The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What are cooldowns?

Caroloces
Caroloces
✭✭✭✭✭
I've seen this term many times, but never quite sure what it means. My character just made a potion (tincture of health) and it has a 30 second cooldown.
Thanks for any help.
Caroloces
  • Salsadoom
    Salsadoom
    ✭✭✭
    You can't use another for 30 seconds
  • TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭
    To clarify, it would be a global cooldown for all potions, not just the one you used. When you use a potion, you will not be able to use another potion for 30 seconds.
  • Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. Do cooldowns pertain to anything else besides potions, like spells for instance?
  • Svann
    Svann
    ✭✭✭
    Procs often have cooldowns (maybe always). For instance the ashen grip set procs a breath flame that will only go once every 4 seconds.
  • Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but what's a proc? Man, am I displaying my ignorance! :#
  • Csub
    Csub
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proc is when there is a chance that an effect will occur upon attack. Like when a skill says there is 10% chance to apply a heal upon striking or something like that, or check Fighter`s Guild Silver Bolt ability for example, it has a chance to deal a huge amount of damage on Daedra and Undead enemies. That is also a proc. :D
    "The Divines gave you a nose for a reason, Tharn. So you can keep your mouth shut and still keep breathing. - Lyris Titanborn
  • Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks!
  • TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭
    Skills can also have cooldowns (ie. a delay before you can use the skill again). Typically this is a short period of time, though in some games there may be some skills that have much longer cooldowns. Usually there is an indicator that shows you that the ability is in cooldown.

This game claimed to not have skill cooldowns, but apparently they have "internal cooldowns" which basically means cooldowns that we can't see. This explains why certain skills seem so sluggish and unresponsive.
  • JessieColt
    JessieColt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anything that has a delay before you can use it again has a Cooldown (sometimes shortened to CD).

Some things, like skills, may have a short cooldown. 5 Seconds, 10 Seconds, etc.

Others have longer cooldowns, like potions or food. 30 seconds.

Vampire and WW bites have a 7 day cooldown. Meaning that someone who is a Vamp or WW can only bite another player once ever 7 days.

• DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proc is an abbreviated term for "procedure" or "special procedure". It's a triggered effect when certain conditions are met (though often the conditions comprise nothing more than a random chance occurrence). Over time, the term has been redefined by some users as an abbreviation for "programmed random occurrence", but that's a bit of a misnomer since not all procs are random (ie.. When using a skill or item that has an added bonus should you be attacking from stealth/invis/behind, that added bonus is a proc, it just has a more specific condition to be met).
    Edited by DenverRalphy on May 25, 2014 4:31AM