Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

So, here's what I'm getting... (Non-standard build discussion)

Rosanna_Foxfire
I play a sorcerer.

I play a sorcerer with Medium Armor, Dual Weilding, a Bow, the majority of my abilities are Stormcalling, with Degeneration and Silver Shards to help survivability and killing vampires/werewolves/daedra.

In my journey through to VR9, PvPing weekly with my guild, and questing. It took me a while to find that workable end guild, but by the time I did, I started to wonder things.

Are wonky builds like mine even viable? There's almost nothing I could find in my (admittedly minutes of) searching to look up a build in the style I wanted, so I made my own.

It seems to work well, barring some bosses (Molag Bal, Mannimarco, and Septima Tharn being the big names) that I remember being painful fights where I had to leave and repair. And one on one I still have trouble in PvP, though I'm not sure if this is Dragon Knights or other classes.

I've not min-maxed, but I've gone for what felt like fun, and suited the character I was playing.

So I wonder, do you think the game is designed for these wonky unthought of builds? Am I gimping myself by not playing optimally for my class? Or is this what the game was designed to work with?

• yiasemi
    yiasemi
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe the game was designed for enjoyment, and it helps to know what you like. I play in much the same way, though i will listen to others experiences of what has worked for them if I am not too concerned. The very fact of being a dual wielding NB in medium armor tells you I'm not a power leveller. [whisper] I even go fishing!! :s what a loser!! B)
  • Rosanna_Foxfire
    yiasemi wrote: »
    I believe the game was designed for enjoyment, and it helps to know what you like. I play in much the same way, though i will listen to others experiences of what has worked for them if I am not too concerned. The very fact of being a dual wielding NB in medium armor tells you I'm not a power leveller. [whisper] I even go fishing!! :s what a loser!! B)

Gasp! Fishing! But there's no reward for fishing! What is this "fun" of which you speak?

In all seriousness, I agree with you. I just wish that the harder bosses were a little less hard. I'm not averse to a challenge, but I rammed my head against a brick wall in the Mannimarco and Molag Bal fights.
  • ebunts14_ESO
    ebunts14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    This thread would be better suited for the pve forum and in the Skill Line sub-forums.
    Edited by ebunts14_ESO on 29 May 2014 06:26
  • yiasemi
    yiasemi
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure, even Mannimarco and Molag Bal have strategies that work against them, I suppose with builds like ours we just have to work harder to find them. As a nightblade I find the more I dance out of the way of heavy damage, the longer I survive. I make enough money from crafting for frequent visits to armor hospital.
    :# It's a reasonably forgiving game, as I believe it was designed to be. Awesome to have got to VR9 this way. My hat's off to you, if I wore one. Like most women in this game I am too vain...another self-inflicted nerf..
  • Rosanna_Foxfire
    Hehehe. There is an option to turn the helmet display off, I make use of that.

My only complaint is that after finishing all the actual quest content for the VR zones, I only got to VR9 and a quarter. Ah well. Craglorn awaits, and there are fish yet to be caught, and people to talk to. You are right, though, now that I know the basic strategies for those two fights, I probably won't have a problem on my alts.
  • yiasemi
    yiasemi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Damn never found that hat option, that'll teach me to read the manual, I just take it off out of fights and forget to put it on again haha
  • Rosanna_Foxfire
    It's in the Gameplay settings, I believe. It's character specific, like the controls and chat settings. Though I wish it weren't.