The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A question about sound

Tannakaobi
Tannakaobi
✭✭✭✭✭
I have a problem and I was wondering If I am the only one. I have my PC set up to my stereo so I can make use of the surround sound. (I don't own regular speakers)

The problem is that for some reason I need to face the NPC that is talking in order to hear them, as if I hear with my eyes. This is a problem during story quests where the NPC talking is behind you

Is there a way I can change this? I don't see why it would be because of my stereo. Does anyone else have this happen? Is there a solution?

It's a daft system in my opinion, I have played loads of games including things like Rocksmith and never had a problem with sound before.

Any help will be much appreciated.
  • Tannakaobi
    Tannakaobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So no one has this problem then?
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You might want to give people a little more than thirteen minutes to answer you. And no, I'm not experiencing the problem because all I've got is regular speakers that came with an old Dell about ten years ago.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tannakaobi wrote: »
    So no one has this problem then?
    I use a pair of skullcandy headphones, so no.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • robynheraty_ESO
    robynheraty_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I've never experienced this problem, and I was in the persistent beta so have been playing for quite a while. I'm using fairly inexpensive speakers that plug into my desktop. Does your speaker system work for surround sound during movies? If the problem isn't with your stereo system, then it might be the way you have your audio configured in the game.
  • Tannakaobi
    Tannakaobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the problem isn't with your stereo system, then it might be the way you have your audio configured in the game.

Aye, that's what I was getting at. Since I made this thread I have tried with earphones straight into my PC and still have the same problem.

As far as I know I am still with the default audio settings. The only thing I have changed is the music volume. The sound is fine with everything. I can here ambient sounds fine, combat, voice sounds are even fine when in the chat mode zoom into face thing.

The only time I have this issue is when NPC's are talking either to me or each other and I am not facing them directly. It doesn't matter how close I am to them. If I am facing them it's fine. It's frustrating because I often miss the witty banter between Abnur Tharn and Lyris.

• Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've experienced this issue in the past, but not on ESO. Surround sound in games is directional, if you face something you can hear it better than if you don't.

When I experienced your issue, it was due to the game registering my sound system as 2-speaker stereo or headphone.

Please verify your audio settings are configured to output surround sound. Please verify the in-game settings match.

If those check out, try turning on Loudness Equalization. It compresses the range of sounds to a more averaged output.

If that doesn't work, or doesn't satisfy you, you could try using Speaker Fill. It doesn't sound as good, but will increase output volume in all speakers.

As an alternative, you could tinker with Room Correction, if your speaker software supports it. In theory, with tweaking, you could use this to equalize the volume per-speaker to taste.
    [beta_group_85b_9]