Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Where are the Dragons ?

Phantax
Phantax
✭✭✭✭✭
I may be wrong but shouldn't there be Dragons at this point in Tamriel's history?
High Elf Sorcerer VR12 - Destro / Resto Staff
I'm a werewolf. If you vamps don't like it.... Bite me !
We're not retreating... we're advancing in a different direction !
  • HandofBane
    HandofBane
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are wrong. Dragons would have been wiped from the face of the continent in the Merethic Era, before the First Era (we are in the mid Second Era now). Some may yet exist, but have gone deep into hiding avoiding all contact with other races.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, there shouldn't be any (except Paarthunax hiding up on top of a mountain). They're pretty much all currently dead and buried, not to be resurrected for centuries. I mean it's possible that there might be one or two others hiding around, but not a lot. Actually, there might be a whole bunch of them over in Akavir for all we know, but not in any of the regions that ESO currently includes.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Phantax
    Phantax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So when was the Dragon War? First era??
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, not very many, and those that are around will probably be keeping low, like Paarthurnax up there on the Throat of the World. A book you can find about Dragonknights is called "Mythical Beast, Real Power".

I'm not sure when the capturing of the dragon at Dragonsreach occurred - it's not in the Timeline, or at least I can't find it - http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline - but wasn't that one of the Septims who did that? Some other stuff also comes later, I think, but yeah, otherwise, they hadn't been really known of since, what, the Merethic era or the early First Era (which lasted a couple of millennia).

Skyrim was a special case/special story. It was made quite clear in that game that the people of Tamriel thought dragons to be just as made-up as we do, forgetting that myths often have some kind of kernel of fact buried in them somewhere (in the RL case, dinosaur bones were probably the inspiration for dragons. The amazing thing is, primitive, non-sciencey people were able to recognize the reptilian traits, apparently.)

Edited by isengrimb16_ESO on 26 May 2014 18:12
  • HandofBane
    HandofBane
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dragon war:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Merethic_Era
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dragon_War

Technically before the First Era, when exact dates were not really kept on things.
  • JosephChip
    JosephChip
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed.

tumblr_n0ac3iY76F1sr9x5bo1_500.gif
  • Aren_Liore
    Aren_Liore
    ✭✭✭
    you may also want to read this found on the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dragons
    Edited by Aren_Liore on 26 May 2014 18:15
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phantax wrote: »
    So when was the Dragon War? First era??
    The Merethic Era - before the First Era (although remnants of the Dragon Cult still existed into the First Era).
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren_Liore wrote: »
    you may also want to read this found on the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dragons

Thanks. That pretty much clears things up. Glad to hear that they remembered to put the burial mounds in the Skyrim regions, too.

So, yes, any dragons still around should be wisely laying very low, because the Greybeards already exist, and have for a while; and the Dragonguard/Blades are probably starting to feel bored.

That being said, I can imagine some special event or something involving ONE (1) dragon. Maybe.
    Edited by isengrimb16_ESO on 26 May 2014 18:21
  • Phantax
    Phantax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm... so no chance of Dragon bone armors then...lol
    Cheers guys, will check those links out and brush up on my lore

;)
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There hasn't been a Dragonborn (not in the Skyrim sense) for thousands of years already, and won't be until 4E201.

As for the royal sense of "dragonborn" ... the ones who can light the fires ... presumably Tiber Septim eventually fills that role, but not for another 300 years or so. With the dragonfires unlit (thank you Velen, you idjit) yeah, I can see why there's an attempted Daedric invasion now, and even why such an embarrassing point in history might be censored out quite heavily later.

As I once heard an historian say - "The so-called Dark Ages ain't dark, they're just garbled and coded." I think a lot of history often gets garbled, and a lot of things that we think are just insane flights of fancy may be .. not so much code, as heavy, in-group metaphor, meant only to be understood by the initiated.

