Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Holding off on main and guild quests?

METALPUNKS
METALPUNKS
✭✭✭
What happens if you do this besides not getting xp if you are too high level? The main quest is every 5 levels, so what if I skipped them until level 25 then went back? With guild I think it's every ten or so, what if I skip the level 15 one and don't do it until I'm level 30?
  • chaosme
    chaosme
    ✭✭✭
    You still get xp from clearing it even if you are over level. Nothing much to lose other than getting lower level quest rewards.
  • METALPUNKS
    METALPUNKS
    ✭✭✭
    chaosme wrote: »
    You still get xp from clearing it even if you are over level. Nothing much to lose other than getting lower level quest rewards.

Ok,thanks. I heard the quest gets greed out that why I ask and I thought you don't get xp from killing the enemies after 6 levels? No?
  • Srugzal
    Srugzal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The quest rewards help you the most when they come at or above your current level, because, correct me if I'm wrong, they're scaled to the XP range of the quest level. I think instanced group dungeons are an exception to this, but I'm not sure.

In any case, when you're overleveled (5 or more) then you get no XP for mobs and little loot other than mats (hides, carapaces, and the like) and maybe under-leveled boss drops, and more importantly, combat doesn't charge your Ultimate, which tends to make boss fights harder.
  • Singular
    Singular
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skipping them makes the quests easier and slightly faster for you, but reduces your overall xp/min. You will not get xp for kills and the completion xp is set to the level, so at higher levels, you won't gain much. Also the end reward items will be outdated for you - but you can sell them in guild auctions or use them for crafting.

I've been doing it just b/c I wasn't paying attention - been farming mobs for xp. It's fun and, if you are pushing your limits, teaches you how to quickly react with limited resources. Plus, I eventually find questing super boring with all the "click through the description, open map, go to arrow point, click E, open map, go to new direction point, click E, open map, go to new arrow point, click through description, go somewhere else, click click click etc., etc., get reward."

That gets thoroughly boring after a while. So I farm xp and go back to the main quests later.

But then you're over level for the quests and they feel like they're wasting your time until the completion. Hence, it's better to do them at level if you want to max xp/min. If you just enjoy the story and enjoy playing in god-mode, it's all good.
    Edited by Singular on 25 May 2014 05:42
    War, give me war, give me war.
  • TheGrandAlliance
    TheGrandAlliance
    ✭✭✭✭
    WEll.. if you ever want to get into the vet zones u need to finish main quest of course.
    Indeed it is so...
  • Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I skipped all main quests until I felt like doing it, which is around level 48, right before going VR.

What I think I missed out:
    - mobXP/time; it is true that this will be lower, but there's just so many quests that its gray-ed out all the time. And I do my quests on low lv req-high lv req basis.
    - A great story. (Personally feel that Sai needs a better personality/dialogue touch)
    - Synergy with other quests, it just doesn't feel right. Even if I can zoom through the quests, it will still take up some additional travelling time. Bring your fastest horse.
    - The jewellery. They give proper, wanted, jewellery that you will want.

Why I think skipping is worth it:
    - Travelling back and forth to Harborage is annoying and time consuming, there, I said it. (Even if travel to player and use wayshrine, it's still 2 loading screens)
    - Any bugged quests were all patched up for me. I only have to deal with bugged zone quests which may or may not be as important as main.
    - Boss fights are likely eating cake if you are on the same level; They will be like being fed tiramisu if you over level them.
    - You can level any unused weapon/skills with the main quest to around 18-20; skills usually reach morph, high req skills go to rank III pre morph.
    People keep telling me they're gonna buy me an ale. They never do.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

Help make this compilation complete!
    Compilation of Ideas and Suggestions