Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Texture Error and Memory Leak

k9mouse
k9mouse
✭✭✭✭✭
I am wondering if the Memory Leak and the pink - purple blobs (aka missing textures) are related. When ZOS fixed the memory leak, will the missing texture issue will go away also? ZOS is working on the memory fix now.

I have no crashes, but I can only play about 30- 40 minutes before I have to exit the game and log back in due to the missing texture issue. It really breaks up the flow of quests and "getting into the story" of them.
  • pinstripesc
    pinstripesc
    ✭✭✭
    I was just discussing this in another post. I've been getting the pink terror too, freaks me out when it starts. Mine goes for about 1 hour+ then starts acting up. The game continues to run as normal, but I've also noticed item images disappearing and weirdness too.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here -- Icons for inventory stuff are missing, then objects then NPC's. I am just wondering if the memory leak and missing textures are related?
  • Slickzter
    Slickzter
    Soul Shriven
    When a video card runs short of caching memory, any card it doesn't matter.
    Textures can default back to whatever skin palette. It can be pink, blue, black and sometimes missing all together. skyboxes, or windows with a view in dungeons, and sometimes water will all default to 1 color.

This has to do with the memory leak in the other post. Personally it think there is a dual problem, one with the rendering of the new skins, and another with the change they did for 3d/fullscreen/windowed.
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Slickzter Thanks for the insight, It is more clear now. When ZOS fixed the memory leak, will it only slow down the missing texture issue? They still have to fix the other half of the issue dealing with the new full screen mode?
  • VlVEC
    VlVEC
    ✭✭✭
    Zenimax is aware of the issue from what I understand, you'll most likely have to wait for a fix if it's gamebreaking.
    The beginning of the words is ALMSIVI. I give you this as Vivec.
    Almalexia, Sotha Sil, and Vivec.
    ヽ༼ຈ༽ل͜༼ຈ༽ノ
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VlVEC wrote: »
    Zenimax is aware of the issue from what I understand, you'll most likely have to wait for a fix if it's gamebreaking.

@VlVEC
    I know :) I am not mad or anything, just trying to understand the tech side of the issue. o:) The game is playable, just have to take more breaks then I want too -- lol
  • VlVEC
    VlVEC
    ✭✭✭
    I played for 4 hours tonight without any problems, then I saw this post and was surprised there was even an issue.
    ヽ༼ຈ༽ل͜༼ຈ༽ノ
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like most bugs, it is really hit and miss. Out of the patch, this is the only bug that I have and it is a small one. Others are not so lucky :'( Before the patch, I use to play for hours at a time with no trouble. I am running crossfire and my ATI 7800 videos cards only 1 GB each on them. May be that is why it is affecting me?
  • VlVEC
    VlVEC
    ✭✭✭
    k9mouse wrote: »
    Like most bugs, it is really hit and miss. Out of the patch, this is the only bug that I have and it is a small one. Others are not so lucky :'( Before the patch, I use to play for hours at a time with no trouble. I am running crossfire and my ATI 7800 videos cards only 1 GB each on them. May be that is why it is affecting me?

I have the exact same video card, no issue here.
    ヽ༼ຈ༽ل͜༼ຈ༽ノ
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @VlVEC
    Are you running crossfire also or use a single one?
    Edited by k9mouse on 24 May 2014 11:52
  • VlVEC
    VlVEC
    ✭✭✭
    Single 7850.
    ヽ༼ຈ༽ل͜༼ຈ༽ノ
  • pinstripesc
    pinstripesc
    ✭✭✭
    I have an ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro.
  • Anlaemar
    Anlaemar
    ✭✭✭
    Had the same problem last night. Game crashed on me during a dungeon right before the final boss.
    (NA) Anlaemar with 750+ Champion Points
    Member Since April 15, 2014
    (EP)Alrik Vadason - Nord Dragonknight
    Tank
    (EP)Matdasi Hlarrobar - Breton Mageblade
    Formerly known as Ra'dar Ahdhari - Main DPS 40k Self Buffed
    (EP)Marrec Vadason - Breton Templar Healer
    (EP)Nameless - Altmer Sorcerer - Secondary DPS
    - The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason -
  • p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    p_tsakirisb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played 6 hours last night and 4 hours this morning, no issue what so ever. No crashes, no memory leaks, nor even missing textures.

