The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Septima Tharn - "To Walk on Far Shores" quest - any advice?

Wavemoore
Wavemoore
✭✭
I'm V5 trying to complete what I think is the last zone quest in Bankgorai (sp?) to move on to the V6 content. However, I've hit a wall with this Septima Tharn boss. As soon as I attack her, she clones herself and proceeds to nuke the living hell out of me. I can't keep up even with heals from the resto staff.

I'm a sorc with 7/7 light. I've tried damage shields, heals, storm atronach ultimates, but this fight never makes it past 30 seconds. Everything I've read seems to indicate that she will at some point spawn a bunch of adds. I haven't seen any comments about her cloning. Is this something new, or am I just getting owned so fast that I never see the adds?

This is after the 1.1.2 patch, and I've noticed an big uptick in difficulty overall in the zone, so I'm wondering if this fight got buffed/changed to be harder somehow?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
jb
  • petikozmyeb17_ESO
    These are the skills i used to kill her. One for fighting her and one when the adds came. With the critical surge active i just pull all the adds she summoned and aoe nuke them, all of them at once. It is not a problem if you are not vampire, that ultimate is not necessary but very useful. I got 40%crit so while critical surge lasts my aoe crits heal me so i can not die. I can't remember if you can keep her stunned with destructive clench, if you can just do that and use weapon attack. Slow but effective. If it does not working you can still heal yourself with dark conversion.
    Edited by petikozmyeb17_ESO on May 23, 2014 2:42AM
  • Wavemoore
    Wavemoore
    ✭✭
    So is the cloning at the very start normal? I'm not seeing any adds. It's just two copies of her lighting me up. Maybe I'm just not surviving long enough? I have a damage meter that showed I took 976.5 damage per SECOND on my last attempt. Barely got a few spells off.
  • Noobie
    Noobie
    ✭✭
    she clones herself? Dc is my main faction and when i fought her she just spawn a army of undead which you aoe to death, then continue fighting septima till she spawns more undead.
  • Wavemoore
    Wavemoore
    ✭✭
    Noobie wrote: »
    she clones herself? Dc is my main faction and when i fought her she just spawn a army of undead which you aoe to death, then continue fighting septima till she spawns more undead.

Yeah, from everything I've read that's how it's supposed to go. I guess this fight got changed with this latest patch. The way it's playing out now is she's standing there in all her glory with 13K+ health, and as soon as I hit her she clones into a second version of herself with the same amount of health. They don't seem to share health pools and are both casters. I never get to a point where adds come out.
  • Crassius
    Crassius
    ✭✭✭
    NPC's can't swim.
    Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll...
    Everything I say is just my opinion. Like it or not - that's all it is.
  • Wavemoore
    Wavemoore
    ✭✭
    Crassius wrote: »
    NPC's can't swim.
    Understood, and I did try to swim away to heal up. I got finished off from ACROSS THE WATER with one of her lightning spells.
  • Noobie
    Noobie
    ✭✭
    well try this , well might not work but try and LoS her using the pillars and range her to death, will take forever but seriously she was hard on normal fighting 2 of her would be impossible.
  • Crassius
    Crassius
    ✭✭✭
    Strange, she never could reach me when i did it. I went over to the top left as you come into that area.

They've probably changed it to make it impossible now. My condolences.
    Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll...
    Everything I say is just my opinion. Like it or not - that's all it is.
  • Wavemoore
    Wavemoore
    ✭✭
    Crassius wrote: »
    Strange, she never could reach me when i did it. I went over to the top left as you come into that area.

They've probably changed it to make it impossible now. My condolences.

LOL, Crassius, condolences just may be the right sentiment.

• Gisgo
    Gisgo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG she is such a ... chore.
    I dont remember how i beated her probably lame kiting her...
    GL. ;)
  • Kachemak
    Kachemak
    I think they bugged it in the last patch. She clones herself, BOTH of them spawn an army, and only one will die (once you've killed the first, the other goes Energizer Bunny on you and keeps going and going and going...even at 0 hp). Killing the first does finish the quest, but you have to survive long enough to talk to Emeric and the other guy and get the heck out of Dodge. I finished it, but only because of the Sorc Dark Magic Rune Cage let me stun the immortal one long enough to talk to the NPCs. I don't know how you'd do it with other classes.
  • Vengitto55
    Vengitto55
    Soul Shriven
    I'm having the same issue. I have seen youtube vids of this fight and there was no cloning. As it is, its almost impossible for me as a nightblade to survive. I can get to the first wave of adds and that's it... she hits me for like 1k damage with that lightning strike and 250ish per fireball.
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Vengitto55‌ Dude you left out your awesome screenshot.

Screenshot_20140523_213443_zps6abf379e.png

Don't try to Siphon Emeric, it doesn't work!

Anyways, do you have leeching strikes?

*edit*
    For OP,

DC is my 1-50, not sure about DC+ but Septima IMHO isn't a problem. Just remember to block the fireball and evade the thunder.
    Edited by Aeradon on May 24, 2014 6:46AM
    People keep telling me they're gonna buy me an ale. They never do.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

