Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Can we get a little Balance please?

Enkil
Enkil
✭✭✭✭✭
I've been thinking a lot about how unbalanced the game is currently.

I think the ideal solution to resolve these issues would be to.....
  1. ... discard the current classes and incorporate the abilities into more traditional Elder Scrolls skill lines (i.e. Destruction, Conjuration, Restoration, Weapon lines, etc.)
  2. ...do away with classes altogether as is the Elder Scrolls hallmark.
  3. ...allow players to use the skill lines they like which would open up vast new realm of almost limitless possibilities.
    (Google ArcheAge if u think this is outside the realm of possibility in an MMO)

I would like to know what others think.....

To put it in perspective, let's consider it from the vantage point of a new player....

/sarcasm

Weapons... total freedom
  • No Ultimates tho!!!
    How can anyone inflict damage on their opponent with a weapon?!?

• Two-handed weapons
    No, No, No.. you need to use a sword and shield or use a staff as your two-handed weapon. Anything else would be suicide.

• Dual-weapons
    Come on.. everyone know a staff is way better. Sure it looks good and intimidating but really..

Armor... total freedom
  • Heavy armor
    It's all about armor and health. Don't worry... you can just wear light armor and use skills to reach the soft cap in armor. Same thing with spell resists. Just join the Fighter's guild. Highly recommended. As far as health regen goes, there is no problem.. soft-caps are your friend.
  • Medium armor
    It's okay.. in fact if you wear medium armor, your healing will be better when using a healing staff.. because what do you know.. a healing staff is a weapon. Forget about that pesky restoration school... sounds theoretical to me.
  • Light armor
    This is where it's at tho! Even though most people don't want to wear a dress.. they will hold their noses and do it because it means you can use all of your abilities more often and not have any down time. What more could you ask for?

Skills... ??
  • Guild Skills
    They're well done but are very hard to level. Don't fret tho.. scour the map for every possible lore book you can find because reading lore books makes your Destruction skills better you know...

• Class skills
    Why not just play some totally made up, non-lore friendly class skill lines never before seen in Elder Scrolls. We are are in a Dark Age yo.. let's make everything up from scratch and pretend the past and future are irrelevant... Dragon+Knight.. well 1+1=2 so why not.

• You want to be a Healer..
    Well just play a Templar because... well all healers are devoted to Solar/Sun worship and smite their enemies with the power of Dawn's Wrath... Oh and btw, if you want to be most effective at healing you must use a healing staff. We are aware that there is a "Restoration school" of magic that does not require the use of a certain weapon type but... well nevermind that... you need to use a Restoration staff.

Oh, the name Templar conjures up an image of a heavy armor-wearing, shield-bearing warrior you say? Nonsense.. Who wears heavy armor these days?? Everyone knows with Light armor you expend less magicka and it's all about magicka these days.

• Oh, You want to be a scout instead?
    Sorry.. we only allow nightblades around these parts. Most of your powers will be magicka based. Sure, you may have an excellent constitution and great reserves of stamina, and want to use a bow.. but weapon choice is so secondary.. it's more important that you have a plethora of magicka based abilities to chose from...

Sure there are Scouts and Rangers all about in Tamriel but we'd rather not talk about that.

• So.. you'd rather be a tank then?
    Well even though Templar sounds like a tank.. it's meant to be a healer.. why not become a DragonKnight? everyone likes dragons.. you can even pretend you have their talons and root anyone you encounter.... but just so you know, you would be way better off wearing light armor and using a destruction staff.. but you can still have "Knight" in your name

• And after all that you want to be a mage huh?
    Unforunately, it's not that simple. If you want to be a pyromancer.. well you may want to be a Dragonknight or a Templar (sun=fire... right?)... Don't you want be a stormcaller and shoot lighting bolts all over the place. I know, I know there are the Illusion, Destruction, Conjuration, Alteration and Restoration schools of magic but.. but.. well you need to call yourself a Sorcerer if you want to conjure anything.. and likewise if you want to use destruction magic you must wield a staff...

/sarcasm off
Edited by Enkil on 29 May 2014 07:02
  • Enkil
    Enkil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn.. perhaps I needed to add a meaningless poll (due to low sample size) to garner a response....