The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Making a spear-themed character?

Lynx7386
Lynx7386
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I had started levelling a templar, going for the paladin-esque setup of 2h mace and some heals/buffs. However, I'm leaning more towards the idea of a spear themed character now. I've always liked polearm style weapons, and like so many others was disappointed to see them excluded from this game.

Templars obviously have several spear style abilities through the aedric spear line, but to me it feels strange going from a big mace or a 1h/shield to a light-spear out of nowhere. I noticed, however, that the Altmer (high elf) staffs all have a spear-like appearance, with a bladed/pointed tip, so when using aedric spear abilities it gives a more fluid transition between your physical weapon and the holy spear.

Anyone tried to make a setup like this yet? Using those spear abilities is going to be mana intensive, so I'm thinking 5 light / 2 heavy, with the heavy pieces on chest and shoulders to maintain the warrior-esque look. Biting Jabs, aurora javelin, radial sweep, and charge as the main offensive abilities, with maybe restoring aura or a heal on there as well for the primary bar.

Resto staff on both bars (altmer style), with the secondary bar being dedicated to actual healing and buffing abilities to support allies in group pvp. Thoughts?
PS4 / NA
M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭
    I guess a staff may look more like a spear, though it will look nothing like a spear, and certainly not like a polearm, when you are attacking. It would be a cosmetic factor, and nothing like fighting with a polearm/spear. To me that would not be a spear themed based character, which in my mind is melee based. It will look more like a spear when it is on your back and, maybe, when you are just standing there, but when you start swirling it around in a circle, to attack with magic, it will look far less like a spear.

Also, to keep that appearance you will need to craft your own weapons every few levels, since most staffs you find don't have that look. Two each time if you are using a staff on both bars.

I see nothing wrong with going sword and shield. Greek/Spartan spear and shield wielding hoplites also carried swords, and switched to them when needed.

That said, there is nothing wrong with going with resto staff. It will work fine...I'm just not sure that it will give you the "feel" that you are looking for.

<shrugs>

While I do not have your specific setup, I have 1H+S on one bar and resto staff on the other. Yes, spears use magicka, as does healing, so that will be your primary focus. Since i knew that I would be using spears a lot I started putting all my points into Magicka until i hit the soft cap then i began putting points into health. One way or another you will hit the soft cap on magicka, through a combination of stats and equipment (provided that you focus on it).

I started with 5light/2heavy, but later moved to 5 heavy/2 light. I primarily melee, when not healing, so I wanted to be a bit tankier. It works great. I have no problem with magicka because I am always at or around the soft cap. You would probably have less of an issue since the resto staff will be replenishing magicka for you.