Help make this compilation complete!
    Compilation of Ideas and Suggestions
  • Monkeywithtacos
    Monkeywithtacos
    ✭✭✭
    Having the same issues...I did it on my main DC character about a week ago...pre Craglorn update...and she DID NOT clone herself.....just tried it 5 times on my next DC char and she clones herself and they both summon the undead hordes.....It has to be bugged and I hope they address this quickly along with the "memory leak" that was introduced with the Craglorn patch as well....
  • aipex8_ESO
    aipex8_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here. It's gotta be bugged. Guess I'm blocked from moving on to AD :/
  • thirdeyeopen1982_ESO
    thirdeyeopen1982_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Probably the most demoralizing bug I have ran into. I am level 42 trying to finish this quest. I have tried over 15 times and tons of techniques. I always get her double right after I jump her, and then sometimes she will disappear. She even glitched on top of the pillars one fight lolz. The biggest kick in the nuts is the fact that after all this, I defeated her ONLY to have her life bar at ZERO and guess what, she doesn't die. This is ranked among the worst bugs I have ever seen. I have been more than patient with bugs in this game, but it is starting to wear on me. If this is not fixed soon, I am cancelling my sub and taking my business elsewhere.
  • Skewki
    Skewki
    ✭✭
    @Wavemoore, Bring another person with you. I waited in the room by the npc that gives you the last part of the quest before you encounter Septima, and grouped with the first person that came along. might take a while, but it's worth the wait.
    If she's cloning herself still, bring more people i guess
    Edited by Skewki on May 24, 2014 8:55AM
  • Ojustaboo
    Ojustaboo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was just about to post the same question

Level 43

First time she spawned an army but I died, every other time she clones herself, one I can get down to 0 but doesn't die, the other I cant actually hit.
  • eydarr
    eydarr
    I was able to kill her even with the double copies. This takes advantage of the NPC pathing. I wouldn't consider it an exploit as everything can still attack you. The main advantage is protection from the lightning spell she sends forth for 1600 damage+. Especially when fighting the multiple mobs its impossible to dodge it, fight the mobs, etc.

You have to use the closet statue to the left when you run in. Stand on the statue pedestal. This will protect you from most of the spells being thrown at you by the boss. You can still be damaged, but as a healer it gave me time to heal and regain my mana. The multiple add spawns still could attack me too. However they split up enough where it wasnt to much of an issue and at least I wasnt getting hit with the lightning spell.

There are not a lot of other options until it is fixed.
  • TheMachineKiller
    TheMachineKiller
    ✭✭✭
    I abandoned this quest because of her not spawning her army anymore. And now I have no idea where to pick this quest up again.
    Vehemence
    Solo Extraordinaire
      Miss Machine - AD Wolfskull - DC Ok Cool - DC Wheremigoin - DC
  • Adzzy
    Adzzy
    Soul Shriven
    i killed her using the western area across from her island, jump into water doing an attack, run back, rinse repeat til 1 dies (including the ghosts), the 2nd one can't die at all, so i went all the way back to the zone entrance (didn't leave, just until the fight ended) to reset the fight and snuck around behind her for the turn in
    Edited by Adzzy on May 24, 2014 2:43PM
  • Wavemoore
    Wavemoore
    ✭✭
    Skewki wrote: »
    @Wavemoore, Bring another person with you. I waited in the room by the npc that gives you the last part of the quest before you encounter Septima, and grouped with the first person that came along. might take a while, but it's worth the wait.
    If she's cloning herself still, bring more people i guess

Skewki, well, thanks! I honestly thought that was one of those solo instance bosses. Got a group and cleared it even with the bug. Thanks for this suggestion!

And thanks all for the tips, very helpful
  • Rissq
    Rissq
    You can do the fight with a full group of 4 players. So I defiantly recommend doing that. Especially having a dedicated healer will help out. I don't know if the content is still bugged, but when I did it yesterday two Septima's spawned and that was real annoying to deal with.
  • thirdeyeopen1982_ESO
    thirdeyeopen1982_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    The thing that pisses me off the most is I am able to defeat her and get her health bar to zero, but she won't die. I can deal with the duplicate, but it's just tragic all my hard work to get her down just for her unable to die. I logged off, waited till the morning and tried again, still broke and I am now contemplating canceling my sub.
    Edited by thirdeyeopen1982_ESO on May 24, 2014 5:30PM
  • Wavemoore
    Wavemoore
    ✭✭
    Yes it's still bugged as of about an hour ago. The invulnerable copy is a pain, as she will prevent you from talking to the NPC for quest turn in. If you have a stun, use it and quickly turn in the quests. I just dropped my storm atronach on her and it seemed to buy me enough time. Good luck all!
  • Damien_Uvirith
    I'm having the same issue for Cadwell's Silver, and have had times when she WOULDN'T clone, but is then invincible and in the words of Kachemak above, keeps Energizer Bunnying it and never dies...

Very frustrating, hoping they fix this asap.
  • Minsc
    Minsc
    ✭✭✭
    Same problem , very frustrating bug and obviously stops progression as it is linked to Cadwell's Almanac.
    We were a group of 3 , she replicated herself straight away, one clone who will not die and the 2nd (?) that we could not even attack ( HP bar will not go down after 40% ) despite resetting her......
  • JinShepard01
    JinShepard01
    ✭✭✭
    To defeat this, only one of the two actually dies, I dont know if we were lucky or not, but after 10 attempts we finally did it, we were about to give up, and I decided randomly to attack theone still on 30% hp, did a few executes, and she died, shocked at what happend, I quickely pressed the quest npc dailog, spammed 1 to get out, because the other twin was still killing and owning.
    Why do people complain?
    ''Because players want to provide feedback and help shape a product they still see as having the potential to be great.''
  • Lyall84
    Lyall84
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same here, been trying every day for 5 days, still impossible.

EDIT, as of 0100 EST, it appears that the cloning issue is gone, but she still spawns close to 24 of the ghosts, so still really tough

EDIT 2, cleared ghosts using dawnbreaker
    Edited by Lyall84 on May 26, 2014 5:17AM
  • PaulD
    PaulD
    ✭✭✭
    Reading this almost makes me regret that they fixed it, because the battle of the undying twin sounds damned epic.