Maintenance for the week of June 3:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – June 3, 2:00AM EDT (6:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 5, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – June 5, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Black screen after hitting play is back....

HerbZula
HerbZula
✭✭
Man you guys are terrible with putting out patches. Every time you deploy a new one its a nightmare to log in.

Keep getting stuck on the black screen after hitting play just like in the beta except this times it says ESO has stopped responding. This is not beta and now you killing lots of peoples paid for time.

Edit: Here is the fix found by @mrtrask23‌
After 3 days of searching I discovered which strings in the user settings files were needed to clear up Black Screen after Play issues: The following strings failed to update in the file: Hope these help, just add them to the UserSettings.txt file save.

SET DisableFXPrecaching "1"
SET PreferExclusiveFullscreen "0"
SET RequestedNumJobThreads "0"
SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads "0"
SET MonsterTellsEnabled "1"
Edited by HerbZula on May 26, 2014 3:31AM
  • loopypanda
    Yup. I"m having the same issue. Tried run as Admin. Tried compatibility mode. Nothing worked. And the game worked fine before the patch. Something in the patch messed it up.
    Haejung - EP Breton Nightblade
    Something-Pithy - EP Breton Templar
    Hot Shovel - EP Redguard Templar
    Pants On Fyre - EP Dunmer DK
    Options
  • wretch200
    wretch200
    ✭✭✭
    I'm having the same issue as well :(
    Edited by wretch200 on May 22, 2014 11:09PM
    Options
  • Breetai_SDF1
    Breetai_SDF1
    ✭✭
    Same here, but for me I get about an hour of play, then the game will crash. Upon restarting the game I get the black screen and the crash reporter.

Just closing and opening the launcher does not work, nor does a simple restart of my pc.

The only thing that gets me back into the game, is to shutdown my pc and turn it back on, then opening the launcher and starting the game.

This works for about another hour, before it happens again.
    - Downtime Defender -
    “Conquering end-game content without really trying”
    Options
  • Nupeman
    Nupeman
    Soul Shriven
    Anyone found a fix for this? I'm having the same issue. I worked fine before the patch. I think it has something to do with the game defaulting to true fullscreen. Can you devs return it the way it was before default with giving the option to go fullscreen?
    Options
  • wretch200
    wretch200
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying reinstalling the entire game. I will update you all on what I find.
    Options
  • Nupeman
    Nupeman
    Soul Shriven
    I had my screen windowed (smaller than fullscreen window) and it still is the same small size but now it has an infinite black screen after I hit play on the launcher.
    Options
  • HerbZula
    HerbZula
    ✭✭
    Just tried it again and it didnt work....... I have been defending ESO to people i know that are being haters. Looks like i need to stop
    Options
  • gabesdad10ub17_ESO
    gabesdad10ub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I'm also having this issue. Tried shutting down and restarting my computer, and I just get a big black screen with my mouse loading, and that's it. Been playing since the beginning without any issues until today's patch.
    Options
  • PVT_Parts
    PVT_Parts
    ✭✭✭
    same problem here
    Options
  • PVT_Parts
    PVT_Parts
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: change file to not include screenname.
    Edited by PVT_Parts on May 23, 2014 4:46AM
    Options
  • PVT_Parts
    PVT_Parts
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a fix. Switch these from -1 or 1 to "0". If they are not in your settings which is the problem for some, take mine it is already fixed. My documents-Elder scrolls online-live replace usersettings with this.

P.S. If this still doesn't work, set them to 1 and try again.
    Edited by PVT_Parts on May 23, 2014 5:15PM
    Options
  • Rox83
    Rox83
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks PvT pasting the 2nd line helped me
    Options
  • tpretender
    tpretender
    Soul Shriven
    This is *** loonytoons! Ever freaking patch since beta—I had no log in problems in beta--giving me problems to log in. I ending up spending mroe time fixing the game then playing it. I so far had to reinstall it 5 times and that takes 2 days each for me. Oddly I never had a log in issue with beta just a ton of crashes.

In anycase,
    1 I will never buy a Zenimax Online game again!
    2 PVT_Parts fix worked for me after I Spent 10hours trying all the old tricks and searching the web tons for the answaer.

