Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Sword and Board Nightblade tank?

forbarcusb16_ESO
forbarcusb16_ESO
✭✭✭
Hey everyone,

So on my main I have a sword-n-board nightblade tank, with a bow as a secondary weapon. The sword n board only works so far; and whenever I'm in Cyrodiil I can only take down enemies with my bow. It's really frustrating.
My abilities are:
Drain Essense
Funnel Health
Silver Shards
Shielded Assault
Leeching Strikes

Can anyone give me advice as to what I should have instead of those? At the moment the abilities are working for general PvE, dungeons and what have you, but in Cyrodiil it's pretty much useless.
"I'm guilty of a far more monstrous crime, I'm guilty of being a dwarf."
  • Harakh
    Harakh
    ✭✭✭
    /edit oh dont saw cyrodiil ;)

Edited by Harakh on 26 May 2014 11:01
    Die Welt in einem Sandkorn sehen
    Und den Himmel in einer wilden Blume;
    Die Unendlichkeit in der Handfläche halten
    Und die Ewigkeit in einer Stunde.
  • disexistencenub19_ESO
    Pvp builds are generally different from what a tank, or anyone for that matter, would use in pve or general questing. The first question is, what do you want to achieve in pvp? Do you want to roam around mostly solo and pick off people, or do you mainly group/zerg with the main force? I would build around one of those. Also, what is your main weakness/reason for dying ect?

I haven't actually brought my NB tank into pvp yet, so I can't really give you a direct build for it.
  • forbarcusb16_ESO
    forbarcusb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Well, in Cyrodiil I like to rush around in huge groups zerging, but more often than not I go off on my own to eliminate scouts and what have you; but when I meet a ranged enemy I rev up the lube because I'm sure as hell gonna get ass ***. In Cyrodiil I just want to protect myself in a way, as well as have a nice contribution to zerging and whatnot.

I also find PvE to be relatively slow, I can sure as hell survive but my damage output is minimal. I'd really like a bruiser nightblade, one that can survive for relatively long but can also take down targets easily. I've only ever noticed this in group dungeons, though.
    "I'm guilty of a far more monstrous crime, I'm guilty of being a dwarf."
  • Baphomet
    Baphomet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try:

1. dark cloak
    2. impale
    3. concealed weapons
    4. shielded assault
    5. funnel health
    - The Psijic Order
    - TKO
    - Dominant Dominion
    - The Noore
  • Mykah
    Mykah
    ✭✭✭
    There is not much you can do for tanking on a NB in Pvp.

Your best bet is to pick up evasion from medium armor line and run a Hist Bark crafted set on 5/7 Heavy Armor to max your dodge rating.
    Edited by Mykah on 26 May 2014 18:20
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am also NB and also have bow and sword and board. To be honest i like to pick 'm from a distance but i find my one-handed and shield quite usefull in PvP.

I sneak, do the dash run, hit m a few times, kill m. In combination with some NB skills it is pretty good. Yeah your not a tank and you can die but with blocking i could tank for a while some angry group who wanted to kill me which gave other players the chance to reach me and help.

I wanted to switch to dual blade, but i am to addicted to that shield bash dash run skill which name i forgot. Also it is fun sneaking, having someone mark you so they can see you sneaking. then hold up block and they mostly will teleport jump you. And then they are stunned and the hunter has become the shieldbashed.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Aoifesan
    Aoifesan
    ✭✭✭
    Mykah wrote: »
    There is not much you can do for tanking on a NB in Pvp.

Your best bet is to pick up evasion from medium armor line and run a Hist Bark crafted set on 5/7 Heavy Armor to max your dodge rating.

*cough* Assassination Evade morphed to stun *cough*
  • frwinters_ESO
    frwinters_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I play a sword and board NB in Cyrodil, Khajitt in all Medium armor:

1. Shield Charge (Invasion) - Stun
    2. Low Slash (Crippling Sladh) - Snare/Immobalize
    3. Veild Strike (Surprise Attack) - 40% Armor Pen, Stun from stealth
    4. Siphoning Strikes (Siphoning Attacks) - ALL attacks regen Magicka/Stamina.
    5. Shadow Cloak (Shadowy Disguise) - Invis then use Veild Strike, Crits and Stuns

Just started with this build and so far is working well for me. I also run a bow and tend to stay with the bow when we are facing a large force, then switch to S&B if i see a good oppurtunity, charge in, stun, law slash, hit a few times to regen magica/stam, they get up then i shadowy disguise, vield strike, etc etc.

Been working well so far.