The game doesn't take more than 1.4GB RAM, and with everything maxed out my GTX780 has the normal 3GB VRAM usage. And the performance is improved also due to the proper Full Screen mode now.

I would suggest anyone who has issues run the game on FULL SCREEN.

Not window, nor maximised window. These two by default going to consume more memory.

You do understand you are on absolute minimum graphic card yes? Which is a 7 years old one also.

• k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am running in true fullscreen mode and still have missing textures, but no crashes. This only happen after the patch.
  • pinstripesc
    pinstripesc
    ✭✭✭
    I played 6 hours last night and 4 hours this morning, no issue what so ever. No crashes, no memory leaks, nor even missing textures.

The game doesn't take more than 1.4GB RAM, and with everything maxed out my GTX780 has the normal 3GB VRAM usage. And the performance is improved also due to the proper Full Screen mode now.

I would suggest anyone who has issues run the game on FULL SCREEN.

Not window, nor maximised window. These two by default going to consume more memory.

You do understand you are on absolute minimum graphic card yes? Which is a 7 years old one also.

Absolutely lol, which is why I'm not complaining. My HD 6870 was manhandled by an airline and a friend graciously gave me the only thing he had available. Frankly I'm surprised I can even do minimum.
  • silvermayne45b14_ESO
    silvermayne45b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I disabled my crossfire and the memory leak slowed down considerably. Could the issue be related to people who have crossfire enabled? I now have to run my graphics on medium, but my computer doesn't freeze up within 15 minutes of playing.
    Edited by silvermayne45b14_ESO on 24 May 2014 16:12
  • Frenzypanda
    Frenzypanda
    ✭✭
    I am running xfire 6970s and yes I experiencing memory leak and "pinky and the brain bug". I cannot even alt tab now. Once I alt tab, my cards become very loud!!!! Then when I alt tabbed back, black screen for a minute and if you are lucky, graphics load or else "eso have closed unexpectedly".

Where you guys find your programmers from? Jeez. From a playable game which I enjoy, you guys pushed an expansion out which is completely unacceptable and broke the game for me. I do not even dare to try trials for fear of crashing or pink glitch during tanking.

I do look upon it as the next most fun game after DAOC but since when do players experience such crap in Shrouded Isles or Trials of Atlantis? Seriously, producer of daoc worked on this game?
    Edited by Frenzypanda on 24 May 2014 16:49
  • Vortimere
    Vortimere
    I disabled my crossfire and the memory leak slowed down considerably. Could the issue be related to people who have crossfire enabled? I now have to run my graphics on medium, but my computer doesn't freeze up within 15 minutes of playing.
    Username "Gwarkok" posted a response he got to submitted ticket here:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/880961#Comment_880961

Possible cause number two given by the ZoS responder was SLI/Crossfire...
    2.) When running a very powerful computer and trying to do a Crossfire/SLI setup; because the system has so much virtual memory that it will scramble the high amount of virtual memory which causes the same type of virtual memory bleed.

For very powerful systems, to disable this feature, simply open the NVIDIA Control Panel and select 3D Settings. Click on the 3D Settings tab in the upper menu bar. Finally, select do not use SLI technology.
  • Scaraben
    Scaraben
    ✭✭✭
    I have a single Radeon HD 5700. Have same problem. I'm assuming the memory leak is causing it as well. Usually takes about half an hour or so for the pink textures to pop up. Game crashes another 20-30 minutes after that if I don't manually close it out. Windowed vs. fullscreen mode doesn't seem to make a difference.
  • VlVEC
    VlVEC
    ✭✭✭
    Scaraben wrote: »
    I have a single Radeon HD 5700. Have same problem. I'm assuming the memory leak is causing it as well. Usually takes about half an hour or so for the pink textures to pop up. Game crashes another 20-30 minutes after that if I don't manually close it out. Windowed vs. fullscreen mode doesn't seem to make a difference.
    Or it's the fact you have a 6 year old graphics card.
    ヽ༼ຈ༽ل͜༼ຈ༽ノ
  • Scaraben
    Scaraben
    ✭✭✭
    VlVEC wrote: »
    Scaraben wrote: »
    Or it's the fact you have a 6 year old graphics card.

My six-year-old graphics card ran the game fine before this patch.