Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Armor types need re-defining (light in particular)

Guppet
Guppet
✭✭✭✭✭
I think anyone that reads the forums much is aware of he problem that magica heavy builds are causing.

One of the biggest problems is caused by DK's being able to tank in light armor. If this itself was fixed, DK's would not be so overpowered.

ZOS clearly had a vision of what set ups should work best for each role, but the light armor issue is breaking it and causing huge balance issues.

Now people may try to say I should be able to tank in my light armor, it's play how you like here. Now that's great as a way to try and avoid fixing the issue, but ifs not true. If I want to be a healer, I sure as heck have to wear light armor and have to use healing staff.

So why is it not a problem that DK's can tank in light with a destro staff?

I think tanks should be guided to use heavy and shields, that should be the optimal set up for the guy that wants to take less damage.

Now for veriety, I would say make it possible in medium armor, but only with a shield. Or make it possible with any weapon, but only in heavy. That way it cant be abused like it currently is.

A set up of light armor and staff, should be the squishiest set up possible.

Fixing this would bring DK's inline without hammering those that are not abusing this.
  • Drasn
    Drasn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Guppet wrote: »
    Stuff

So what you are saying is that DK's are over powered so they should nerf light armor(a tree available to everyone).

Guess what. Sorcerers, Templars, and Nightblades can all tank in light armor(and use a destruction staff). Not a DK problem.

Source: I am a V11 Light Armor Tank Templar.
  • Guppet
    Guppet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stuff

So what you are saying is that DK's are over powered so they should nerf light armor(a tree available to everyone).

Guess what. Sorcerers, Templars, and Nightblades can all tank in light armor(and use a destruction staff). Not a DK problem.

Source: I am a V11 Light Armor Tank Templar.

It's the fact that anybody is tanking in light armor, DK's just get more out of it than most.

The clue is in it's name, it's light armor, not heavy armor. I know it's a fantasy game, but this is crazy.

As a Templar tank, what weapon are you using?
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think anyone that reads the forums much is aware of he problem that magica heavy builds are causing.
    Might be a problem, but sorcs have a magic intensive set of abilities (except that weak lightning bolt), so magicks builds are essential for Sorcerors.

You can play Sorcs with other armour, just as you can play the others in light armour, but it lacks synergy (please note correct use of the word), and feels slightly off as a result.

I agree that heavy Magicka builds with non-sorcs can cause problems, but if they reduce magicka builds then they need to rebalance the Magicka consumption.

In fact they probably need to rebalance magicka consumption across the classes anyhow.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • AinGeal
    AinGeal
    ✭✭✭
    I agree and as for the DK thing. It's the DK skills that allow them to get the armor and magic resist to tank in light armor. However, it's also true that the other classes can do so as well (just not as effectively). The whole thing was just not thought through.

The difference in protection from medium to heavy is greater than the drop in dps and yet, due to actives, passives, enchants, buffs, etc. you can reach soft caps in medium so you really don't have to give up anything.

There is no easy fix here. It needs to be completely reworked.
  • BGK
    BGK
    Soul Shriven
    Now for veriety, I would say make it possible in medium armor, but only with a shield. Or make it possible with any weapon, but only in heavy. That way it cant be abused like it currently is.

Sounds reasonable.
  • ShintaiDK
    ShintaiDK
    ✭✭✭
    Problem is balance wise, the game is in such a huge mess that I cant see any "easy" solution. in my eyes we talk something like complete revamps of the entire skillset.

Remember skills like immoveable and other stamina based skills that add large amounts of resists. Thats spamable on a magicka based user. Plus heavy armour for example hit softcaps just wearing regular non reinforced armour.
    Edited by ShintaiDK on 27 May 2014 14:43
  • Crisscross
    Crisscross
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's a problem if people want to tank in light armor. The problem is that no one WANTS to tank in HEAVY armor.

The issue is not the armor soft caps. I think the true root of the issue, and the main issue for alot of the problems in the game in general, is just how OP magicka based builds are. It's not just a problem for tanks; DPSers get the most out of light armor, levellers and AOE grinders get the most out of light armor, no one EVER wears heavy armor in PVP, even casuals and roleplayers complain about the lack of diversity because of this imbalance.

Just bringing magicka skills down and stamina skills up will make heavy armor more attractive for tanking and imo make alot of other issues fall better into place as well.
  • Guppet
    Guppet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crisscross wrote: »
    Just bringing magicka skills down and stamina skills up will make heavy armor more attractive for tanking and imo make alot of other issues fall better into place as well.

I think that would make medium more attractive, but still not heavy.

Maybe the keystone abilities from armor (like immovable) need to only be available when wearing 5 of that type of armor.

Its all an awfull mess, but they have 2 options now a complete re-work, or it will forever be this messed up and will be come known for it. A re-work will annoy the heck out of some peole, but if they give full refunds of skills and explain in great detail, why they are doing it, it would be better for them in the long run.

Failure to do it, will leave them needing to change the matra of "play the way you like" to "Play the way you like, so long as you have a staff and light armor".

Yes its very sensationalist, but it is what it is.