Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

cyodiil lag

Relicz
Relicz
✭✭
Is everyone experience the sever lag in cyodiil I'm in wabajack
  • skarvika
    skarvika
    ✭✭✭✭
    I *tried* playing in Wabbajack today. Tried meaning the lag is so bad that I gave up because it was just unplayable. I feel your pain.
    QQing is a full time job
  • KrisButtar
    KrisButtar
    ✭✭✭
    It was like that for me as well yesterday. I haven't tried today
  • Relicz
    Relicz
    ✭✭
    yeah small groups was fun but skills were unresponsive at times. zergs just lagged the whole time I couldn't do a damn thing
  • psirk2ub17_ESO
    Yep. Even at the best of times I can have >500ms delay between button press and action *start*. Bolt escape is unusable, massive delay between animation and the toon actually moving. And this is with relatively small battle groups (<30 players total).

I've honestly started to play "certain other games" that shall not be named just so I can remember what non-laggy pvp is like. Not as fun as a non-lagfest ESO can be but what are you going to do?
  • Relicz
    Relicz
    ✭✭
    small groups has still been fun but zergs are dumb can't even charge
  • AshleyLee
    AshleyLee
    ✭✭✭
    I believe, and this is only my opinion based on other games, that much of the lag in cyrodiil is related to "player's latency". In games like Battlefield , they have very strict limited on number of players and maximum amount of latency before they kicked from the server. Usually 150-250ms maximum.

I dont believe ESO has anything close to this limit. I would suspect it is closer to 800-1000ms. In order to "sync" player actions basicically everbody is "slowed" to the highest latency player. This only works up to a point.

In my opinion ESO needs to shorten the maximum allowed latency in Cyrodiil drastically. Basically it needs to have a latency check before you can even queue into cyrodiil. While we all may get spikes in latency it would be people who have consistent latency in the 400ms+ category that will likely be causing this lag. It is also likely that the worst lag is when there are many, perhaps dozens of players with high latency. Not just one player but with a population cap of 2k players per instance of cyrodiil, it would seem likely to me that this is the case.

Whether or not ESO is able to accomplish this will depend on the "backend" of the software that tracks players. However, I don't think we will see an end to the lag in HIGH population Cyrodiil instances, until they do.

Other games have handled this differently, AION for example, and badly IMO, allows u to spam skills as fast as your latency allows. Lower ping you are able to dominate in PvP more than others. I dont agree with that system, and I think MMOs in general have moved away from that model of MASS pvp. AION is the only other MMO I have played with ESO scale mass pvp of hundreds of people in a mass free for all PvP. (faction vs faction).
  • ferzalrwb17_ESO
    ferzalrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Above post is nonsense. The lag is not caused by the lowest ping. No game in the history of games has worked like that.
  • snowmanflvb14_ESO
    snowmanflvb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was in wabbajack with some guildmates. Although I was not effected nor was one of our mates the others were. Since there is the servers are down for 1 hour today I expect it to be fine when they come back
    Magic is impressive but now Minsc leads SWORDS FOR EVERYONE!!
  • Relicz
    Relicz
    ✭✭
    I was in wabbajack with some guildmates. Although I was not effected nor was one of our mates the others were. Since there is the servers are down for 1 hour today I expect it to be fine when they come back

The downtime was for craglorn experience exploit which they failed to fix just made it less affective. The lag is going crazy today can't roll with the zerg at all
  • ferzalrwb17_ESO
    ferzalrwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't get near a zerg. It's laggy enough 1v1 in the middle of nowhere but everyone wants to zerg so to find any action you have to go near the zerg and if you get within 500 metres of it you're entering a slideshow of random button mash madness.