Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

I've been playing ESO for around a week.

Millionaires
Millionaires
✭✭✭
I decided to wrote up a quick review, while I'm drinking my coffee and backing up everything because my PC is on the fritz..

It's been a nice week actually, the start was hazey and I had issues with actually making an account, I got the game in-store, and it said 30 days of gametime, so I was like sweet! -- I made my account and was eager to make my first toon and play the game all night. However whenever I tried to log-in I was hit with a message informing me to set up a subscription, I was furious because I thought I had 30 days gametime, a few words to Customer Support, words that I fully regret, in the end I was given a free one day gametime sub to activate my service, mind you, each reply took 7 minutes. Mind you only the first reply was copy and pasted, the rest where done by hand.

Actual game play, like all MMO's you have to plan, my original plan was to be a stealth DPS, NB fit this, however I made it too level 9 and realized this isn't what I wanted. Remade my character, and made it a Sorc, focusing on healing.
This worked out good, because everyone always needs a healer/tank, most MMO's have a DPS overflow.

I made it to around level 10 in a day, didn't take long, the game had me locked in, no one could talk to me, all they got was 'ok' as a response, fully in the zone, I started my first dungeon, nerves were raising, I didn't want to disappoint my team, I informed them I was new to the game and they said it's alright, we pushed through the dungeon slowly, they kept waiting for me and asking if I was okay/doing fine etc.

We only wiped once and that was because my mouse died, haha. I've been in groups on other MMO's where one wipe = leave.This group however laughed it off and we attempted it again! - Since I got the game, I have played it daily for at least 5+ hours, while I'm still not max rank but I'm around 31, so almost there! I'm enjoying every minute of the game.

As for the bots, every MMO has them, it's not a new thing and Zeni has done nothing wrong about them, it's a costly and a lengthy process to get rid of them. In fact, the bots don't effect me that much, maybe because I can throw a heal on them and I get the exp and drops for the mobs they kill, so yeah.

But excessive complaining about the botting issue isn't going to make it just disappear; I can assure you, Zeni is working on it. It'll just take time!

Now the last thing I want to address the general community, while there is some good, theirs more bad. I have seen people cancelling subs because something was nerfed.. really? Its an MMO, things will be nerfed all the time, they also get buffed, you have to suck it up and find a new playstyle, the main complaint is about the Nightblade, you have an assassin class, it's going to be the main target of nerfs because an assassin instantly deleting another class is anti-fun.

I'll give a brief rating on core things, then in general.

Gameplay: 4/5 -- You can do almost anything you want, I'd love to see the anchors being buffed so they're not soloable. Neds more group play.

Audio: 4/5 -- Everything is voiced, that's amazing! However the issue is that somethings have a large radius, it's clear in Rivenspire. You can hear each Dolman pop, the quest about Ranser pop and other annoying things. (yes.. while over the otherside of the map too.)

Cities: 2/5 -- Copy and pasted, I hate it. While some are unique most towns/villages/cities are carbon copies of another! Roads, houses and inns are all the exact same, inside and out.

HUD: 5/5 -- You only got 5 because you allowed add-ons, without that I'd drop you to a 2 as it's terrible.

That's all I'll touch for now, as the thread is getting large, and I doubt most people will even read it, however I highly suggest you don't cancel your sub because of a change, no matter what MMO you play, changes will happen.

Edited by Millionaires on 23 May 2014 07:16
  • SirJesto
    SirJesto
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments. Welcome to Tamriel.
  • Swampster
    Swampster
    ✭✭✭
    Cities: 2/5 -- Copy and pasted, I hate it. While some are unique most towns/villages/cities are carbon copies of another! Roads, houses and inns are all the exact same, inside and out.

Get used to it you'll find that's a common theme throught the game.. dungeons/delves being a prime example. Considering the size of the game download I was pretty shocked at how offten game assets are reused..

esocopypasta.jpg

Edited by Swampster on 23 May 2014 08:10
    Swampriel - Nightblade (Archer Build) - Ebonheart Pact - Veteran
    Swampess - DragonKnight - Eboheart Pact - Lowbie Faceroller
  • Lovely
    Lovely
    ✭✭✭
    That's cool. Level some more and review the whole thing again when you're bigger.
  • LadyLothi
    LadyLothi
    ✭✭✭

Agree! One of the things I loved about the ES games was that you always knew in which city / region you were in just by the architecture in that town.
    You just could not confuse Bravil with Cheydinhal, or Riften with Solitude.

The regions are still very different from each other, but once you are in Skyrim, houses are basically all the same. (although I like that Viking architecture with the massive wood beams, already loved it in Bruma)

"It's easy, a child of five could do it. Unfortunately, we don't have a child of five, so I have to walk YOU through it." Abnur Tharn <3
  • Millionaires
    Millionaires
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely wrote: »
    That's cool. Level some more and review the whole thing again when you're bigger.