(Case in point - the Gryphon/Griffin - that half-lion, half-eagle beast of mythology. Nowadays, we just think it's a cool mashup. To the medieval mind, it was one of the visual metaphors for Jesus - king of both heaven and earth. It appears for this reason in Dante's Purgatory, as the being who carries St Beatrice to Our Hero, as the revered pagan Virgil demurely steps aside.)

Edited by isengrimb16_ESO on 26 May 2014 18:30
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

;)
    Well, technically people could probably dig up the dragon burial mounds for their bones...
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ur-Quan wrote: »

;)
    Well, technically people could probably dig up the dragon burial mounds for their bones...

No, we can't, because they're still undisturbed in 4E 201 (if you don't kill Mumwossname outside of Whiterun, they won't start waking up, either).

Why such sites should remain undisturbed for so long is beyond me, but maybe it's just because they don't look like anything interesting in the first place.

Edited by isengrimb16_ESO on 26 May 2014 18:50
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Invisible and very, very quiet.
  • ccole.nhub17_ESO
    ccole.nhub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    They only way to put dragons in this game is to have an area, possible expansion, where you are transported to the past before the first area during the dragon wars. It would be hard to pull off and keep consistent with lore, but you never know.
  • KitLightning
    KitLightning
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    Invisible and very, very quiet.

Twue the dwagons finally pewfected teh spell of invisibility, alas, it became too powe'ful and so they eventually stayed invisible... for all etewnety and beyond...
    "I'd rather be insane in a sane world, than sane in an insane world!" ~Me
    Warning - This is a spoiler and looking at it for too long may cause irrecoverable eyesight issues.
    ◔̯◔

MechWarrior: Living Legends – Total conversion modification for Crysis Wars.

kitlightning.deviantart
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

;)

No, we can't, because they're still undisturbed in 4E 201 (if you don't kill Mumwossname outside of Whiterun, they won't start waking up, either).

Why such sites should remain undisturbed for so long is beyond me, but maybe it's just because they don't look like anything interesting in the first place.
    Nah, as long as we remember to bury them again before the 4th era it'll all be good.

If I had to guess why they remained undisturbed through the millenia, I'd say that there's probably magic at work. Maybe some kind of spell of preservation, or some sort of curse that affects anyone who tries to dig them up.
    They only way to put dragons in this game is to have an area, possible expansion, where you are transported to the past before the first area during the dragon wars. It would be hard to pull off and keep consistent with lore, but you never know.
    Not necessarily. We know that the dragons are long gone from Tamriel by this time period, but we don't know if the same is true on other continents. Akavir is a good candidate for a place where there might still be dragons. I mean, the name Akavir actually means "dragon land".
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • HandofBane
    HandofBane
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not necessarily. We know that the dragons are long gone from Tamriel by this time period, but we don't know if the same is true on other continents. Akavir is a good candidate for a place where there might still be dragons. I mean, the name Akavir actually means "dragon land".

From the Dragons UESP link above - "Their numbers dwindled over the years due to many causes: their population in Akavir was wiped out by the Tsaesci, who also brought their onslaught to Tamriel, and the dragons in Vvardenfell were overrun by invading cliff racers."
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HandofBane wrote: »

From the Dragons UESP link above - "Their numbers dwindled over the years due to many causes: their population in Akavir was wiped out by the Tsaesci, who also brought their onslaught to Tamriel, and the dragons in Vvardenfell were overrun by invading cliff racers."
    Yes, but we don't know when they were wiped out in Akavir, because we barely know anything about the history of Akavir. It could be a process that's still ongoing by the time of ESO, or it could have been done already by the time of the dragon war in Tamriel. We don't know.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • isengrimb16_ESO
    isengrimb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

;)

Nah, as long as we remember to bury them again before the 4th era it'll all be good.

If I had to guess why they remained undisturbed through the millenia, I'd say that there's probably magic at work. Maybe some kind of spell of preservation, or some sort of curse that affects anyone who tries to dig them up.

Yes, a curse on such sites (or an illusion spell) or even rumours of them being cursed sites might be enough to make them untouchable. Hogwarts is affected by such a spell - anyone who read the books knows that any Muggle who comes across it only sees a ruin with yellow danger/police tape around it.

