Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Steam In-Home Streaming - Play ESO on old hardware

mcfaen
mcfaen
So I wanted to use my MacBook Pro to play ESO to be more social with my wife. She complains that I use too much time down in the basement in front of my PC ^^

But my MacBook is a 13" Mid 2010 with NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB graphics, 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo cpu and 4 gb ram and wont run ESO playable at all.

Then I read an article about Steam In-Home Streaming. Knowing that ESO was not available in Steam I started reading trough the Steam community forum to see if it was possible to play anyway. I found out that ESO runs fine, just add non-steam game to library (menu).

I usually play ESO on my PC (i7 cpu, 2xgtx 780sli ++). But it is at a friends house atm. So I started my iMac running win8 bootcamp. Logged onto Steam both on my iMac and macbook and there ESO showed up in the list of games. Started it and thinking of all warnings about that you need a gigabit wired network for this to work, crossed my fingers ... And it runs SMOOTH, both computers are wireless!!!!! =D =D =D The only thing I changed from default settings in in-home streaming (on the server, imac) was scale to 1280 x 800 same as my macbook.

So now I run a videostream of my 1920x1080 resolution on 1280x800 macbook screen. Well the chat text is a bit small ^^.

Well anyway, the point was that if you want to play on a laptop that has slow hardware try Steam In-Home Streaming!!!!!!! It works great on ESO!

Note to mods: this is not a mac thread! =)
Edited by mcfaen on 28 May 2014 19:58
  • daveben007b14a_ESO
    This is pretty sweet I'm gonna give it a try.
  • Loxy37
    Loxy37
    ✭✭✭✭
    All they have to do is make it run on my tablet with a Xbox controller and I'd be happy. Nice info though and thanks for sharing.
  • Erris
    Erris
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, gonna try this! It would be great if I could go chill in the living room with my laptop and just take care of banking and crafting and stuff like that while I watch a movie...