Hello,
    Thanks for your post, it's something I'll do again once I hit max rank. I doubt my opinion will change much, however I'll be able to give a more dynamic and on-par review of certain aspects -- such as crafting, bosses and end game content. :)!
  • Kroueneth
    Kroueneth
    A very interesting an agreeable review! Thanks for your feedback -- we seemingly share a lot of viewpoints.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Audio: 4/5 -- Everything is voiced, that's amazing! However the issue is that somethings have a large radius, it's clear in Rivenspire. You can hear each Dolman pop, the quest about Ranser pop and other annoying things. (yes.. while over the otherside of the map too.)

This was fixed in the most recent patch:
    Corrected many issues that allowed sounds meant to be played only in an enclosed area to be heard from outside that space.

• sagitter
    sagitter
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen people cancelling subs because something was nerfed.. really? Its an MMO, things will be nerfed all the time, they also get buffed, you have to suck it up and find a new playstyle, the main complaint is about the Nightblade, you have an assassin class, it's going to be the main target of nerfs because an assassin instantly deleting another class is anti-fun.

This is not the reason but the fact is that NB got lot of bugged abilities, the assassination line that should be the most usefull skill line for an assassin aka nighblade, is the useless skill line, weak ultimate, only 2 offensive abilities , assassin blade usefull only vs low health target and teleport strike . Haste is broken . Mark, cannot see much difference using it or not in pvp, blur nothing special. There are also others abilities not working correctly.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LadyLothi wrote: »

Agree! One of the things I loved about the ES games was that you always knew in which city / region you were in just by the architecture in that town.
    You just could not confuse Bravil with Cheydinhal, or Riften with Solitude.

The regions are still very different from each other, but once you are in Skyrim, houses are basically all the same. (although I like that Viking architecture with the massive wood beams, already loved it in Bruma)
    The positive side is that you see various racial styles as you move into new areas, often mixes of them, some places even have mixes like an town with a dumer and argonian district.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swampster wrote: »

Get used to it you'll find that's a common theme throught the game.. dungeons/delves being a prime example. Considering the size of the game download I was pretty shocked at how offten game assets are reused..

esocopypasta.jpg

That picture purposely omitted those dungeons that actually are unique. Where are the Bonesnap ruins? Where is Obsidian scar?

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/File:ON-map-Bonesnap_Ruins_Secret_Base.jpg
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/File:ON-map-Obsidian_Scar.jpg

I hate it when people twist facts to suit their agenda (not meaning you Swampster, i mean the guy who made that picture in the firstplace)
  • Garetth
    Garetth
    ✭✭✭✭

esocopypasta.jpg

more profit less content is a win for ZOS and who gives a *** about us players, right?

• WylieCoyote1511
    WylieCoyote1511
    ✭✭✭

esocopypasta.jpg

Wow I didn't know this!! That's some lazy dungeon design.

• Aeradon
    Aeradon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool review. Would love to see more reviews coming from you as you level up.
    People keep telling me they're gonna buy me an ale. They never do.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's culture. And the Elves.

Help make this compilation complete!
    Compilation of Ideas and Suggestions
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

esocopypasta.jpg

That picture purposely omitted those dungeons that actually are unique. Where are the Bonesnap ruins? Where is Obsidian scar?

I hate it when people twist facts to suit their agenda (not meaning you Swampster, i mean the guy who made that picture in the firstplace)
    Worse they bundled dungeons who maps looks pretty similar together.
    This is mostly true on the first group.
    Not so many way to make an 2-3 room dungeon :)

Still lots of the solo dungeons has the Oblivion dungeon design feeling :)
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Swampster
    Swampster
    ✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

But it doesn't really twist anything really, all the graphic does is show us the C&P dungeon layouts.. and gives us the actual numberical stats of numbers copied and not.

And whichever way you slice it.. 70% is a high proportion of copied assets, and pretty lazy design.

Whatever, the number copied is really high.. I hadn't seen this graphic previous to me actually searching the interweb for people's opinions on C&P design, as I was already thinking to myself.. "these dungeons all look the same" and I remember FFIXV taking an absolute battering for over use of assets.

Edited by Swampster on 23 May 2014 09:09
    Swampriel - Nightblade (Archer Build) - Ebonheart Pact - Veteran
    Swampess - DragonKnight - Eboheart Pact - Lowbie Faceroller
  • Lovely
    Lovely
    ✭✭✭
    @Millionaires‌
    I'll do again once I hit max rank

I wasn't being sarcastic or anything. I am actually interested to see how / if your view changes. Mine changed a bit, on some parts into better, on some into worse. I think it would be interesting to see how this goes say when you reach max and then again int VRs and so on.

• Millionaires
    Millionaires
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely wrote: »
    @Millionaires‌
    I'll do again once I hit max rank

I wasn't being sarcastic or anything. I am actually interested to see how / if your view changes. Mine changed a bit, on some parts into better, on some into worse. I think it would be interesting to see how this goes say when you reach max and then again int VRs and so on.

It's okay, I understood what you meant, I'll update the game sometime soon (when I get my PC fixed) and then try and reach max, of course not rushing at all, I've been playing at a slow pace, I'll also go into a bit more detail!

It's great to see someone interested, I thought this would be ignored fully and people would just troll on it. :)