I was missing SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads "0." After adding it it worked right away.
    I already had SET RequestedNumJobThreads and it was already "0"
    Options
  • xherics
    xherics
    ✭✭✭
    I tried everything possible, also the settings txt file, but nothing helps... Zenimax again did it... Created support ticket, but I think, there will be no answer... I started to repair the game, after a NEW download, but it is downloading again from beginning... NOW with speed 1,1mB/s... It will take XX hours by this way... THANK YOU ZENIMAX!
    Guild: HODOR - EU - Ebonheart Pact
    Char: Leliana fxn (Sorc) and Nuria fxn (DK)
    World first Sanctum Ophidia Time trial achievement unlock with my Sorcerer (v1.5.7)
    World second Sanctum Ophidia Hard Mode achievement unlock with my Sorcerer (v1.5.8)
    Pre-nerf Dragonstar Arena Hard Mode Conqueror with my Sorcerer

"Sorcerer is for me a definition of the highest level of magician, what does not mean pets, but pure magic, pure spells.
    Pure magic from the heart, through the blood, to the last hairbreadth...
    Sorcerer means the highest magic killer with pure magic, not the weakest grandmamma's pet farm."

11.02.2015 - Magicka Sorcerer RIP - What? Sorcerer and not using spells/magicka?
    19.02.2015 - Sorcerers, we have a new hope!
    Options
  • Lucusmontem
    Lucusmontem
    ✭✭
    Edited the UserSettings file as described, but to no avail, and I'm not going to download the 22GB additional data Repair requests. Guess I'll check back tomorrow or next week for a hotfix... sigh. Thanks for trying though @PVT_Parts‌.
    Options
  • Monkeyshoeslive
    Monkeyshoeslive
    ✭✭✭
    No luck for me either. Cheers though @PVT_Parts‌
    Options
  • PVT_Parts
    PVT_Parts
    ✭✭✭
    Also, if the fix setting them to 0 doesn't work. Try setting them to 1. That fixed it for a few people as well.
    Options
  • Nupeman
    Nupeman
    Soul Shriven
    PVT, For me it is a half fix. I'm now pass the black screen but I'm not connected to the server. I'm not getting any announcements and when I try to log in, I can't connect to server. It's almost as if the link to connect is gone.
    Options
  • Garyc_ESO
    Garyc_ESO
    I'm surprised my UserSettings file did not contain these two lines. I added them, and now I can at least get to the login screen. Yay. Thank you. Zenimax should pay you PVT for your work around.
    Options
  • Nupeman
    Nupeman
    Soul Shriven
    Any methods on how to get pass login screen?
    Options
  • Treize26
    Treize26
    Soul Shriven
    Adding:
    To the UserSettings file fixed the issue for my wife, thanks!
    Options
  • Rattleballs
    Rattleballs
    Soul Shriven
    Even after adding SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads and alternating it between "1" & "0" I still can not get to the login screen :(
    Options
  • Kirky
    Kirky
    ✭✭✭
    Tried repairing (several times) checking my drivers etc. were up to date and now I'm going to try @Pvt_Parts Usersettings file fix, will post the result here.

-crosses fingers-
    @Kirky_Lad [EU/AD]
    Options
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PVT_Parts Thank you so much for these 2 lines:

They weren't even in my usersettings file, I don't know why.
    It's like in the beta when many people didn't have this file in the first place, me neither. Odd that different people get different files from the very same installer.

Thanks again, the game works fine now :-)
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

Options
  • HerbZula
    HerbZula
    ✭✭
    Nonsense. Still nothing. I am not going to jump through hoops to get a game i have paid for to work when the devs broke it. Fix this *** or give me my money back, been unable to play sence the patch came out.
    Options
  • mrtrask23
    mrtrask23
    ✭✭✭
    After 3 days of searching I discovered which strings in the user settings files were needed to clear up Black Screen after Play issues: The following strings failed to update in the file: Hope these help, just add them to the UserSettings.txt file save.

Options
  • HerbZula
    HerbZula
    ✭✭
    mrtrask23 wrote: »

Well done sir. ESO should hire you for quality control

Edit: Lol, Still not resubscribing
    Edited by HerbZula on May 26, 2014 3:30AM
    Options
  • dekameo
    dekameo
    I think everything is correct in my usersettings.txt now but its still not working for me. Starting to think I've wasted a fair amount of money on this game..
    Options
  • Kemono
    Kemono
    ✭✭✭
    dekameo wrote: »
    I think everything is correct in my usersettings.txt now but its still not working for me. Starting to think I've wasted a fair amount of money on this game..

If previous seting are not working, you can always check
    SET SkipPregameVideos "1"

btw this only make you skip first 2 videos, and should move you directly into login screen, but it worked for some other players in the past with "black screen after Start"
    Edited by Kemono on May 26, 2014 8:26AM
    Options
  • dekameo
    dekameo
    I already have it set that way. But thank you for the tip.
    Options