And yeah, the exact details of foreign continents is up for grabs, lore-wise. I'd love to see a new beast race out of the foreign continents, besides cats and lizards. Lord knows there's enough variety of elves and humans!
  • HandofBane
    HandofBane
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes, but we don't know when they were wiped out in Akavir, because we barely know anything about the history of Akavir. It could be a process that's still ongoing by the time of ESO, or it could have been done already by the time of the dragon war in Tamriel. We don't know.

True, though it's not unreasonable to assume they had done so before the end of the First Era, when the Tsaesci launched their invasion of Tamriel. If your species has taken on a long running genocidal task against creatures who could burn entire towns by themselves, would you leave it unfinished before invading neighbors far over the seas?
  • Nazon_Katts
    Nazon_Katts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broken.
    "You've probably figured that out by now. Let's hope so. Or we're in real trouble... and out come the intestines. And I skip rope with them!"
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

True, though it's not unreasonable to assume they had done so before the end of the First Era, when the Tsaesci launched their invasion of Tamriel. If your species has taken on a long running genocidal task against creatures who could burn entire towns by themselves, would you leave it unfinished before invading neighbors far over the seas?
    Probably not, but we know that they came to Tamriel at least in part because of a prophecy (at least, if I'm remembering part of Skyrim correctly). People do all kinds of things that may not seem logical when they believe that they're fulfilling a prophecy.

Also, wasn't there something in the lore about the Tsaesci actually enslaving some of the dragons rather than just exterminating them, or am I remembering that wrong?
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I may be wrong but shouldn't there be Dragons at this point in Tamriel's history?

Um, No, well maybe a few stragglers, who are getting hunted by the Akaviri Dragonguard, but they'll be hiding mostly. By this point in history most dragons are dead.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There hasn't been a Dragonborn (not in the Skyrim sense) for thousands of years already, and won't be until 4E201.
    Um, wrong. There is generally at least one Dragonborn around at anytime, who then uses the Amulet of kings to start the Dragonfire. otherwise Deadra can freely invade Tamriel.

Not every Dragonborn ruled, and it certainly was hereditary until Tiber Septims time. (which raises the question why it was called the Amulet of Kings prior to him) But they did exist, in fact the Reman Emperors were Dragonborn.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • www.spideypeb18_ESO
    The dragons are dead, but only the dragonborn can make sure they stay that way by absorbing their souls and not every dragonborn has been a warrior capable of slaying dragons. *Technically they are wyverns*
  • Kayira
    Kayira
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dragons were only present in Skyrim, neither Oblivion nor Morrowind had dragons meaning that Tamriel does not have Dragons everywhere. Also they have been eradicated before this storyline. So yeah no dragons for now. They might be added in a future expansion though (wouldn't surprise me)
    EU PC
    In Game Tag: @Silthoras

Raid Mains: Warden and Templar Heals
    DDs: Mag Sorc and Mag Necro
  • randomriffyrocksprerb18_ESO
    I think I may have found the bones of dragons in the Bone Orchard in Grahtwood. I also think Dringoth may have been a dragon (The Destroyer) before he was cursed into an elven body. I also found a HUGE skull of some sort dugged up by the Worm cultists, it talked to me, its a friend of Dringoth but I cannot remember the name??

Anyways they could be Bones of Dragons.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kayira wrote: »
    Dragons were only present in Skyrim, neither Oblivion nor Morrowind had dragons meaning that Tamriel does not have Dragons everywhere.
    Actually, the lack of dragons in Oblivion or Morrowind doesn't mean that Tamriel doesn't have dragons everywhere, it means that Tamriel doesn't have dragons everywhen. Those games, like ESO, were set during a time period when there really weren't any living dragons in Tamriel (exceptions such as Paarthurnax aside). Having said that, Skyrim is obviously the part of Tamriel which had the most dragons by far back during the time period when they were around, as that's where the dragon cult was, and that's where you find dragon burial mounds.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)