

[Edit #2]

The unresponsiveness appears to persist while I'm in a group even when I log back into the game. Once I've been kicked from the group or once the group disbands, the responsiveness of my game appears to return to normal.
Edited by Morbash on May 25, 2014 10:18PM
"War doesn't build character; it reveals it."
  • Jerdeh
    Jerdeh
    ✭✭✭
    I constantly receive this "An unknown error has occurred" error message whenever I'm in large groups. My game becomes unresponsive. I can run around in the game world, but beyond that, nothing works. I can't draw or sheathe my weapon(s). I can't interact with other players. I can't use chat. Nothing. After a few minutes, the game will boot me to the log-in screen and present me with the "An unknown error has occurred" error message.

I've tried using Google to identify the problem. I've tried EVERY possible solution under the sun. I have checked my GPU drivers. I have used the "Repair" game option in the ESO launcher. I have launched ESO using both the launcher and the main executable. I have tried running the launcher and the main executable as an administrator. I have also tried running the game in various compatibility modes. None of this works.

How do I fix this? Are you aware of this? Will the next patch address this issue? When is the next patch scheduled to be released? I would like to be able to play what I payed for.

I have the same problem.
    Been playing since betas 2014
  • Morbash
    Morbash
    ✭✭✭✭
    I played for a few hours in a group today. Now, the error is reoccurring. Nothing seems to fix it unless I'm dropped from the group, which won't happen anytime soon since I can't communicate with any of the players in my group. I also attempted to report this error in-game but was unsuccessful. It appears as though there's something wrong with the server. I was not affected by this issue until the recent Craglorn patch.
  • Belrim
    Belrim
    ✭✭✭
    Same problem. Was in a group in Craglorn, everything worked ok for 10 minutes, then started getting Unknow Error -logouts. Now, when i log back in, cannot do anything, not even leave the group .. then in 1-2 mins the error re-occurs.

edit: logged in on another char, who is in another area, and all is ok.
    Edited by Belrim on May 26, 2014 1:21PM
    Early bird gets the worm, but second mouse gets the cheese.
  • Morbash
    Morbash
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is still occurring even after the recent server maintenance.
  • Sharakor
    Sharakor
    ✭✭✭
    This exact same problem has been happening to me for a little over a month to me. Don't bother asking customer service for support, I've been at it with them for the entire month and to no avail. I as well as you have a really good computer (2600k 4.5Ghz - Gtx 780 Ti - Samsung 830 SSD and a 200mb symmetrical internet bandwidth and my ISP doesn't even throttle). They have made me believe its my problem this entire time these are the things that they made me do instead of owning up that its a server sided problem (which they'll still won't admit or try to look into):
    -Undo any overclocking
    -Troubleshoot router
    -Troubleshoot modem
    -Manage QOS
    -Speak to my ISP see if they limit my connection at peak hours
    -Disable surround and additional monitors (I have 3)
    -Repair game
    -Uninstall/reinstall
    -Run game consultant for a thorough diagnostic
    -Check modems power and noise values
    -Confirm a healthy power supply 12V value
    -Connect directly to the moden and bypass the router (lol)
    -Reset DNS cache to delete any bad routes
    -Port Forward the following ports in both TCP and UDP:
    *24100-24131
    *24500-24507
    *23130-23137
    -Add exceptions to your anti virus firewall (for ESO ofc)
    -Lower your graphics settings (gtx 780 ti fastest single gpu card in existence, really?)
    -Disable broswer add blockers
    -Close all applications that might be consuming any bandwidth

Yup, that's about half of the stuff they made me do I'm just not in the mood to keep on browsing through the dozens of emails I've had with CS. Solution? Non existant.
  • Bayezid
    Bayezid
    ✭✭
    I bought the ES Imperial edition.They said the imperial edition gives you "Premium costumer support" but clearly that was a lie. Instead they ignored all my requests and clearly did not give a ***.

Well whatever their reason,when my 1 month subscription plan is done on June 7th. there is high chance i'll stop playing this game unless they get their act together.
  • Charlie007
    Charlie007
    Soul Shriven
    Get the same issue now all the time... Don't even have to be in a group. Basically i get to the character screen, unknown error. Have tried all of the suggested stuff except reinstalling the game (am on mobile broadband so would rather not). Seems like this is clearly a problem on their end.

It's so disappointing that I paid full price for this game, then upgraded it to Imperial edition 2 days ago. Pay subscription fee and everything, still they can't even make the game work for me. Can I have my money back? At least for the upgrade I have basically not been able to use at all (Imperial).
  • Brabok
    Brabok
    ✭✭✭
    It's been said before and I'll say it again.
    Most of the time the Unknown Error is caused by Addons.
    So the first step of trouble shooting should be to disable all addons, check if the problem is gone and then, one by one, reactivate them.

mind you, though it is most of the time it does not mean addons are always the cause.
    I noticed, myself, that the problem can also occur with an unstable internet connection.
    I had some major packetloss a while back due to a faulty distributor box outside the house giving me the Unknown Error and a rake of other error messages amongst some serious headakes.. Called ISP and they fixed it. Since then i have a clean , trouble free gaming experience... well.. mostly anyways
    Never argue with Idiots
    They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
  • Charlie007
    Charlie007
    Soul Shriven
    Brabok wrote: »
    It's been said before and I'll say it again.
    Most of the time the Unknown Error is caused by Addons.
    So the first step of trouble shooting should be to disable all addons, check if the problem is gone and then, one by one, reactivate them.

mind you, though it is most of the time it does not mean addons are always the cause.
    I noticed, myself, that the problem can also occur with an unstable internet connection.

Hello and thanks for your reply. I have no add ons what so ever installed. So its definitely not that.

And I - together with ESO Support - have already checked my internet connection, and it's not the problem.

Any other ideas what might help to do?

• N0madS0uL
    N0madS0uL
    Same issue here and I also tried everything had routers changed lines check etc and still have issues. I am at a loss here
    We have contacted our Customer support team to help you solve your issue.
  • Flame95
    Flame95
    Soul Shriven
    I have the same problem of Unknown Error BUT I can play my other characters just fine. And one of the other characters is grouped with same account as the problem character.
  • Flame95
    Flame95
    Soul Shriven
    ESO emailed me back and moved me to a different land. Seems the quest Legacy of the Three has problems. They said not to go into the cave until they have had a chance to fix the bug. :)
  • Oxmate
    Oxmate
    Soul Shriven
    Rollback your grahpics drivers beta drivers seem to have these problems